Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Uber from Birmingham to Manchester

Uber from Birmingham to Manchester

Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by MADPhil
I know that but there are evening trains if you choose to add a hotel. If you decide to go by road on Sunday morning then at least you should not have a traffic problem, which removes one incentive for spending the night at the airport, but given that it will be a long day there is much to be said for not starting it earlier than you must.
do you think 630 is fine? Or 645?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by slickvik
do you think 630 is fine? Or 645?
I will leave that to others since I am not local. MAN can be quite a zoo as it has a lot of throughput, mostly vacationers, and lines can be long if you lack status and are not in business class.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I will leave that to others since I am not local. MAN can be quite a zoo as it has a lot of throughput, mostly vacationers, and lines can be long if you lack status and are not in business class.
I'm in economy class Singapore airlines
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:01 pm

I'm in economy class Singapore airlines
They use Terminal 2, which is terra incognita for me. I would aim to be at the airport by 8:00 and Google maps suggests this would mean leaving a generic Birmingham location by 6:30. You can buy Fast Track security access, which might save you a bit of time if things are busy. T2 is a bit less cramped than T3 so perhaps the check-in lines are better organised! I assume that there will be places for breakfast after security so that you can make good use of the time if you get through quickly.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

They use Terminal 2, which is terra incognita for me. I would aim to be at the airport by 8:00 and Google maps suggests this would mean leaving a generic Birmingham location by 6:30. You can buy Fast Track security access, which might save you a bit of time if things are busy. T2 is a bit less cramped than T3 so perhaps the check-in lines are better organised! I assume that there will be places for breakfast after security so that you can make good use of the time if you get through quickly.
What is fast track security access, is that a UK thing?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:55 pm

What is fast track security access, is that a UK thing?
It's a UK thing in that you can pay for it and it is (usually) a shorter line. You end up with the same security checks. It is like the lines for people with status or in premium cabins who do not have Pre-Check at US airports and such people usually get Fast Track from the airline in the UK. The UK does not trust any travellers so there is nothing like Pre-Check!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

It's a UK thing in that you can pay for it and it is (usually) a shorter line. You end up with the same security checks. It is like the lines for people with status or in premium cabins who do not have Pre-Check at US airports and such people usually get Fast Track from the airline in the UK. The UK does not trust any travellers so there is nothing like Pre-Check!
Do you think it's worth buying? Right now it's 7.5 pounds for 2 people
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:38 pm

Do you think it's worth buying? Right now it's 7.5 pounds for 2 people
I don't remember what it costs at the airport but I would be inclined to wait and see how long the lines are and how fast they are moving. If you don't mind paying the 7.50 in advance and not worrying about it then go ahead, it's one less thing to do at the airport.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I live by the M6 and south of Manchester Airport.

My advice is never to rely on the M6 when you have a plane to catch. Unless you need to be in Birmingham on the Saturday night, I would get the train to Manchester and spend the night at Manchester Aiport, or one of the many hotels next to Piccadilly Station, then train in to the airport on Sunday.

Edited to Add:

Last train from BHM to MAN is 22:31, so time for an evening in Brum.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
I live by the M6 and south of Manchester Airport.

My advice is never to rely on the M6 when you have a plane to catch. Unless you need to be in Birmingham on the Saturday night, I would get the train to Manchester and spend the night at Manchester Aiport, or one of the many hotels next to Piccadilly Station, then train in to the airport on Sunday.

Edited to Add:

I was told there is some construction work happening on the M6 near the airport.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold

And that's something to look forward to!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:00 pm

I was told there is some construction work happening on the M6 near the airport.
Yes - a long section with reduced speed limits and frequent delays

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
And that's something to look forward to!
Is that the evening or the train? I'm sure they both have their "attractions"
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Yes - a long section with reduced speed limits and frequent delays
How bad would this be on a Sunday morning?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:53 pm

How bad would this be on a Sunday morning?
You can check with Google maps. Right now it says 1:49 for the trip including 0:27 delay, with M6 still the fastest route.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:03 pm

The M6 is a lottery. I've sailed through at rush hour with no delays and have been stuck in a jam at 3am.

Chances are you'll be fine on a Sunday morning and do the trip in under two hours. Though there is also a small chance that you'll be stuck in a jam for 30 minutes+

I take the train in preference to the road wherever possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.