Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Being forced to use the ePassport gates at T5?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being forced to use the ePassport gates at T5?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Calchas
No, they are not border force, just queue minders. Generally I keep my earphones in and pretend I cannot hear them.
As i thought. I suppose I could argue the law with them but ignoring is better.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I was once halfway down the e-gate queue and a Purple Helper asked me if I had a UK passport.

Considering the other accepted EU27 passports plus Registered Traveller members, the question seemed utterly useless.

Ignore them if you can, but the impression I get from some of them (who shout a lot and try to appear authoritative) is that might not be simple.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by MPH1980
I can offer a couple of tips because my passport is also a 2016 issue. There's something up with the passport page that means it rides back on itself as you try to put it flat in the machine.

As you put it - grab both sides of it near the middle of the passport, but hold tight to the page with the photo. As you slide it in - take one hand off and push with that hand - keep holding with the other until you can't hold it any further, then finally push forward. It'll help stop the page rolling back.

You can tell I've developed a fine technique with this.

The issue seems to be that the machine readable bit at the bottom can move out of range of the scanner, or get twisted somehow so it doesn't read it. I have less of a problem with the egates than I do with the US border machines (both GE and ESTA) - but it does happen.

My kids' passport (issued a few months after) doesn't have this problem, so I think it's a certain batch/design had it.
Have posted a new thread re a non finctioning 2017 passport
Due to have it replaced this week
I wonder if its because I ordered an extrapages passport and the page just doesn't lie flat properly
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:14 pm

You can ask to use a non e-passport gate, and I know what you mean by the lines seemingly being set up to direct to the ePassport gates.

I have a UK e-passport but my wife is a US Citizen (and the UK Registered Traveller Scheme have no value for us at present). I just ask to use the line directing us to an immigration agent in the EU citizen line - and they happily let us through. There is often somebody directing people into the ePassport gate so I just walk towards them and signal towards the tensa-barrier that they're guarding. It added less than five seconds to the interaction last time.

Anecdotally: the line/queue for the EU line with an UK Border Force agent was much slower than the EU line for the ePasport gate. This is when the line for the agent was about 10 people deep, and we saw about 30-45 people go through in the same time. I looked at this because I was actively considering applying for the UK Registered Traveller Scheme for my wife at the time, and was wondering about how much time we would save relative to the cost.

Last edited by Simon Schus; Jul 20, 2017 at 9:20 pm
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Jcado
but the people in purple seem to insist you use the ePassport gates.
Just tell them you want to use the national ID card, which doesn't work with e-gates.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Just tell them you want to use the national ID card, which doesn't work with e-gates.
I'm half tempted to suggest that it might be an idea to obtain an obviously fake national ID card in order to flash at and get past such people, but I suspect being in possession of even an obviously fake national ID card when travelling might not be the best idea!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mizter T
I'm half tempted to suggest that it might be an idea to obtain an obviously fake national ID card in order to flash
No need to show anything - just tell them you have a national ID card and not a passport. I surely wouldn't want to get caught at an airport with a fake ID - even if obviously fake

Although it is a gamble - eGates process people at a constant speed, but manned immigration counters can all get blocked by a few "difficult" immigrants who take a long time to process.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Mizter T
I'm half tempted to suggest that it might be an idea to obtain an obviously fake national ID card in order to flash at and get past such people, but I suspect being in possession of even an obviously fake national ID card when travelling might not be the best idea!
You don't need to flash anything. Just say "ID card" if you are challenged and walk confidently on.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The problem with the e gates is once you get filtered into a particular queue. There if you're behind 2 or 3 people who struggle with technology, it takes a long time till the machine gives up on them and they get sent for manual processing. People like my dad who is convinced it won't work and has never read an instruction in 70 years. He would happily self select himself off for manual processing given the chance and that's where it ends up every time.

I was behind someone on Thursday who was unable to stand in the right place, looked over in any direction but where the camera was and waved her passport in the general direction of the reader.

So letting people go to a single desk which will be much slower if more opt to use it, isn't a bad idea. It gives anyone intimidated by the e gates an alternative to failing and everyone else will use the e gates as they will be quicker.

I have a new passport with the soft photo page and actually find it a bit easier than my old laminated one which I think reflected if it didn't make a good contact. The knack that works for me is to push it right in and hold it really flat and down so it makes a good contact. The gate seems to open much more quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.