Search

Scottish Canals - October / November 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Scottish Canals - October / November 2017

Hi, all.

I'm going to Scotland in early October and returning in the second half of November.

After a recent visit to the Falkirk Wheel, I've decided I'd like to do a trip on the canals. How long does it take to do a canal trip? I'm not quite sure how it works. Do you pick up the boat at "A" and sail to "B" or do pick up and drop off at the same spot after sailing along a bit and then turn around? How long would I need to allow. I see that you can hire for a few days or for a week. A week seems to cost between Ł800 and Ł1200. I know there's upkeep on the boats and they're there to make money, etc, but this seems a lot of money for a week. But I wouldn't like to just go for a 3 day trip and wish I'd booked for longer.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:13 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There's a lot of combinations and permutations - some companies offer circular trips, some one-way, some round trip. That price seems about right - it's an expensive business.

(I did a 3 day trip on the Welsh borders a couple of years ago. It felt like a taster, and we failed to make the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, which we'd hoped for!)

http://www.abcboathire.com/ is one of the good multi-search engines, and http://www.latelink.com/ for cheaper, last-minute deals.

You do realise what the weather is going to be like at that time of year?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by stut
'Lolz'
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:38 am

Err, not to metion the (lack of) daylight:
http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en.../2017/november

Yours sincerely,
Marketing Manager
Visit Scotland
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:11 am
Original Poster

There's a lot of combinations and permutations - some companies offer circular trips, some one-way, some round trip. That price seems about right - it's an expensive business.

(I did a 3 day trip on the Welsh borders a couple of years ago. It felt like a taster, and we failed to make the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, which we'd hoped for!)

http://www.abcboathire.com/ is one of the good multi-search engines, and http://www.latelink.com/ for cheaper, last-minute deals.

Actually I don't. But I have to apply for my leave between 18 months and 12 months in advance and I don't necessarily get what I want. I was there last year in the Summer time, but I could well be allocated January or February next year, which I imagine would be worse than October. I have a long break this time as I've managed to combine annual leave and some long service leave.

Originally Posted by farci
Err, not to metion the (lack of) daylight:
http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en.../2017/november

Yours sincerely,
Marketing Manager
Visit Scotland
I'm in Scotland from early October, so I guess I'd try to make it from then. I could possibly just do a few days on the boat for the experience of travelling on the canal, and tour around by car to actually see places.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
You've probably already thought of this, but if you're planning on boating alone you should be prepared for some special challenges when operating locks, mooring, etc. It's not impossible, but it's a bit trickier than when there's a companion along to assist.

An overview: https://www.waterways.org.uk/blog/single_handed_boating
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:25 pm

Do check that the section of canal you want to use is actually open. November round to March is prime time for heavy maintenance, which often involves emptying/draining locks or even whole lengths of waterway. They do it then because hardly anyone wants to do pleasure boating. Too cold, too wet, too dark!

Last edited by Andy33; Apr 22, 2017 at 12:10 am Reason: Fix typo
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by weegraeme
Hi, all.

I'm going to Scotland in early October and returning in the second half of November.

After a recent visit to the Falkirk Wheel, I've decided I'd like to do a trip on the canals. How long does it take to do a canal trip? I'm not quite sure how it works. Do you pick up the boat at "A" and sail to "B" or do pick up and drop off at the same spot after sailing along a bit and then turn around? How long would I need to allow. I see that you can hire for a few days or for a week. A week seems to cost between Ł800 and Ł1200. I know there's upkeep on the boats and they're there to make money, etc, but this seems a lot of money for a week. But I wouldn't like to just go for a 3 day trip and wish I'd booked for longer.

Any suggestions?
I'd personally give the Forth and Clyde a miss and choose the Caledonian Canal instead.
More dramatic scenery and you have a good chance of spotting Nessie at that time of year.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
You've probably already thought of this, but if you're planning on boating alone you should be prepared for some special challenges when operating locks, mooring, etc. It's not impossible, but it's a bit trickier than when there's a companion along to assist.

Actually, I had no idea I'd have to do this. I assumed there would be people operating them and I'd have to pay to go through. I'll have my mum with me, but she's 80. Might need to find some relatives who want to tag along for a little while.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andy33
Do check that the section of canal you want to use is actually open. November round to March is prime time for heavy maintenance, which often involves emptying/draining locks or even whole lengths of waterway. They do it then because hardly anyone wants to do pleasure boating. Too cold, too wet, too dark!
I'll be in Scotland from early October to late November, but I was looking at doing it early on. Basically a quick "hello" to most of the family and then on to the boat. Maybe I'll just do a weekend or midweek trip so I can experience travelling on the canal without having to deal too much with the cold.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The boats cost a lot but they are designed for larger groups for the most part.

Does your mom have any mobility issues?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Giggleswick

I looked into a boating holiday a couple years ago, when my kid was 15, and all the companies I researched required "two able bodied adults over age 18" for a rental, so the OP might want to check if the companies s/he's looking at have the same requirement.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:38 pm

Re the comment above about the challenges of opening lochs on your own. The lochs on the Caledonian Canal are manned - you don't operate them yourself.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The boats cost a lot but they are designed for larger groups for the most part.

Does your mom have any mobility issues?
She's mobile, although not as quick as she once was.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I looked into a boating holiday a couple years ago, when my kid was 15, and all the companies I researched required "two able bodied adults over age 18" for a rental, so the OP might want to check if the companies s/he's looking at have the same requirement.
Thanks. I'll look into what's required.

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Re the comment above about the challenges of opening lochs on your own. The lochs on the Caledonian Canal are manned - you don't operate them yourself.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.