Wiki Posts
Search

Alternative FX and money transfer service? Fed up with Revolut

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
My transfers from a German to a UK account take less than 30 seconds. It works really well for me.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:04 am

Programs: Miles&More
I use Transferwise every month. I send CHF (Swiss francs) to Transferwise and they deposit EUR in my account. Process takes about 2 or 3 days (1 day for transferwise to receive the money, 1 day to get the money from transferwise).

They can also hold money for you like Revolut because they have this concept of "Borderless account", but this is different than doing a transfer. I usually just do transfer so the money doesn't even go to this account, goes directly to my EUR account.

Also, I heard they were experimenting with a credit card which I think is in closed beta (invitation only), so in the future they might become an adversary to Revolut in the card business as well.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Thanks for the feedback all. I found that I signed up for Transferwise some time ago but never used it. Seems like this is better suited to my needs and with better fx rates. Tried a transfer this morning and we'll see how that goes.

See what Moneycorp has to offer you. I have used them in the past for transferring large amounts from country to country with no real hassle once an account has been set up. Both to make immediate transfers and to lock in an exchange rate for future transfers. I don't know if they have an APP or not, I don't use APPS personally.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Transferwise have always been fine for me.
^
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
See what Moneycorp has to offer you. I have used them in the past for transferring large amounts from country to country with no real hassle once an account has been set up. Both to make immediate transfers and to lock in an exchange rate for future transfers. I don't know if they have an APP or not, I don't use APPS personally.
I had a look, but I think TW is still the better option. I've deleted my Revolut app and cut up the card.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:37 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Another satisfied TW user (for GBP-EUR) here.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I use OFX (formerly OzForex), works much like TW.

Revolut & Monzo for holiday spending.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I've been using xe.com for years, but my needs are simple: just occasional transfers between my US bank account and my German one (either direction, though mostly USD -> EUR these days)
Old May 21, 2018, 6:21 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
transferwise with larger sums

Hopping onto this - does anyone using transferwise have experience with larger sums ($100k)?

They're quoting a rate about 0.1% off spot, and charging less than 0.5% fees... there's a saying about 'something seeming too good to be true', so I'd just like to do a bit of 'due diligence'.

Thanks
Old May 22, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I've done up to $40k with OFX. What you see on the quote is what you (or the recipient) get.
Very transparent.

I'd guess TW is the same.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I've done >$10k with OFX and HiFX and both have been trouble-fee and transparent. The only pain has been providing extra security either via a phone call or providing photocopies of ID, but it has not always been needed. (In both cases I have moved a few hundred dollars first to make sure everything works ok. Nice thing about Aus payment is using BPay so you don't risk fat-fingers typing numbers incorrectly.)
Old May 24, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Transferwise's borderless debit card offers accounts in USD, GBP, € and AUD and can transfer many more currencies. They use IBANs for these accounts. CHF transfers are made through Deutsche Bank, Zurich but as yet there is no CHF account.

We need an account to receive regular CHF payments from my wife's former Swiss employer. Until now, they have gone into her longstanding Swiss bank account, but her bank is closing non-resident services except at stupidly high cost. She has been unable to find a Swiss bank offering reasonable charges. In theory, these credits could go into her UK Nationwide account using SWIFT or SEPA services, but the amounts would be converted into sterling. My wife would prefer to keep her francs as francs, as I would in her situation.

Has anybody experience of transferring CHF (or other) payments to a UK account? Could TW do the job? Many thanks.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Roger
Transferwise's borderless debit card offers accounts in USD, GBP, € and AUD and can transfer many more currencies. They use IBANs for these accounts. CHF transfers are made through Deutsche Bank, Zurich but as yet there is no CHF account.

We need an account to receive regular CHF payments from my wife's former Swiss employer. Until now, they have gone into her longstanding Swiss bank account, but her bank is closing non-resident services except at stupidly high cost. She has been unable to find a Swiss bank offering reasonable charges. In theory, these credits could go into her UK Nationwide account using SWIFT or SEPA services, but the amounts would be converted into sterling. My wife would prefer to keep her francs as francs, as I would in her situation.

Has anybody experience of transferring CHF (or other) payments to a UK account? Could TW do the job? Many thanks.
Could you not open a CHF account at Nationwide? Or any other UK bank? You could then use TW to convert to GBP.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 4:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Here is an interesting story on Revolut, from the FT:

https://www.ft.com/content/8cf142df-...5-204c9a0a157b

Revolut saga spotlights concerns over digital banks’ service standards

Account holder tells of eight-week battle to recover £150,000 bank transfer

Being repaid the £150,000 in dollars and euros that he had lent to a relative 10 years ago should have been good news for Richard Walker. Instead, it was the beginning of an eight-week nightmare this summer, when he was unable to find out why the money had not arrived in his account.

As more people sign up to online banks such as Revolut — and complaints about their services grow — the case of Mr Walker (whose name has been changed at his request) raises important questions about the digital future of banking. Can the newcomers to a heavily regulated sector live up to the fintech hype while maintaining the levels of service that customers have come to expect in their day-to-day financial activities?

Left hanging

Mr Walker’s money was transferred to his Revolut account on July 6. The electronic money account marked the amount as “pending”, but then nothing happened to change its status and give him access to the money.

It was the first time that a substantial sum had been paid into his account in the several years he had held it. As a lawyer and now a full-time parent, Mr Walker was aware that banks and electronic banking apps are required by the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 to monitor accounts for money laundering and fraudulent activity. A large sum being paid in from a foreign account looked suspicious. He decided to contact his bank to explain.

But Revolut did not have a telephone number. Instead it had an “in-app chat” facility that failed to work. A conversation would be started but not finished. A member of the Revolut team left the chat without closing it. Mr Walker found it impossible to make progress on finding his money or receiving a full explanation.
It goes on...
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Is Revolut an actual bank? I didn't think it conformed to banking laws. I use OFX or XE for money transfers since they have financial safeguards built in. I know many people use Transferwise but I am not sure of it's legal standing either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.