Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Glasgow with kids (3 and 7 yrs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold

We will spend 4 nights in Glasgow this upcoming August – everyone is already looking forward to a fun time! My kids will be almost 3 (boy) and 7 (girl) at time of traveling. Most probably we’ll stay at the Hilton Doubletree but still flexible on that as long as the hotel has a pool. Another option where we could also use HHonors perks (lounge for nibbles) would be the Hilton Glasgow (has a pool too). Which one would you decide and why?

With not a lot of travel experience up north, I’m asking for your advice on activities. So far we have planned the following:
- Pony riding at Roundknowefarm
- Strolling thru the old town, lite a candle inside the cathedral
- Boat ride on the River Clyde
- Check out a few museums including the mouse pass booklet ;-)
- A day at the beach – thinking of Troon (would be nice if we could collect some shells)
- Want to buy my son a kilt set – any recommendations on places which are not overly expensive
- Seafood dinner with the kids – which place would you choose?

I’m not planning to rent a car (usually drive on the other side), however would be ok to get one for a day if needed. I assume most places can be reached easy with public transportation or an Uber ride.

Your advice and inspirations on any kind of activities in or around Glasgow are very much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!!
Old May 29, 2017, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The Science Centre is an obvious attraction to add although I can't remember if it would be suitable for children so young. You could combine a beach visit with a boat trip as there are several options easily doable without a car. Largs/Millport Gourock/Dunoon, Wemyss Bay/Rothesay Ardrossan/Brodick.

The Doubletree is better positioned so I'd go for that one.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's an outstanding seafood restaurant downtown, but I don't think it would be suitable for children.

I assume the Science Centre is the newish museum along the river.

There's an older neighborhood with lots of restaurants that's near the university. It's interesting for strolling.

Four days is probably about right for what you've planned for Glasgow, but Edinburgh is only a short train ride away if you feel that you have some time to fill. Just watch out for the dates for the Festival and also the Fringe Festival. They seem to grow bigger every year.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by euromountain
We will spend 4 nights in Glasgow this upcoming August – everyone is already looking forward to a fun time! My kids will be almost 3 (boy) and 7 (girl) at time of traveling. Most probably we’ll stay at the Hilton Doubletree but still flexible on that as long as the hotel has a pool. Another option where we could also use HHonors perks (lounge for nibbles) would be the Hilton Glasgow (has a pool too). Which one would you decide and why?

With not a lot of travel experience up north, I’m asking for your advice on activities. So far we have planned the following:
- Pony riding at Roundknowefarm
- Strolling thru the old town, lite a candle inside the cathedral
- Boat ride on the River Clyde
- Check out a few museums including the mouse pass booklet ;-)
- A day at the beach – thinking of Troon (would be nice if we could collect some shells)
- Want to buy my son a kilt set – any recommendations on places which are not overly expensive
- Seafood dinner with the kids – which place would you choose?

I’m not planning to rent a car (usually drive on the other side), however would be ok to get one for a day if needed. I assume most places can be reached easy with public transportation or an Uber ride.

Your advice and inspirations on any kind of activities in or around Glasgow are very much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!!
I presume you have checked out this website for suggestions.

Amongst my favourites and all accessible by the Glasgow Sightseeing Bus:
- Kelvingrove Museum. Always great exhibits (free)
- The People's Palace (free)
- Riverside Transport Museum - trains & cars and historical (free)
- Scotland St School Museum - how school used to be! (free)
- Waverley Paddle Steamer. A short trip may be enough but the kids (and the older kids) will love to
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Gold
Thanks for all the very helpful contribution!
This will help a lot to pick the right ones and make this a fun time!
Cheers.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
On the Waverley - if you can get a cruise to either Greenock or Helensburgh it's a couple of hours of sailing then a train back along the river - both are decent options and I did the same when I was that age. Helensburgh's perhaps a bit nicer than Greenock.

Other than that, the suggestions above are all pretty good. Kelvingrove's fantastic. As for a kilt - you could probably get a cheap one for under £100, though this won't be 'proper' and will be lightweight. But for a growing kid that's probably all you need. Not sure where you'd get such a thing though - maybe try Slanj in the City Centre?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by DocWatson
...As for a kilt - you could probably get a cheap one for under £100, though tshis won't be 'proper' and will be lightweight. But for a growing kid that's probably all you need. Not sure where you'd get such a thing though - maybe try Slanj in the City Centre?
In Union St near the Central station there's a shop which sells anything touristy Scottish including kilts although it's unlikely to have been handwoven by an old lady in the Highlands! For more quality at higher prices Google kilt makers of which there are a couple in Buchanan St pedestrian area
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
The Transport Museum is a must with kids - very kid friendly exhibits for them to play on/interact with.

My (then) 5 year old daughter loved it and wanted to go back!
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by farci
In Union St near the Central station there's a shop which sells anything touristy Scottish including kilts although it's unlikely to have been handwoven by an old lady in the Highlands! For more quality at higher prices Google kilt makers of which there are a couple in Buchanan St pedestrian area
Edinburgh Woollen Mill do off the peg kilts which for a kid is the wisest and cheapest way to go. A made to order one would be a poor investment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.