Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Daily budget for dining in London

Daily budget for dining in London

Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The only sector that is thriving are extremely upmarket specialty shops (Harrods is a very inferior version of such, only frequented by tourists). The vast majority of Londoners shop in one of the main supermarkets or its mini-chains.
What would you consider an upmarket specialty shop if not Harrods? I am sincerely asking because I am looking at picking up some gifts and was looking at Selfridges and Fortnum and Mason. Harrods is a little out of the way for a special trip and Selfridges is right next to my hotel.

I am looking for fun food items and gifts that really showcase the UK and that we just can't get in the US.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Don't know what your budget is or the giftee's tastes are, but Liberty of London has some unique textiles, accessories, and fabrics and might be worth a stop.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AtlLhr
What would you consider an upmarket specialty shop if not Harrods?
Harvey Nichols
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:26 pm

What would you consider an upmarket specialty shop if not Harrods? I am sincerely asking because I am looking at picking up some gifts and was looking at Selfridges and Fortnum and Mason. Harrods is a little out of the way for a special trip and Selfridges is right next to my hotel.

I am looking for fun food items and gifts that really showcase the UK and that we just can't get in the US.
Selfridges and Fortnum & Mason probably are your best bets for food gifts. They're overpriced, but they do the job. Note there is a small Fortnums in St Pancras, as well as at LHR,, if those are more convenient than the main shop.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Analise
.... although they have cut back the food over the last couple of years. Be daft not to pop in if going to Harrods anyway.

If your hotel is next to Selfridges then Harrods is a 20-minute walk through the park, not exactly a massive or unpleasant strain.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by CDTraveler

A Sunday roast lunch in London cost about £90/$118 for 2, before leaving a tip, and no beverages.
This made me laugh. I live in Chelsea, the most expensive part of the 3rd most expensive city in the world to buy property, and our local gastropub will do you 2 x Sunday roast for £35 in total.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by gkrnjlr
Yes, please recommend some restaurants! We're staying in the Southwark area.

Thanks!
Agree with another poster - if you are in walking distance of the Borough Market there are scads of food offerings of all sorts. Well worth a visit
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:03 am

These cookies from Fortnum and Mason are a bit pricey, but my kids absolutely love them.

https://www.fortnumandmason.com/prod...hoCGdgQAvD_BwE
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:19 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
£90 for a roast?! What was it, swan?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by stut
£90 for a roast?! What was it, swan?
Great, now I'm laughing ridiculously at work picturing Simpsons in the Strand carving up a roast swan.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:24 pm
glg

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
For a casual lunch or dinner, compare Nando's Peri-peri Chicken. Their prices:
Chicken Thighs
Four boneless thighs, flame-grilled with skin on.
On its own £7.55
+2 reg sides £10.95
Locally we go to a place that serves a comparable chicken dish with 2 sides for $9 - less than the UK price for the chicken without sides.

You might not think much of Nando's as fine food, but there's a lot of them, making it a convenient choice for visitors, and it's good about handling allergies.
In fact, there are so many Nando's that they're in the US too. Same thing in Chicago is $8.95/$13.65. It's a little cheaper, but it's a chain, it's not going to be as cheap as a local place.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:23 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's a little cheaper, but you wouldn't tip at a UK Nando's, if that makes any difference (not sure if the service style means you'd tip in the US or not...)

Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by stut
It's a little cheaper, but you wouldn't tip at a UK Nando's, if that makes any difference (not sure if the service style means you'd tip in the US or not...)

Also if $9 is the menu price, that won't include tax.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:00 pm
glg

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Also if $9 is the menu price, that won't include tax.
Good point. Add in 10% sales tax in Chicago and it's $10/$15. Does the posted London price include VAT?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Agree with another poster - if you are in walking distance of the Borough Market there are scads of food offerings of all sorts. Well worth a visit
Absolutely, though Saturday daytime is traumatic. Elliotts in the market area is excellent and significantly cheaper than some of the weird pricing being thrown around up thread. I've spent £90 on a roast for 2 at Hix but that also included a cocktail, starters, dessert and a chunk of wine too.

A London, a food desert? Hilarious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.