Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Being forced to use the ePassport gates at T5?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being forced to use the ePassport gates at T5?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A, Marriott
Originally Posted by LSunbury
I have never managed to get through the automatic gates, probably in a dozen plus attempts. My passport was issued only in 2016 and is not damaged or worn. My wife has no problems with them and thinks it's hilarious watching me struggle and eventually get re-routed.
Do you have a beard? Hubby has a beard and the facial recognition software doesn't like it. It also prefers a neutral expression (nothing that might appear to be a smile) so try a scowl next time?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
People who refuse to use the e-passport gates remind me of the folks at Tesco who refuse to use the self-checkout because 'the line is longer' even though it's still faster pretty much 95% of the time.
Except when you are trying to buy booze and need approval- which then takes around 10 minutes to arrive in the form of a usually surly not in much of a hurry type assistant.

Back on topic, I think e-gates are great, and most people seem to be able to use them, although there are variations. I can understand why someone who routinely fails would want to simply stand in line to see an Immigration Officer. I've only had it refuse me once- so my success rate is well above 90%.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Egoldstein
Do you have a beard? Hubby has a beard and the facial recognition software doesn't like it. It also prefers a neutral expression (nothing that might appear to be a smile) so try a scowl next time?
My understanding is that there is no facial recognition software in the UK machines - it is done manually by the BF people sitting at the podium/desks past the e-gates.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MPH1980
I can offer a couple of tips because my passport is also a 2016 issue. There's something up with the passport page that means it rides back on itself as you try to put it flat in the machine.

As you put it - grab both sides of it near the middle of the passport, but hold tight to the page with the photo. As you slide it in - take one hand off and push with that hand - keep holding with the other until you can't hold it any further, then finally push forward. It'll help stop the page rolling back.

You can tell I've developed a fine technique with this.

The issue seems to be that the machine readable bit at the bottom can move out of range of the scanner, or get twisted somehow so it doesn't read it. I have less of a problem with the egates than I do with the US border machines (both GE and ESTA) - but it does happen.

My kids' passport (issued a few months after) doesn't have this problem, so I think it's a certain batch/design had it.
Exactly this - it took a bit of doing but I now have smooth place press down to a fine art !

Now all I have to do is get better at spotting the useless users so that I can avoid getting stuck behind one
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by jms_uk
My understanding is that there is no facial recognition software in the UK machines - it is done manually by the BF people sitting at the podium/desks past the e-gates.
Agreed, from what I've seen. Someone sits there comparing 'reality' with the Passport photograph. Usually almost instant, unless the operative is distracted by a colleague.

We are 2 happy users of the e-passport gates at LHR and LGW [and in the USA .... 2011 versions, with the nice stiff data page.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Thanks for that! I have the 2016 passport as well, so must be the new soft page. I will try this next time.
Same problem for me (2016) - after many queries I was eventually told by an agent in T4 that it was the "new" brown line at the bottom of the data page which the LHR machines had not been "updated" to read/ignore.

So...recently on a few trips through T5 I have ducked under the tensa barriers and gone straight to the front of the queue. Last week the agent asked why and I told her. I got a "what a load of ..ocks type of look" so who knows.

It all seems too much of a coincidence!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know why they switched to soft pages? I've almost torn mine twice stuffing it into some reader or other.

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
People who refuse to use the e-passport gates remind me of the folks at Tesco who refuse to use the self-checkout because 'the line is longer' even though it's still faster pretty much 95% of the time.
If 95% of your purchases require "Approval" and approval happens after the manual line is dealt with ...
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:22 am

I can offer a couple of tips because my passport is also a 2016 issue. There's something up with the passport page that means it rides back on itself as you try to put it flat in the machine.

The issue seems to be that the machine readable bit at the bottom can move out of range of the scanner, or get twisted somehow so it doesn't read it. I have less of a problem with the egates than I do with the US border machines (both GE and ESTA) - but it does happen.
I have the same issue with my 2016 issued passport - way too easy for the photo page to do as you describe.

Like you I struggle most with the US machines - first time I used the new passport was at a GE kiosk where I had a 'fail' and had to join the queue for the regular e-Passport machines. Thinking it was the new passport, and having some time to spare between connections I visited the GE enrolment office. They informed me that if the machine only gets a partial read, then it locks you out - you only get one shot.
Since then I've been v careful to ensure the page is lined up and not folded back as it readily wants to....
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm obviously pleased I have a stiff one that will be valid until 2021 ... perhaps they will revert by then? It seems silly designing a floppy one when stiffness works so well.

Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by T8191
I'm obviously pleased I have a stiff one that will be valid until 2021 ... perhaps they will revert by then?
Next design is currently scheduled for 2022. They change the format every 5 years. Unless other stuff happens. I don't actually know why they went all limp on this, but my suspicion is that it saves money and improved processing speed. And indeed passports in the normal, no fast track, route can be turned around in a few days now.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only

You can tell I've developed a fine technique with this.

Thanks, I will attempt your unique '2016 batch technique' next time!

I'm glad it's not just me.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:50 am

If you have a UK passport and a somewhat common surname (Smith, Jones, Brown etc) these too appear not to work in the UK Border E-Gates. I am "lucky" enough to have a common surname and have been told by a very apologetic border supervisor when I questioned why I always have to seek assistance that this is the reason why I have difficulties. Surprisingly in other countries it isn't a problem to process. Including Australia, UAE and the USA.
Bring back IRIS and all is forgiven. That always worked for me without issue.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Any opportunity to avoid personal interaction with anyone at an airport not entirely focused on customer service is to be surely welcomed?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Bring back IRIS and all is forgiven. That always worked for me without issue.
IRIS never worked for my OH ... she has small eyes, which clearly defeated the system unless she tried to impersonate an owl.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:04 pm

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 7:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.