Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

VAT refund - purchase in London - fly to Ireland then USA.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avios, Smiles, British Airways Executive, Lifemiles.

Hi all,

Have a specific situ about getting a VAT refund. Context - Last year didn't do enough research on very, very expensive camera equipment bought in London, got the receipts, but left in a ball of confusion and a closed VAT office in Gatwick. Wastn't able to get a refund.

This time I really don't want to screw this up again.

I am an Irish national resident in Brazil. [/U][/U] I am returning to London in a few months and will be buying an expensive watch. I am NOT returning to Brazil from London but will be flying to Belfast (part of UK) then spending some time in Dublin. My point of departure of the EU will be in Dublin on a one-way ticket early morning flight, to the USA for a holiday.

My question - where the hell do I submit my VAT refund forms? At Gatwick in the UK? I presume not as I'll be flying to Belfast which is part of the UK. Do I then try and get a VAT refund on my UK purchases in Dublin?? As this will be my point of departure of the EU?

Yours, totally confused,

Ed.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EdBraz
My question - where the hell do I submit my VAT refund forms? At Gatwick in the UK? I presume not as I'll be flying to Belfast which is part of the UK. Do I then try and get a VAT refund on my UK purchases in Dublin? As this will be my point of departure of the EU?
Dublin is not in the UK. Would not expect a UK VAT office to be in another country.

I have requested moderators to move this thread to UK forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avios, Smiles, British Airways Executive, Lifemiles.
Sure, I'm aware that Dublin is not in the UK However Dublin, like the UK is part of the EU and I'm leaving the UK to Dublin, at Dublin I'll be leaving the EU. So where do I get my VAT UK refund? Upon leaving the UK or EU?

no problems re moving of thread if it's in the wrong place.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Tax on shopping and services (in the U. K.) (link - U. K. Government)

(In part) How to get a VAT refund
  1. Get a VAT 407 form from the retailer - they might ask for proof that you’re eligible, eg your passport.
  2. Show the goods, the completed form and your receipts to customs at the point when you leave the EU (this might not be in the UK).
  3. Customs will approve your form if everything is in order. You then take the approved form to get paid.

Heathrow airport "Are you eligible to claim a VAT refund?" (link to PDF)
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Tax on shopping and services (in the U. K.) (link - U. K. Government)

(In part) How to get a VAT refund
  1. Get a VAT 407 form from the retailer - they might ask for proof that you’re eligible, eg your passport.
  2. Show the goods, the completed form and your receipts to customs at the point when you leave the EU (this might not be in the UK).
  3. Customs will approve your form if everything is in order. You then take the approved form to get paid.

Heathrow airport "Are you eligible to claim a VAT refund?" (link to PDF)
Would that also work if the goods are shipped from the UK to Germany and eported from there or would I personally have to visit the shop in the UK?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 5:51 pm

As long as the UK is part of the EU you can declare and get the stamp (and thus refund) at the point of exit. I've done this several time.

E.g. I bought a pair of specs in Paris, left and didn't want to deal with the long lines, returned to AMS a month later and got the stamp there.

Makes sense a many people buy items across several EU countries.

I do think you typically have to visit the shop to get the proper form but call - I am sure they would be happy to include it int he shipment to Germany.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
If you are unable to claim a refund at DUB you can send the form to the retailer once you are home, but going to a refund booth is the best option for you it seems.

Regarding your LGW experience, worth checking JDiver's link for future reference:

If there are no customs officials available, you can leave your form in a customs post box. Customs will check it and contact your retailer to arrange the refund if everything is in order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.