Reload this Page >

Imperial War Museum Duxford

Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Having been to the IWM in London many times I wasn't aware they had other locations until my sister and her daughter face timed me yesterday in front of a BOAC-liveried VC-10!

She then took me inside to an impressive static display. They even have Concorde their too. I will definitely take a trip there in November when I'm in town. I forgot to ask how long it took her from Canterbury to get there but it looks like it's in Cambridge?

Anyone else been here?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:41 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's quite near me, and I've driven past it a hundred times, but never been in. Not quite in Cambridge - it's just off the M11 but not a million miles from Whittlesford Parkway station.

We do have a very odd aircraft collection on our doorstep though (often seen above us at weekends) - the Shuttleworth Collection, at Old Warden airfield.
farci and trooper like this.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
Having been to the IWM in London many times I wasn't aware they had other locations until my sister and her daughter face timed me yesterday in front of a BOAC-liveried VC-10!
Is an interesting place to visit
http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Ian,

I have been to both and can recommend both to you. They are only 29 miles apart.

The IWM has various shows during the year, See:
http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/iwm-duxford/airshows
also events:
http://www.iwm.org.uk/events/iwm-duxford

The Shuttleworth Collection is:
http://www.shuttleworth.org/the-collection/

The Shuttleworth Collection is also only about 10 miles from the Cardington Hangars, famous home of the R101
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Cardington
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
so how long from Canterbury to Cambridge?

rail planner

road planner
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info !
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
If you look on this website, https://en.wingly.io/ you may even find a flight into Duxford,several people offer flights in from various small aerodromes,worth a check,I have done it twice.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

well here is the plan. I arrive into LHR early the morning of 11/23 Thursday. I'm coming in on AA100. My mom and sister and going to pick me up and head straight to Duxford from there. Since I get in a 6.20 AM I suggested they get a room near Heathrow the night before. I noticed the winter hours are 11 - 4 so it should give us plenty of time. Can't wait to check it out.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:04 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Pe

Originally Posted by enviroian
well here is the plan. I arrive into LHR early the morning of 11/23 Thursday. I'm coming in on AA100. My mom and sister and going to pick me up and head straight to Duxford from there. Since I get in a 6.20 AM I suggested they get a room near Heathrow the night before. I noticed the winter hours are 11 - 4 so it should give us plenty of time. Can't wait to check it out.
Thats certainly plenty of time, although the journey will take longer than you anticipate because the M25 from Heathrow will likely be extremely busy at that time of the morning - and rather than going right round to the M11, you might want to consider heading across to Hatfield on the A1081/A414, going North on the A1(M), and then across the A505 to Duxford. The reason I recommend this (apart from the fact its shorter) is that when you reach Duxford, youll find the gates will remain locked until very close to opening time, and because theyre directly on the main road essentially you cant queue. There are many more opportunities to pull into a lay-by or stop in a town or village close to the A505 until close to opening time then there are on a motorway, and that stretch of the M11 only has a single set of services at Stansted, about 20 miles from Duxford, which is relatively soulless.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Thats certainly plenty of time, although the journey will take longer than you anticipate because the M25 from Heathrow will likely be extremely busy at that time of the morning - and rather than going right round to the M11, you might want to consider heading across to Hatfield on the A1081/A414, going North on the A1(M), and then across the A505 to Duxford. The reason I recommend this (apart from the fact its shorter) is that when you reach Duxford, youll find the gates will remain locked until very close to opening time, and because theyre directly on the main road essentially you cant queue. There are many more opportunities to pull into a lay-by or stop in a town or village close to the A505 until close to opening time then there are on a motorway, and that stretch of the M11 only has a single set of services at Stansted, about 20 miles from Duxford, which is relatively soulless.
Good suggestion (I usually do the A405 rather than the A1081 but it depends on traffic...) There's a number of decent places to stop en route. You just need to be awake for that section of the A505 past Odsey!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:58 am

Another +1 from me for the A1/A505 rather than M11. The bypass is one of my favourite roads when it's empty. Helps to know where the speed cameras are though!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:58 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Another +1 from me for the A1/A505 rather than M11. The bypass is one of my favourite roads when it's empty. Helps to know where the speed cameras are though!
I drove from Barnet to past Norwich weekly in 2015 using A1(M)-A505-A11 and there was only one speed camera on the entire route (shortly after the A505/A11 junction), despite multiple signs en route warning of them.

Have new ones been erected/activated?

There were often police on the 50mph section just west of Thetford though.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:09 am

There are 3 or 4 (I forget how many exactly) speed cameras on the section of the A505 between Baldock and Royston, mostly around the turns to Ashwell. I think there's another one up at Flint Cross, but can't remember if it's been deactivated. They've been there are long as I've lived in the area, which is over 10 years!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I don't think Flint Cross has a speed camera these days, just a 50mph limit past the junction.

The winding section of the bypass (where the northbound carriageway uses the old roadbed, and the southbound is new and a bit straighter) has several speed cameras. However the bends in the road and in particular the hidden dips with road junctions in them make it inadvisable to exceed 70mph, in fact if not familiar with the road or in bad weather I suggest slowing down to below the speed limit there. It's only a short stretch.

The IWM at Duxford is well worth a visit. You can easily spend all day there.

Start in the "AirSpace" building, especially if pressed for time, which is the large shiny silver building with the futuristic corrugated side and roof on the eastern end of the site, nearest the motorway. Most of the "Best of British" are in there, including Concorde 001, the Vulcan, and the TSR-2. There's a restaurant that can feed you next to the entrance building nearby.

Then proceed past some of the hangars, glance at the Bloodhound missile to your left, bear right a little to go past the outdoor display of a Trident, VC-10, etc and on to the American Air Museum. It's quite full and a good selection as well. Check out the SR-71 and in particular its engines, the A-10 hanging from the roof, and the B-52 looming over all. There is a curio in there also: a piece of the Iraqi "Supergun" which is both the culmination of one man's obssession with rocket artillery and a juicy public scandal in the UK in the early 1990s. You can get a sandwich or snack at the eatery at the back of the building.

If you have more time, go on to the Land Warfare Hall, it is sobering to consider going to war in some of those steel cans or facing them the other way from a hole in the ground. It doesn't give the impression there are too many winners overall. Take a look out of the back for the V1 launching ramp and the Giant Wurzburg radar dish; finest German engineering.

Whether you got to Land Warfare or not, proceed back past the hangars and look inside for other (mainly British) aircraft and sometimes restoration in progress. Go through the gift shop for some informative books or some WW2-themed tchotchkes then depart as the staff shoo you out of the site.

Consult the Good Pub Guide for a decent pub on the way home for dinner.

Last edited by flatlander; Oct 19, 2017 at 7:15 am Reason: clarify
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Good info all thanks. I'll relay that driving info to my sister.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.