Immigration at LHR on Boxing Day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Immigration at LHR on Boxing Day

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Analise
How do people return home from the Christmas holiday to return to work on Dec 27? Do they hire cars instead? Commuter and long-distance trains here are full.
Bear in mind the 27th this year is a public holiday since Christmas Day is on a Sunday. Therefore offices won't be open until the 28th.

Shops will be open from Boxing Day.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:37 am

Analise - I'm pretty sure there'd be a significant market for Boxing Day trains, and I think various surveys support this.

However I think the issue is more that changing railway staff working practices to accommodate this world be a very difficult task. The private train franchises here are time limited and so they don't really have a great incentive to go through the rigmarole of changing staff working patterns, despite the fact that in the long run it would be a good thing for the railways

For example currently the weekend and in particular Sunday service relies on staff working overtime, so if staff decide not to opt for overtime (sometimes as a kind of unofficial protest or negotiating strategy with their employer, sometimes perhaps just because it's the summer and there's sons good sport on tv) then the full service cannot be provided.

However what these older working arrangements don't take into account is that the world has changed and demand for weekend and in particular Sunday trains is much higher these days.

So providing a service on Boxing Day is kinda all wrapped up in that!

Meanwhile if you were to go to Victoria Coach Station in London on the 26th you'd likely find it pretty busy.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Bear in mind the 27th this year is a public holiday since Christmas Day is on a Sunday. Therefore offices won't be open until the 28th.

Shops will be open from Boxing Day.
Ok, then how do they return home to start work on the 28th?

It's hard to imagine that there is no train service on bank holidays. Our Memorial Day holiday, for example, has packed trains toward the end of the day into the evening returning to NYC. On Thanksgiving, our trains are packed coming into and out of NYC. They are on Sunday schedules which are often hourly.

Buses would not nearly be enough to handle the demand.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:41 pm

[...] It's hard to imagine that there is no train service on bank holidays. [...]
I think there's been a bit of a misunderstanding, Analise!

We do have a train service on bank holidays, just not on Boxing Day (the 26th), with a handful of exceptions.

The 27th is a bank holiday as a substitute for Christmas Day, because the 25th falls on a Sunday - and there will be train services running on the 27th.

(I should add that things are a bit different north of the border in Scotland, where on the 26th / Boxing Day a revised train service runs on most of the Scottish network.)
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lots and lots of people don't work between Christmas and New Year. One of the lovely things about having civilised paid holiday allowances,
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Hi all,

I'm landing into LHR T3 at around 9am on Boxing Day.

What do you think? Should I expect:
- an extra busy immigration hall?
- a normally busy immigration hall?
- an empty immigration hall?

P.S. The train/tube strikes *shouldn't* affect us. We'll be using the Rail-Air coach service to Reading and then getting picked up by family to go to deep, dark Berkshire.
RailAir coach on Boxing day? You sure?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
RailAir coach on Boxing day? You sure?
Yes. I got it in writing the RailAir coach from Heathrow to Reading is operating on Boxing Day! I already have the tickets
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am checking intercity train service London-Liverpool 26 Dec. Is this a no-go?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I believe it's a non-starter. Get a rental car (if you can find one) or consider National Express. Or fly from Manchester.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:16 pm

It's a no go.

There are only a handful of routes with any service on Boxing Day, and none of the 'intercity' class of routes have any service whatsoever (in England & Wales, things are different in Scotland).
Old Dec 17, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Ok, then how do they return home to start work on the 28th?
People drive.

Unusually long distances, sometimes to unfamiliar places, often in poor weather in poorly-maintained, overloaded vehicles, with fractious spouses and children for company.

It's great...
Old Dec 18, 2016, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mizter T
It's a no go.

There are only a handful of routes with any service on Boxing Day, and none of the 'intercity' class of routes have any service whatsoever (in England & Wales, things are different in Scotland).
Originally Posted by mad_rich
People drive.

Unusually long distances, sometimes to unfamiliar places, often in poor weather in poorly-maintained, overloaded vehicles, with fractious spouses and children for company.

It's great...
Pretty amazing ......
Old Dec 18, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Pretty amazing ......
Yep, the UK is pretty amazing at this time of year. A real opportunity to wind down and at least in my line of work be able to tell clients you're not going to be around & there's no problem at all with that.

As has been noted up thread (and I admit service/retail industries are different) but large swathes of the population take just two and a half or three days off work, which translates into a ten day break.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Best time of year. People calm down, relax and de-stress. And return re-invigorated in the New Year. I don't know anybody whose office is even open between Christmas and the New Year.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Best time of year. People calm down, relax and de-stress. And return re-invigorated in the New Year. I don't know anybody whose office is even open between Christmas and the New Year.
Ha, you must have an extremely limited circle of acquaintances!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.