Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Month in Oxford July 2017

Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG-Gold

Going to Oxford to study for July and looking for ideas/suggestions for some free time.
Stonehenge and Bath tour already planned but a few free weekend days are still open.
Has to be accessible by coach or train.

Oh and this is my first trip to the UK

Last edited by InsUW2; Apr 24, 2017 at 2:08 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Get a Cotswolds Line Railcard, and go explore the pubs / villages / walks of the Cotswolds!

Within Oxford itself, you should go punting, go for walks around the city (eg Port Meadow, Shotover Hill), visit all the museums, and probably also try the unusual pub game that is Aunt Sally.

Otherwise, depending on what you're into, you can get to London quickly + easily, you can get down to the south coast for the beach at Bournemouth, sailing on the Solent, hiking in Wales etc
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
If you plan much rail travel and are younger than 26 or older than 59 then consider getting a Railcard which will get you a 30% discount on most fares for a GBP30 fee. If you register it on an Oyster card then you can also get some discounts on London transport.

If you like museums then plan to spend some time in the Ashmolean, a month should be about enough!

You can do a lot of walking in Oxford and the surrounding areas so be sure to have a good pair of shoes and/or boots.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Network Railcard will cover you alone, or you + up to 3 others, after 10am weekdays and all day weekends in much of the area you might want to go by train from Oxford: http://www.network-railcard.co.uk/

The Cotswolds Line Railcard is our secret local railcard for local people...

If you have little people with you, a Family Railcard could work well too. See https://www.railcard.co.uk/ for a few other common options, especially if you're young-ish / older-ish

Oh, and we haven't done a BAEC FT meetup in Oxford for a while, so we could probably all arrange to meet you in a pub (or 5...) while you're over!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Traveling Solo and in between the 26-59 age bracket

We have a few tours included Westminster Abbey, the Houses of Parliament and Windsor Castle. But I do want to go to the British Museum of Natural History.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by InsUW2
But I do want to go to the British Museum of Natural History.
FYI - The British Museum and the Natural History Museum are different things, in different parts of London!

Depending on which aspects of those you're interested in, the Ashmolean or the University Museum could cover most of what you're after without having to travel out of Oxford
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
But the British Museum is worth seeing for the building alone!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Assuming 'for July' means a month in Oxford, and allowing at least some time for study, my twopence would be :

1) Part of the joy of studying in Oxford is just being there - there is more than enough to do and enjoy in a month of summer days without ever leaving the city at all. Going away for every spare moment kinda defeats the object. Bath, Stonehenge, Windsor and London is enough, with the possible addition of Blenheim Palace.
2) The Ashmoleum and Natural History/Pitt Rivers museums are well worth visiting, both for the exhibits and the buildings themselves.
3) If you want to see the Cotswolds, the rail line doesn't go through or to the best bits so it's better to do these in one day on a bus tour. I wouldn't bother with a Cotswold railcard at all.
4) Same for any other railcard - it's not worth it. Even with the railcard discount, the Oxford Tube and X90 coach services are cheaper when visiting London, and by booking ahead you can reduce the cost even further on the Oxford Tube with the Ł1/Ł5 Megabus Apex fares.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Assuming 'for July' means a month in Oxford, and allowing at least some time for study, my twopence would be :

1) Part of the joy of studying in Oxford is just being there - there is more than enough to do and enjoy in a month of summer days without ever leaving the city at all. Going away for every spare moment kinda defeats the object. Bath, Stonehenge, Windsor and London is enough, with the possible addition of Blenheim Palace.
2) The Ashmoleum and Natural History/Pitt Rivers museums are well worth visiting, both for the exhibits and the buildings themselves.
3) If you want to see the Cotswolds, the rail line doesn't go through or to the best bits so it's better to do these in one day on a bus tour. I wouldn't bother with a Cotswold railcard at all.
4) Same for any other railcard - it's not worth it. Even with the railcard discount, the Oxford Tube and X90 coach services are cheaper when visiting London, and by booking ahead you can reduce the cost even further on the Oxford Tube with the Ł1/Ł5 Megabus Apex fares.
Thank you very much for the advice and after thinking about it, you are likely correct. Trying to cram everything into my month there is quite silly and leaves no time to "stop and smell the roses" as they say.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:38 pm

While I agree that buses will always be the cheapest way to travel short distances like Oxford-London, I just intensely dislike bus journeys in the UK for some reason. So even if it's mega cheap, I'd take a train purely because of the comfort factor, especially after one too many hellish X5 trips. But to each his own.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:17 am

Don't forget to go punting ... and visit Blenheim Palace and Woodstock. You might want to invest in a bicycle.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by SBR249
While I agree that buses will always be the cheapest way to travel short distances like Oxford-London, I just intensely dislike bus journeys in the UK for some reason. So even if it's mega cheap, I'd take a train purely because of the comfort factor, especially after one too many hellish X5 trips. But to each his own.
FWIW, the 'buses' on the Oxford service are luxury coaches, with aircon, Free 4G Wi-Fi, USB Power Sockets and good legroom, and are at least as comfortable as the train.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:32 am

Oh I've ridden the Oxford Tube and such services. The difference is marginal. Like I said, I know it's cheap, but I've had my fill of buses.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Actually, our Host has instructed us to take the Coach from LHR or LGW to Oxford.

Already prepaid for the ticket and return from the Oxford Bus Co
Old May 5, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by InsUW2
Actually, our Host has instructed us to take the Coach from LHR or LGW to Oxford.

Already prepaid for the ticket and return from the Oxford Bus Co
Despite SBR249's aversion the Oxford "Airline" is a perfectly good way to make the trip. The coaches are frequent and comfortable, and have a hold for the luggage. There are quite a few stops in Oxford but you have presumably agreed which one to use with your host. The stops will be announced.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.