Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One sim card two countries?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

One sim card two countries?

I am traveling to England, Ireland and Scotland soon and I am confused about the sim cards.
I have an unlocked iphone 7 and know that I can go to a store and buy a sim card for the UK. I don't know if that card will also work in Ireland or if I need to buy another one when I get to Dublin.
I primarily need it for data, to use maps, we will use wifi for any texts and whatsapp for calls back to the states.
I would guess that the only calls would be to hotels if we are running late or something along those lines.
Will one card work for both countries? How much data do you think I will need for 2 weeks total? Is it as easy as popping the sim in and off we go?
Thanks for the help
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:46 pm

Is it as easy as popping in the SIM? Yes. That's it.
You don't need data for maps. There are loads of map applications that enable you to download maps (over wifi) before departure then you can use the app (without the need to have a signal or use any data).
You haven't said where you'll be travelling to along the way. In very rural areas, you may only get a 2G signal which is hopeless for data (or no signal at all), another reason to use off line maps.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:23 pm

If you must have a sim card (eg you don't want to depend on wifi) then I'd recommend Three pay as you go. Ireland is one of Three's Feel at Home roaming countries which means you can use your pay as you go allowance free while traveling in Ireland. That would allow you to use one sim card for both countries. I've used them before, I find their coverage to be adequate though not spectacular and their prices to be reasonable. Their sims are also widely available at most high street supermarkets and many shops.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I have a UK Three SIM and I have used it in Ireland. Coverage seemed to be quite adequate. They also operate in Ireland which might help. OP can buy a SIM and a top up at the airport and be in business immediately. You get 500 MB free with a top up but may wish to buy an add-on to get an allowance.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by SBR249
Ireland is one of Three's Feel at Home roaming countries which means you can use your pay as you go allowance free while traveling in Ireland. That would allow you to use one sim card for both countries.
The OP doesn't say when he/she is travelling, but as of 15th June this year there will be no roaming charges across the EU, so any company with a good deal and coverage will do.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! We are going to London and Edinburgh and then going to Dublin, Belfast, Donegal, Sligo and then back to Dublin. We are traveling in September so no roaming sounds great to me. I have downloaded a few offline maps, but I like the security of data just in case. Looks like Three is the way to go, I was thinking of picking up a sim card near our hotel.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AtlLhr
Thanks for the replies! We are going to London and Edinburgh and then going to Dublin, Belfast, Donegal, Sligo and then back to Dublin. We are traveling in September so no roaming sounds great to me. I have downloaded a few offline maps, but I like the security of data just in case. Looks like Three is the way to go, I was thinking of picking up a sim card near our hotel.
You will find a lot of sources, I have used WH Smith at LHR. You need to buy a SIM and a top-up (which is just a code on the register receipt). You may find SIMs bundled with a top-up but they are usually poorer value. Look at the Three web site and decide if you need an add-on. You will need enough credit to pay for the add-on and have a bit over. Note that most overseas calls are much cheaper if you use a special code (listed on the web site) in front of the number, e.g. US is 3p/minute.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
There's a lot more information in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...and-wales.html
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by SBR249
If you must have a sim card (eg you don't want to depend on wifi) then I'd recommend Three pay as you go. Ireland is one of Three's Feel at Home roaming countries which means you can use your pay as you go allowance free while traveling in Ireland.
Isn't going to matter anyway. By the time OP travels, EU roaming costs will be slashed and from what I'm hearing you'll be able to use your plan abroad anyway.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Isn't going to matter anyway. By the time OP travels, EU roaming costs will be slashed and from what I'm hearing you'll be able to use your plan abroad anyway.
Yes, I realise that (and as someone else already pointed out above), however as the OP didn't specify a time period for traveling except for "soon", I'm giving information as it would apply today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.