Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car hire in UK

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
YMMV vary but rentalcars.com has always said that I need one, but I never bothered and it was not an issue when I showed my D/L and passport. All they wanted to do was upsell me a car, insurance, breakdown, tried to sell me a bridge, and so on. I think you will be absolutely fine but you are doing the right thing and obeying instructions.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You will not need any of that crap. Your DL will be sufficient.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by antichef
The rental company could actually let you have the car without seeing any documentation. It would not be wise, but it could be done.
I would imagine that there would be legal consequences for the rental company or any other person if they hand over car keys to someone without licence. Whenever I rented a car or tried out a car, the owner would want to inspect the DL.

Originally Posted by glazfolk
It just seems a bit strange that passport, DL and valid credit card aren't enough. It has been everywhere else we've been!
Just check the rental conditions of the rental company (directly on the website rather than reading a possibly altered/old version on rentalcars). If that's not conclusive check the website of the local equivalent to the DMV. There's usually a segment on visiting foreigners driving.

An IDP is highly recommended (if not required) if you drive in a country where English is not an official language.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:19 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Thanks. To be safe, we'll take with us enough documentation and ID to get into the Bank of England if we wanted to.
You don't need any documentation or ID to get into (the public areas of) the Bank of England. While you may need ID to conduct transactions of over £500 at the BoE, AFAIK, De Nederlandsche Bank is the only central bank in the world which requires ID just to enter (the public area).

The address proof/bank statements may be required when UK residents rent cars in the UK, but I have never heard of a tourist being asked for anything other than their driving licence and occasionally a credit card (if not prepaid and the hire firm didn't manage to authorise a CC provided at the time of booking)
Old May 23, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You will not need any of that crap. Your DL will be sufficient.
Correct.I hired a vehicle from Hertz(Uxbridge)(2016)I think from memory I showed my Current licence(Aus) & I think passport(UK) no probs whatsoever.Will be coming back in October have a vehicle reserved @ Hertz Heathrow.Cheers
Old May 23, 2017, 2:43 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
OTOH, I have been asked for additional proof of address by smaller hire companies (including Thrifty, Sixt, Practical and other local ones) as a UK resident. I've also been asked for proof of address for hiring goods vehicles at the majors. I've never been asked when hiring a car from one of the majors.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum, VA Velocity
Well seeing as we'll be using Thrifty and Easirent I'd say it's a case of better safe than sorry ...
Old May 23, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well seeing as we'll be using Thrifty and Easirent I'd say it's a case of better safe than sorry ...
Agreed. You have done the correct thing if you are asked to show them. Have a good trip.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:08 am

Easirent? Shudder.
Go across to that site that advises on trips and search the reviews. Lots of horror stories about this company. I would not touch them with a barge pole.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Easirent? Shudder.
Go across to that site that advises on trips and search the reviews. Lots of horror stories about this company. I would not touch them with a barge pole.
Oh sh*t! Already booked and paid for, thru Rentalcars.com

At least we should be protected from this "fake damage" scam ... we booked thru RentalCars.com and included their full protection option. This means that if EasiRent charge us for any alleged damage, RentalCars will refund us that amount.

But thanks for the warning for the future ...
Old May 25, 2017, 2:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
At least we should be protected from this "fake damage" scam ... we booked thru RentalCars.com and included their full protection option. This means that if EasiRent charge us for any alleged damage, RentalCars will refund us that amount.
That's the theory, yes...
Old May 25, 2017, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm curious, is that based on an experience with them?
Old May 25, 2017, 3:56 am
Original Poster

From the contract:

Full Protection is included with this booking.

This means that:

If purchased prior to pick-up of the car, Rentalcars.com's Full Protection product will refund the customer:

charges for damage to the rental car's exterior or mechanical components, including: bodywork, roof, undercarriage, windscreen, windows, mirrors, locks, wheels, tyres, hubcaps, engine, clutch, battery.
'immobilisation' charges (for loss of earnings while the car is being repaired and cannot be rented out)
essential taxi or towing charges resulting from a breakdown or accident
charges directly related to locking themselves out of the rental car or losing its key(s)
any amount the car hire company charges as a result of claiming on the car's Theft Protection policy
car hire company administration fees related to any of these points.
We'll also very obviously and demonstrably take multiple photos of the car from every possible angle when we pick it up ...
Old May 27, 2017, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the contract:

We'll also very obviously and demonstrably take multiple photos of the car from every possible angle when we pick it up ...
I am renting through rentalcars for Spain and was looking at their full protection - which I was just about to pull the trigger on and it would have been £45 for me - but was chatting to a mate about it and he mentioned that he had a worldwide annual worldwide excess policy (including CDW for the Americas), which on investigation was cheaper for us than the one offered by rentalcars (albeit by £2!). If you are going to be travelling a lot then it might be something to consider. But, of course the proof of whether they work is only when you have to use one which I pray I never have to.

The other point is that now you have this cover be careful when you turn up and the car hire vendor tries to upsell you their cover too. I had this happen to me and they put a ton of pressure on people to sign by using scare tactics. You need to hold your ground.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I am renting through rentalcars for Spain and was looking at their full protection - which I was just about to pull the trigger on and it would have been £45 for me - but was chatting to a mate about it and he mentioned that he had a worldwide annual worldwide excess policy (including CDW for the Americas), which on investigation was cheaper for us than the one offered by rentalcars (albeit by £2!). If you are going to be travelling a lot then it might be something to consider. But, of course the proof of whether they work is only when you have to use one which I pray I never have to.

The other point is that now you have this cover be careful when you turn up and the car hire vendor tries to upsell you their cover too. I had this happen to me and they put a ton of pressure on people to sign by using scare tactics. You need to hold your ground.
Thanks for the tip. Sadly, neither my local motor insurance nor my travel insurance offer me anything here.

But I'll certainly be wary of the upsell scam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.