Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Issued Contactless Card Does Not Work on London Underground

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doppy
My platinum card worked fine last summer but also stopped working this year. I complained to AmEx and asked them to investigate.
I contacted AmEx in advance of another trip to London to follow up on my previous request that they look into this and they claim that the issue has been resolved and they have verified this with other cardholders. Any recent experiences?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
I contacted AmEx in advance of another trip to London to follow up on my previous request that they look into this and they claim that the issue has been resolved and they have verified this with other cardholders. Any recent experiences?
SPG Amex has always worked for me, and worked fine this May
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Are there other places where contactless is not accepted? Saw a lot of disappointed faces wanting to get onto the old Routemaster running on line 15. Apparently they don't take contactless on these buses which made me wonder if there are other places where contactless is not accepted.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

How did you actually get someone at Amex who was aware of the problem?

Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
How did you actually get someone at Amex who was aware of the problem?
I originally called in and insisted they look into the problem. I followed up by chat a couple days ago and referenced my earlier call; the agent was able to see the information linked to my account.

That said, I'm pretty skeptical, but we'll see.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:29 am

@WorldLux. Old Routemaster services on route 15 are the only tfl services that don't accept any contactless (doesn't matter where issued) or Apple-Android Pay. This is because it is a tiny sub fleet (about ten or so vehicles) and tfl decided it wasn't worth buying new ticket readers for such a small pool of conductors.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by manda99
I attempted to use my contactless Ventra card last year in London and it wouldn't work. Ventra is the fare card for Chicago Transit, but it's also a contactless Mastercard. I talked to Ventra in advance and they said it would work as long as I loaded money into the MasterCard account on it. Did not work. Ended up buying an Oyster card with the Ventra card.
TFL needs the "opening a tab" type transaction to be available on the card to be compatible with the contactless system - since it pre-authorizes the daily cap amount, but then only takes your actual usage at the end of the day. This "opening a tab" type transaction is typically not allowed on pre-paid MasterCards which i'm assuming this card is classed as. If you cannot use it on the gas pump in the US you wont be able to use it on TFL.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Someone mentioned in the contactless thread that their US-issued Visa card (Chase Sapphire Reserve) worked on TfL with Apple Pay after re-adding it. You may need to upgrade to the latest iOS as well as re-adding the card, too. Hopefully I'll be able to confirm that as well.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:56 pm

Just to add in another report: 3 separate US-issued AMEX platinum cards with contactless logo failed to work either at the Thames clipper ferry boarding gate or the London underground gate, despite being able to use it for conventional purchase. The gate at the tube gives out code 78, Card not accepted.

More interesting, at this page advertising contactless card for London buses,

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/c...ments/tfl.html

It says "Look for contactless functionality to roll out to the Tube in the coming year."

No idea how long ago this page was setup.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:51 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by smala01
TFL needs the "opening a tab" type transaction to be available on the card to be compatible with the contactless system - since it pre-authorizes the daily cap amount, but then only takes your actual usage at the end of the day. This "opening a tab" type transaction is typically not allowed on pre-paid MasterCards which i'm assuming this card is classed as. If you cannot use it on the gas pump in the US you wont be able to use it on TFL.
I can't speak for the US but this statement is not necessarily true.

I have a prepaid UK mastercard which doesn't work at the pump at UK petrol stations, but it works on TfL.

I also have a prepaid Australian mastercard which doesn't work at the pump in Australian petrol stations, but it works on TfL. (I used it to travel between LHR terminals as an experiment - I wouldn't otherwise use an AUD card to spend in GBP).
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by :D!
I can't speak for the US but this statement is not necessarily true.

I have a prepaid UK mastercard which doesn't work at the pump at UK petrol stations, but it works on TfL.

I also have a prepaid Australian mastercard which doesn't work at the pump in Australian petrol stations, but it works on TfL. (I used it to travel between LHR terminals as an experiment - I wouldn't otherwise use an AUD card to spend in GBP).
I believe Mastercard mandates a minimum set of requirements for all contactless cards/mobile wallets that permits them to work on transit; scanning my Diners Club MC as well as the same card in Apple Pay seems to return very similar data. My SPG AmEx, on the other hand, returns more data compared to the Apple Pay version--which makes me think that AmEx added some restrictions to US mobile wallets.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I originally called in and insisted they look into the problem. I followed up by chat a couple days ago and referenced my earlier call; the agent was able to see the information linked to my account.

That said, I'm pretty skeptical, but we'll see.
Well despite AmEx's assurances that the problem was fixed, as of October my card still didn't work. I'll try again next month. Really annoying that they broke this.
Old May 23, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: Kettle Class
I'll be the counter-datapoint. US-issued contactless Amex Hilton worked fine for me last week on TfL buses and Tube.

Well despite AmEx's assurances that the problem was fixed, as of October my card still didn't work. I'll try again next month. Really annoying that they broke this.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by progapanda
I'll be the counter-datapoint. US-issued contactless Amex Hilton worked fine for me last week on TfL buses and Tube.
Me, too!
Old May 27, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, I didn't realize they were offering contactless on other cards. I'll try my plat again in a couple weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.