Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Connecting in STN from Ryan Air to Ryan Air with hand luggage only. Is 1hr 10 minutes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in STN from Ryan Air to Ryan Air with hand luggage only. Is 1hr 10 minutes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

I purchased tickets for flights on Ryan Air without thinking about the transfer time. There are 4 of us traveling, so it could be an expensive if we miss the second flight.

1st. Flight DNR-STN 18:50-19:00
2nd. Flight STN-DUB 20:10-21:30

Is this enough time to transfer at STN with hand luggage only?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I really wouldn't do this, that's just not enough time. You might want to cut your losses and book an earlier flight to STN, or later one to DUB is there is one. Someone else here might have more experience of STN airport.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:32 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
FR's on-time record is good, but even so this is difficult, particularly if either of your flights uses the remote terminal that requires a train transfer (and there's a good chance that'll happen).

You at least avoid the immigration queue because STN has a transfer facility, but I don't think you can pay for priority security on transfer, only on normal departure (although the transfer area may be quieter - I've no personal experience, but I'd think for over 90% of passengers STN will be a point-to-point airport). Buy seats near the front of the plane, and hope - because FR are not going to cut you any slack if you miss the second flight.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:32 am

Will they skip the immigration queue? The UK operates a common travel area policy with Ireland, so surely the option to skip immigration wouldn't apply?
Also remember that Ryanair frequently gate check some bags (even though you may not want to) unless you've paid for the speedy boarding. I think chance this itinerary will work isn't overwhelming, and if bags do end up in the hold then you're scuppered.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:37 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Just to be clear: you are not connecting. Ryanair offers a point-to-point service only, and so you are taking a flight, landing and taking another flight.

You will need to go through immigration in Stansted, as STN-DUB is treated like a domestic flight due to the CTA. If you have a non EU/EEA passport, this could take some significant time. I wouldn't do it, personally.

As you're already booked, it's worth a go, although I'd look at finding some cheap backup flights as an insurance policy (rather than waiting until the day itself, where it will be expensive).
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:45 am
Original Poster

2 separate tickets
US passport
I purchased seats and priority boarding.

I am going to buy 4 tickets on the next flight as a back up, but we will still try to make the original flight.

I am afraid that I may have made a bigger mistake. I booked my husband on a 6am flight from LHR-ZRH on LX at 6am on a Sunday morning. His next flight is on a separate AA ticket in business at 10:15. I don’t know what I was thinking.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:04 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by stut
You will need to go through immigration in Stansted, as STN-DUB is treated like a domestic flight due to the CTA. If you have a non EU/EEA passport, this could take some significant time. I wouldn't do it, personally.

As you're already booked, it's worth a go, although I'd look at finding some cheap backup flights as an insurance policy (rather than waiting until the day itself, where it will be expensive).

Sorry, I'd missed that the onward flight was to DUB, so immigration will be required. I've never done this, so would the OP need to go through main immigration and security (for which certainly a fast track would be available for £7 per service), or is there a quieter/quicker immigration and security route via the transfer path?

Originally Posted by sbgmiles
I am afraid that I may have made a bigger mistake. I booked my husband on a 6am flight from LHR-ZRH on LX at 6am on a Sunday morning. His next flight is on a separate AA ticket in business at 10:15. I don’t know what I was thinking.
You certainly like living on the edge! Actually this is probably less of a risk than yours in terms of making the second flight, again assuming carry-on only and pre-printed BP for the AA flight - although obviously if it goes wrong the recovery costs are significantly more. At that time of the morning most LHR flights get away on schedule, so he'd likely be in ZRH (which is an excellent airport for transfers) by about 8.45am. 90 minutes is plenty for that airport.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:32 am
Original Poster

I can’t tell you how many times my kids and I have run through airports and train stations. I wish that I would learn my lesson. I am buying tickets for the later STN-DUB flight.

I usually fly Oneworld direct from Los Angeles to Europe or connect in LHR, so I didn’t think about having to go through passport control in another country. Will my husband have to go through passport control in Zurich? He does not like to live on the edge. Is 1 hour 30 minutes enough time on a Sunday morning?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:12 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Will my husband have to go through passport control in Zurich? He does not like to live on the edge. Is 1 hour 30 minutes enough time on a Sunday morning?
Depends. If it's hand baggage only, then no. If he's got checked baggage, then it depends on LX in Heathrow. They may check the bags through as a courtesy, but you shouldn't rely on that. If they don't, then he'll have to clear inbound immigration, collect bags, go landside and then clear security and exit immigration.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Hand luggage only, so he should be ok?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:33 pm
Community Director

Hand luggage only, so he should be ok?
Yes, if things are on time - he'll be going from non-Schengen to non-Schengen, so no need to go through the border.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by stut
Ryanair offers a point-to-point service only . . . . .
It doesn't affect the OP, but haven't they started trialling connections now? It was supposed to have started in Rome, Fiumicino a couple of months ago, but I haven't heard anything recently.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:41 pm

There is indeed a Ryanair trial of connections - but not at STN - and even in the official trial their minimum connection time is 3 hours
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
2 separate tickets
US passport
I purchased seats and priority boarding.

I am going to buy 4 tickets on the next flight as a back up, but we will still try to make the original flight.

With a non-EU passport, won't the OP also need to visit the Ryanair "visa check" desk before flying to DUB? Or is that not required here due to DUB being in the CTA?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
With a non-EU passport, won't the OP also need to visit the Ryanair "visa check" desk before flying to DUB? Or is that not required here due to DUB being in the CTA?
OP will need to go there... as they made my better half go there on a BHX-DUB flight on a Canadian passport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.