Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber: Newbury to Highclere Castle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Uber: Newbury to Highclere Castle

Going to London and will visit Highclere Castle. I need to take the train to Newbury and then a cab to the castle. Is Uber available in this area?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:21 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
No, you're out in quite a rural area. Newbury should have taxis on the rank at the station.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
No, you're out in quite a rural area. Newbury should have taxis on the rank at the station.
That's what I thought. Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Highclere was a really enjoyable daytrip, especially as the weather was sunny and perfect on the day I visited in 2013.

There were indeed taxis at the rank at Newbury station, and would imagine the local cabbies would know when Highclere is open to visitors and plan accordingly.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:08 am
Original Poster

I'm really looking forward to my visit. if no Uber, I'll just hire a taxi at the station or maybe share one with another person. The train tickets aren't available until May 19th, I believe. I don't know if it is to my advantage to pre-book the train tickets.

About how many hours should I plan for my visit? I am quite interested in the Egyptian exhibit. I don't plan to have tea, but maybe a snack. I've already purchased my ticket.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:46 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
For Newbury, no, there's only the walk-up fare (£24.50 off-peak r/t).
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
About how many hours should I plan for my visit? I am quite interested in the Egyptian exhibit. I don't plan to have tea, but maybe a snack. I've already purchased my ticket.
My ticket showed timed entry from 2-4:30PM, though it was a special event in that the admission was packaged with tea and scone, plus a copy of Lady Almina and The Real Downton Abbey.

Highclere wasn't meant to be open on that day, but there must have been a change in plans and they added a limited opening day at GBP$100 a ticket. Rather expensive but given the significant travel time from Australia I was just pleased to have the option.

The grounds were beautiful too and well worth a stroll.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coathanger
My ticket showed timed entry from 2-4:30PM, though it was a special event in that the admission was packaged with tea and scone, plus a copy of Lady Almina and The Real Downton Abbey.

Highclere wasn't meant to be open on that day, but there must have been a change in plans and they added a limited opening day at GBP$100 a ticket. Rather expensive but given the significant travel time from Australia I was just pleased to have the option.

The grounds were beautiful too and well worth a stroll.
Thanks. My ticket (senior) was reasonable. It covers the castle, grounds, and Egypt area.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA, A3, Hilton, IHG
That's the ticket package my wife and I used - we arrived just before midday, and left around 4pm, and had a pleasant stroll around the grounds, a spot of lunch, the house tour and the Egypt exhibition to finish off. No photos allowed in the house by the way.

There a few places to get food which were quite reasonably priced and tasty, but a lot of people there opted for bringing picnics, particularly as our visit two weeks ago coincided with the warmest day of the year so far in the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.