Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Family trip to London, 2 rooms, redemption, which hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Am looking at booking a family trip to London some time in June for 3-4 days.

Us: 2 adults, 2 kids, 1 baby; so we'll need two rooms, it would be a lot better if they were interconnecting, this appears tough to find.

Our to-do wishlist (apparently) includes South Kensington (for the museums), the British Museum, Buckingham Palace, plus a handful of other standard touristy things.

I'd really hoped to burn some points on this trip, we've been accruing across too many programmes for too long, and watching one deval after another has been somewhat depressing.

Points-wise we have a boatload of IHG (600k+) plus two IHG free-night certificates and I'm Spire Ambassador if that helps (although my experience is that it doesn't!) Also have some Hilton (nearly 250k) and a handful of SPG (20k) and Hyatt (32k). SPG Gold, Hilton Silver (could no doubt try to match/challenge to Diamond), Hyatt Glob with DSUs and 1 free night to cat 7 to burn. 150k Amex MRs too.

Previous experiences: We all stayed last year at Hyatt the Churchill and although they treated us really well, the Rolls Royce crowd wasn't really our thing. I've stayed with the two older kids at Hilton Metropole (Edgware Road) and we really liked it, close to tube+bus routes, with loads of options for food in walking distance.

Not really fussed about the property being high-end, but would prefer to get value for money for points if redeeming. Don't mind redeeming for 1 room and paying cash for the other if that's a better option.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance ^
Old May 18, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I may have mised it but what hotels are youa actually inerested in in using your points?

There may be a trade off between a redemption hotel and where you have to stay but in central london with the excellent bus and tuve network that not rrally an issue.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I may have missed it but what hotels are you actually interested in in using your points?
Not sure I entirely understand the question!

IHG (for instance) has a load of properties in central LON, so I was hoping an FTer who'd already done this kind of thing might be able to offer a recommendation.

"Took my family to LON, we stayed at Holiday Inn XXX, got two connecting rooms, they treated us like royalty, it was ace!" ... that kind of thing
Old May 19, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Most hotels in London/UK have family rooms they don't put on the website (or I can never find them).

I know Hilton used to do a half-price room for kids promotion. There's a DoubleTree located in Kennsington that may be what yiou want. I would try calling the hotel directly for the best rates and room options.

Central London is very easy to get a round. Buses are plentiful. Get a local sim card (make sure your phone is unlocked) and download one of the bus or even just Google Maps. Easy to get bus and tube directions plus will make a huge difference for walking.
Old May 20, 2017, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
I know Hilton used to do a half-price room for kids promotion.
Good suggestion (we used this back in 2014 to get two rooms at Hilton LHR T4) but AFAIK it only applies when both rooms are booked with cash, not points.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
IHG and Hilton have London hotels for standard rewards with 2 double beds. I have booked numerous hotels for my brother over the years. Only a handful do it, I admit, but search for 2+2 and they show.

Interconnecting - must hotels have them but they won't guarantee them. It is stupid and a problem we've had many times. You just split 1 adult and 1 kid per room if necessary.

Club Carlson has family room redemptions and there are some excellent Park Plaza options in London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.