FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Westin Dublin vs Shelbourne? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1831382-westin-dublin-vs-shelbourne.html)

AtlLhr Mar 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Westin Dublin vs Shelbourne?

My husband and I are debating between the Westin and the Shelbourne for the first week in October.
Anyone have a preference? We are using points and will have SPG gold status which Marriott will match.
We will not have a car and need to get to the airport very early in the morning to catch our flight.
We will be sightseeing mostly in that area and would like to hit a pub or two as well
Thanks for the help!

RichardInSF Mar 23, 2017 2:42 pm

Neither of these are luxury hotels so I am going to move this to the UK/Ireland forum where it should get a better response.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

P.S. I do remember that the Westin is right near a stop on the express bus route to DUB, but don't remember the schedule.

tdo-ca Mar 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Westin is in a converted (I think bank) building close to Trinity, Temple Bar, and the river. Shelbourne is by the green, but really not very far away. My stay at the Westin had a weekend night, and Temple Bar noise absolutely spilled over. That wouldn't be a problem at Shelbourne, which I'd prefer. Good pubs walking distance to both - it is Dublin, after all. Palace Bar near Westin. O'Donoghue's near Shelbourne.

stimpy Mar 24, 2017 2:58 am

As Platinum I've gotten the College Suite (Presidential Suite) twice. However as Gold you'd probably get a one level upgrade. I very much like the hotel and never heard any noise from Temple Bar. But I appreciated being able to walk over there easily.

AtlLhr Mar 25, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks for the replies! We are leaning towards the Shelbourne because they offer a free breakfast with gold and since we are leaving so early in the morning we will have to take a cab or Uber. I don't think the buses will be running. Both hotels are so nice, we will have to save the other for out next trip

sapman986 Mar 29, 2017 12:27 pm

I've stayed at both many times. I prefer the Shelbourne for it's location, though the Westin is nice also. Despite being an SPG plat and only a Marriott silver through a credit card, I consistently get much better upgrades at the Shelbourne.

griffingrowl Apr 7, 2017 1:54 am

I have visited Dublin about a dozen times and almost always stayed at The Westin due to my Starwood SPG loyalt. Stayed at The Shelbourne this trip and MUCH preferred it. Nicer location (right next to St Stephen's Green) lots of nice shops and restaurants, lovely rooms.

My only gripe was the height of the shower head in the bathroom.

Taxi to the airport is about €35 and actually I took the Aircoach from the airport to the hotel for €8.50 and it dropped me 1.5 blocks from the hotel and this was marginally slower than a taxi - I think it made one stop before mine.