Wiki Posts
Search

Uber from LHR into a non-Uber zone?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Uber from LHR into a non-Uber zone?

I'm looking at booking a minicab to take me from LHR at 22:30 into north Hampshire, but Uber's fare estimate is coming in much lower than any quoted taxi fares (£43-£53 vs £62 minimum). The journey would take about an hour.

Am I likely to find Uber drivers unwilling to accept the ride because of the dead return mileage, or will it be fine? I don't want to arrive back at LHR with no way to get home.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:57 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Often wondered the same!

If not, the last coach to Woking goes at 23:15 - you could easily pick up a taxi from there.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I took an Uber from a Heathrow hotel to the Four Seasons (near Hook) last week with no trouble.

It took literally 1 minute from requesting a ride to the driver pulling in to the forecourt.

Cost was £57.35, I think the estimated cost shown when booking was £45 to £65 (oddly vague). This was UberX. From the airport you would get a £4 parking fee on top.

Uber now makes you input your destination when booking, and a driver who does not want the job simply won't try to bag it.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I don't believe Uber drivers see a passenger's entered destination before actual passenger pick-up.

Uber requires the destination to give passengers a fare quote (and thus surreptitiously obfuscate any surge pricing that may be in effect).

Originally Posted by Raffles
Uber now makes you input your destination when booking, and a driver who does not want the job simply won't try to bag it.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
An Uber employee told me that it is used - if the driver does not see it, it will be that drivers can elect not to receive jobs in certain areas. They do not want to force a driver ending a shift to take a job like this, especially if they live in the opposite direction.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've found Uber, Simply Airports and Just Airports to be over 50% cheaper than London black cabs. What I like about Just Airports in particular is that they give you AN EXACT PRICE, not an estimate.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:12 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Analise
I've found Uber, Simply Airports and Just Airports to be over 50% cheaper than London black cabs. What I like about Just Airports in particular is that they give you AN EXACT PRICE, not an estimate.

FWIW, that is standard practice for all minicab companies.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by stut
FWIW, that is standard practice for all minicab companies.
Indeed.

Minicabs = fixed price (fares set by individual company)
Uber = metered (fares set by Uber)
Black cabs = metered (fares set by TfL)
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:45 am
formerly known as ravishah

Really they can see it, I was the same and believed drivers cannot see the destination until they have accepted they job?

I often get the driver phoning and asking where I am going and then making up some lame excuse if they don't want the job, mainly so you will cancel. Otherwise if they reject the job they go to the back of the queue again for a job and at Heathrow that can be quite a long wait.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I went ahead and Ubered, and my experience was similar to Raffles' above.

No problems. I asked the driver if these kinds of fares were common, and he said he regularly has 30-40 mile trips outside of London from LHR. He even mentioned Birmingham happens occasionally.

His attitude towards these fares seemed neutral.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
There is an oversupply of Ubers in London so they're probably glad to get a decent size fare, even with the dead return leg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.