Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OAK-LGW- Porto

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

OAK-LGW- Porto

SO I have a ticket fro OAK to London Gatwick on Norwegian arriving at 12:30 and then plan to buy a ticket to Porto in Portugal that leaves a bit after I arrive.

Do I have to go through passport control and security to pick up the flight on to Portugal? On the Gatwick airport website it seems I don't since I won't be checking any luggage- just a carry on and I'm going to Portugal. Is that the case? If not, how much time should I allow for my connecting flights.

thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What LGW terminal does Norwegian arrive at and what terminal will the Porto flight leave from?
You may have little chance of getting a flight that "leaves a bit after I arrive".
When this thread gets moved to the UK forum you will get more opinions

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 17, 2017 at 10:17 pm Reason: Corrected LHR LGW
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalkgadgetfreaky.

As this is about a connection in the UK, we'll move this to the UK forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Mar 17, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Norwegian flies to LGW, as the OP stated, which arrives at 12:40. There is a nonstop flight on BA that departs at 17:30 which is quite a layover at LGW but you could leave the airport to go to a local restaurant and such to burn some time. You would then have to go through passport control.
If you're traveling with just hand luggage & have your boarding pass for your BA flight (via app is fine) you can avoid passport control by following the connecting flights signs.

There are paid access lounges, or if you have access via PP or Lounge Club, that could make it more enjoyable as LGW is basically a big shopping mall with flights but I'd venture out to a local restaurant and a walk after your long flight and then go back to the airport for some drinks.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Mar 17, 2017 at 10:22 pm Reason: Mwenezi corrected post to LGW from LHR
Old Mar 18, 2017, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You understand that you have no protection on your Porto flight if you miss it, right? In other words, if your Norwegian flight is very late, your entire Porto ticket is in danger.

On the other hand, if you have loads of time, I can recommend The Old House Inn in Copthorne. Lovely atmosphere and great food.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Norwegian flies to LGW, as the OP stated, which arrives at 12:40. There is a nonstop flight on BA that departs at 17:30 which is quite a layover at LGW but you could leave the airport to go to a local restaurant and such to burn some time. You would then have to go through passport control.
If you're traveling with just hand luggage & have your boarding pass for your BA flight (via app is fine) you can avoid passport control by following the connecting flights signs.

There are paid access lounges, or if you have access via PP or Lounge Club, that could make it more enjoyable as LGW is basically a big shopping mall with flights but I'd venture out to a local restaurant and a walk after your long flight and then go back to the airport for some drinks.
Thanks. If I stay in the terminal do I have to go through security again? Or do I just go to the right gate and presetn my boarding pass?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Just be aware that Norwegian, in the last couple of summers, has very often been late and sometimes very late.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky
Thanks. If I stay in the terminal do I have to go through security again? Or do I just go to the right gate and presetn my boarding pass?
Hi,

You will have to go through security again.

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.