Customs and immigration [flying DUB-LHR T5]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.

Do I have to clear customs and immigration as an Australian flying from DUB transiting in LHR but I want to go into London as I have ten hours transit time and while the CCR will be nice, I don't want to be there for that long.

Cheers
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
When flying from DUB-LHR you do not need to clear immigration and you do need to clear customs (which is normally walk-through).

Once you have gone through to the CCR it is annoyingly difficult to get back landside and does require going through immigration and customs.

Therefore, plan to go and do whatever it is in central London between landing from DUB and going to the CCR
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Do I have to clear customs and immigration as an Australian flying from DUB transiting in LHR but I want to go into London as I have ten hours transit time and while the CCR will be nice, I don't want to be there for that long.

Cheers
Customs is a non event in most of Europe these days, it will be surprising if anyone is on duty but very technically yes you clear that. But passports, no, you are still in the Common Travel Area. In fact the route from door 24 (or thereabouts) to landside takes you behind the passport desk and straight down to arrivals, so you will be landside very quickly after leaving the aircraft. It's almost, but not quite, a domestic arrival.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Thank you.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There can be a problem for third country nationals entering the UK from elsewhere in the common travel area as there are no immigration controls and those individuals would normally be subject to immigration controls and need entry clearance.

However, if someone is from a country the nationals of which do not require a visa to enter the UK, such a person can enter via Ireland and the common travel area notwithstanding the absence of immigration controls at the UK border. There might be a difference as to the duration of stay allowed in the UK (3 months max instead of six months) but this will not be of relevance to the OP, who will be staying less than a full day.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: Travel
They don't allow you to pass through to cusotmes without the pre arrange visit visa if you want to visit London
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by samtrait
They don't allow you to pass through to cusotmes without the pre arrange visit visa if you want to visit London
That's not correct.

It depends what country you are from and how long your intended stay is whether you need a visa or not to enter the UK.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
This is wrong, firstly customs is not the NA view of customs and they do not check passports (if ever there). Secondly you arrive missing the UK border and the immigration officers
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aidy
This is wrong, firstly customs is not the NA view of customs and they do not check passports (if ever there). Secondly you arrive missing the UK border and the immigration officers
Indeed. The one situation that would be problematic would be if you require a visa to enter the UK and do not have one, as entering the UK from the common travel area would put you in breach of UK immigration laws. OTOH, if you already have a visa or you are a national from a country whose nationals can enter the UK without a visa, you would be OK to enter the UK from elsewhere in the CTA (with the only caveat that the length of allowed stay would be lower in the latter case).
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by NickB
There can be a problem for third country nationals entering the UK from elsewhere in the common travel area as there are no immigration controls and those individuals would normally be subject to immigration controls and need entry clearance.

However, if someone is from a country the nationals of which do not require a visa to enter the UK, such a person can enter via Ireland and the common travel area notwithstanding the absence of immigration controls at the UK border. There might be a difference as to the duration of stay allowed in the UK (3 months max instead of six months) but this will not be of relevance to the OP, who will be staying less than a full day.
Yes, indeed. A non-visa national who is also a non-EU national and not the subject of a deportation order entering the UK from elsewhere in the CTA is deemed to have been given three months' leave to enter unless told otherwise.

A visa national so entering the UK should properly report to a UKBF officer to obtain leave to enter. In the context of airports, such officers can be found in the red channel of customs or summoned by operating the red point telephone. Failing to so report is a criminal offence. It is not immediately obvious what a visa national seeking to enter via the land border with the Republic of Ireland ought to do.

This is generally wrong.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
A visa national so entering the UK should properly report to a UKBF officer to obtain leave to enter.
I was under the impression that visa nationals already in possession of a visa (which is the normal situation) were exempted from the need to obtain leave to enter when coming from Ireland (as per the The Immigration (Control of Entry Through Republic of Ireland) Order 1972) and para 15 of the immigration rules).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.