Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

MAN Domestic Arrival to Train Platform Transfer Time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

I'm arriving into MAN from EXT (domestic) on BE373 this Saturday. How much time should I factor in to collect a checked bag and get to the train platform at the airport station?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Note that if you book your onward train with Transpennine Express on an advanced ticket, they offer flexibility in the event of delays - details at https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/special-...ester-airport/
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Allow 15 minutes walk from T3 to the station.

Baggage can take up to 30 minutes depending on the arrival time lottery.

Gagravarr makes a good point about the advanced tickets re-booking offered by TPE
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Give yourself an hour. The route to the station isn't intuitiive, can be quite clunky (lifts and escalator/walkways). Yesterday one walkway was down and the escalator down to the ticketing area was closed (wait for the lift and the "doors closing"..."doors opening" business).
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

An hour?! I can land of an intl flight into Heathrow and be at Paddington in less than that...
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Note that if you book your onward train with Transpennine Express on an advanced ticket, they offer flexibility in the event of delays - details at https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/special-...ester-airport/
Note that you need to have your train ticket endorsed at the ticket office to take advantage of this, and, officially at least, they will only do this in the wake of a documented flight delay.

If you miss your train because your bags took too long to come out, or (not applicable in your case) immigration delays, or because you stopped too long for a pee and a coffee, you're out of luck.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by armouredant
An hour?! I can land of an intl flight into Heathrow and be at Paddington in less than that...
With checked luggage, like the OP?

I could be in Manc Central in under an hour from a domestic flight with no bags. International could be the same, depending on the immigration queues.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could, but i wouldn't suggest anyone schedule the day around such efficiency

It's taken me the best part of an hour to get out of Heathrow, travelling with luggage.

MAN's terminal 3 is very awkwardly sited for access to the rail station, particularly if you are trundling with baggage.

There are external, street-level walkways, a short-cut up stairs or a variable wait for lifts. Then internal walkways to a lift or escalator (often not working) down to the ticketing level followed by another escalator/ramp/walkway down to the trains.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:00 pm

Having recently flown in and out of MAN, I would agree with the hour time estimate. Everything about ground transportation there was a mess, a slow, annoying mess.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I have made it in less than 15 minutes from walking of the plane HBO but I know the route. BA have been quite good with bags (less than 15 minutes) but it is a lottery. My last flight was delayed quite a bit and I needed most of the 90 minutes I had to connect. With trains every hour I did not think TPE would accept 30 minutes as a reasonable connection time.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Having recently flown in and out of MAN, I would agree with the hour time estimate. Everything about ground transportation there was a mess, a slow, annoying mess.
MAN has become my number one airport. And just about everything about it is (an expensive) mess. The saving grace are workers there who soothe me with good humour and common sense: and that even includes just one or two in the security theatre..

Remember - this is the airport which allowed some sort of pipe bomb on an aircraft, but where bottles of shampoo are cheerfully confiscated from holiday-makers hand luggage.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Update: I managed to go carry on only and booked a cab instead of the train. We taxied to the gate at 11:16am, walked out of the terminal at 11:22am. Now it's 11:32am and I'm on the M62. Very pleased.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:50 am

Update: I managed to go carry on only and booked a cab instead of the train. We taxied to the gate at 11:16am, walked out of the terminal at 11:22am. Now it's 11:32am and I'm on the M62. Very pleased.
It's not often you hear someone being pleased to be on the M62

Glad it worked out and thanks for the update!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Remember - this is the airport which allowed some sort of pipe bomb on an aircraft, but where bottles of shampoo are cheerfully confiscated from holiday-makers hand luggage.
And the Level A security supervisor witch confiscated the FreeFrom food from my companion because neither the pudding (cake thing w/ a bit of sauce) or the pasta (commercially packed/sealed) specified the ratio of liquid to solid on the label. The pudding was 110 ml total volume - she claimed it could be over 100 ml of liquid "and thus clearly not allowable".

There's nothing like having problems with hypoglycemia somewhere over the north Atlantic because of a witch on a power trip. (no, we couldn't "just buy something past security" for someone with coeliac and multiple food allergies)

May she rot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.