Wiki Posts
Search

prepaid SIM-buy at Heathrow or wait

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, SPG, FFFWP
prepaid SIM-buy at Heathrow or wait

Is it okay to buy a sim at Heathrow or better to wait until I get into town? Someone posted that they have SIM vending machines at Heathrow? Or you can buy them at WHSmith?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by ktravelbear
Is it okay to buy a sim at Heathrow or better to wait until I get into town? Someone posted that they have SIM vending machines at Heathrow? Or you can buy them at WHSmith?
Forget about the vending machines and that mobile shop in arrivals,they are overpriced. WH Smith in arrivals sells the same thing at normal high street prices.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If the WH Smith doesn't have one you like, many shops in London will sell you a wide selection of prepaid SIMs - supermarkets, corner shops, branded mobile phone shops, independent mobile phone shops, etc. You do not need to use the (expensive) mobile SIM vendor stall in the airport.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by flatlander
If the WH Smith doesn't have one you like, many shops in London will sell you a wide selection of prepaid SIMs - supermarkets, corner shops, branded mobile phone shops, independent mobile phone shops, etc. You do not need to use the (expensive) mobile SIM vendor stall in the airport.
+1

The exception is Paddington area,where almost everyone shop will try to sell the sim for you for £5. The sim is free if you buy it at the phone network branches directly and £1 if you buy them from the retailers (Tesco,Sainsbury etc).
Old Mar 6, 2017, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
You might find this thread interesting too: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...and-wales.html
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:00 pm

When we visited in November, we really wanted to be able to use our phones immediately on arrival, so I bought two new Three SIM cards from a UK seller on ebay for around USD8 including shipping. I was able to activate them online from the US, but was not able to top them up, so we had to buy two top-up vouchers at the WHSmith in T5. But we were calling and texting away shortly thereafter.

For us, the All in One 10 add-on was plenty for a week, Wi-Fi was plentiful everywhere we went.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.