FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Dual passport holder entering UK on foreign passport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1851306-dual-passport-holder-entering-uk-foreign-passport.html)

Pocalypse Jul 2, 2017 4:18 pm

Dual passport holder entering UK on foreign passport

I'm a dual UK/Israeli passport holder living abroad. I have a need to be in the UK for about 2 weeks, in order to give my UK passport to the US embassy for a visa. I won't have it for 5-10 business days (have to assume 10). I would like to leave and come back to the UK during this time.

Will I be able to enter the UK on my Israeli passport? If so, should I tell them I'm a UK citizen? Only if they ask?

I would only be in the UK less than two weeks, so not worried about visa length of stay etc if entering on the Israeli passport.

I understand that, unlike the US, there's no law requiring a UK citizen to enter on their UK passport, but the whole thing seems sketchy to me.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hod100 Jul 2, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi, not sure what the law is but I've had this before and IME they really don't like it at passport control. My foreign passport though says born in the UK so they asked me straight away. Might be easier if not so obvious...

Pocalypse Jul 2, 2017 4:24 pm

I wasn't born in the UK, so might not have that issue. Did they let you in in the end?

ahmetdouas Jul 2, 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pocalypse (Post 28512404)
I wasn't born in the UK, so might not have that issue. Did they let you in in the end?

Originally Posted by Pocalypse (Post 28512381)
I'm a dual UK/Israeli passport holder living abroad. I have a need to be in the UK for about 2 weeks, in order to give my UK passport to the US embassy for a visa. I won't have it for 5-10 business days (have to assume 10). I would like to leave and come back to the UK during this time.

Will I be able to enter the UK on my Israeli passport? If so, should I tell them I'm a UK citizen? Only if they ask?

I would only be in the UK less than two weeks, so not worried about visa length of stay etc if entering on the Israeli passport.

I understand that, unlike the US, there's no law requiring a UK citizen to enter on their UK passport, but the whole thing seems sketchy to me.

Any advice is appreciated.

A risky move in my opinion, they may not like it at the border. I don't know if it is the law in the UK, pretty sure it is in the US though, as in US citizens MUST use their US passports when exiting and entering the US.

If I were you and travel so often, I would make sure I have 2 UK passports, so I can have one sitting at the embassy and the other to travel with.

In my case, because I am only a UK citizen, this would be my only option anyway!

Pocalypse Jul 2, 2017 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 28512411)
If I were you and travel so often, I would make sure I have 2 UK passports, so I can have one sitting at the embassy and the other to travel with.

I looked into this, but it seems you need a company to sponsor you and have a regular travel pattern where it makes sense to have a 2nd passport. This is very much a one time thing for me, so don't think I can do that.

ahmetdouas Jul 2, 2017 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pocalypse (Post 28512420)
I looked into this, but it seems you need a company to sponsor you and have a regular travel pattern where it makes sense to have a 2nd passport. This is very much a one time thing for me, so don't think I can do that.

If you have a valid reason to be traveling so much that you need 2 passports, you can ask them to give you another one. Travelling isn't only for company reasons. Mind you, you have to issue both passports at the same time I believe and return both passports when you decide to renew if I remember correctly.

Pocalypse Jul 2, 2017 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 28512425)
If you have a valid reason to be traveling so much that you need 2 passports, you can ask them to give you another one. Travelling isn't only for company reasons. Mind you, you have to issue both passports at the same time I believe and return both passports when you decide to renew if I remember correctly.

Everything I've read about it says it needs to be a regular occurrence, which is not the case for me.

NeverFirst Jul 2, 2017 4:55 pm

First of all, if you are a British Citizen, you cannot be prevented from entering the UK. (Sure, there might be some extra checks so they are satisfied you are who you say you are, but they cannot refuse entry).

Secondly, I don't think there is any prohibition on entering using your Israeli passport, but one route you might explore is the "Certificate of Entitlement" which can be affixed in your Israeli Passport declaring you have the right of abode in the UK.

(This route can be taken if, for example, a person becomes a naturalised British Citizen but doesn't want to apply for a UK passport).

Personally, I'd be tempted just to wing it if you're allowed entry on your Israeli passport anyway. If you're asked, just be honest - passport is at the embassy for a visa.

NeverFirst Jul 2, 2017 4:57 pm

This might be useful for you (if we're not over-egging the situation...)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...quirementleave

corporate-wage-slave Jul 2, 2017 5:06 pm

Dual citizenship is recognised by the UK government and it's quite OK to enter the UK on an Israeli passport without further explanation being given. In the unlikely event of the BF officer asking about it, then a full and honest answer is best, and having a passport in the US embassy for a visa sounds like a very good explanation to me.

It's not at all unusual. Until the e-gates came in there were many dual citizens who undusted their other passports if the non EEA queues looked shorter at primarily shorthaul airports like STN, LGW and LCY.

Cap'n Benj Jul 2, 2017 5:33 pm

My wife has a US and UK passport and she simply pics whichever line is shorter at LHR.

She has had no issues entering on the US passport

Pocalypse Jul 2, 2017 5:40 pm

Thanks all. Sounds like it shouldn't be an issue.

Tobias-UK Jul 2, 2017 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 28512523)
Dual citizenship is recognised by the UK government and it's quite OK to enter the UK on an Israeli passport without further explanation being given. In the unlikely event of the BF officer asking about it, then a full and honest answer is best, and having a passport in the US embassy for a visa sounds like a very good explanation to me.

It's not at all unusual. Until the e-gates came in there were many dual citizens who undusted their other passports if the non EEA queues looked shorter at primarily shorthaul airports like STN, LGW and LCY.

Correct. The OP might carry a photocopy of his British passport with him to help assist the IO on entry should any query arise.

SBR249 Jul 2, 2017 7:14 pm

This is not generally an issue for dual nationals. The only caution that usually applies is that you cannot expect consular protection from the second nation while in a nation for which you are also a national as most countries will treat multinationals as if they hold no other citizenship except their host nationality.

As I said, it's not usually an issue. It would be more applicable if you were say a Chinese-American dual national trying to claim American consular protection in China.

Pocalypse Jul 2, 2017 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 28512716)
Correct. The OP might carry a photocopy of his British passport with him to help assist the IO on entry should any query arise.

That's a good idea, thanks. I'll also have my old UK passport with me (expired 2015).