Reload this Page >

Dublin - Looking for an electric griddle for eggs, grilled cheese, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin - Looking for an electric griddle for eggs, grilled cheese, etc

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:37 am

Personally I can't imagine cooking bacon, eggs, hamburgers and whatnot in a normal hotel room without a kitchenette area. Aside from the rules it just sounds rather unpleasant.

If you planned on doing that wouldn't you pick some sort of self-catering accommodation which is usually cheaper than hotels anyway? That would also include utensils, crockery, etc. For instance when I was a kid we used to holiday in mobile homes or self-catering apartments in France - much cheaper than hotels and much more suited to cooking food.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 4:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flwrlover1
And you non-Americans trust Google?? Tsk, tsk.

Besides, don't you guys use devices outside of an actual kitchen? Just because the room hasn't been designated as such, does not mean that a meal can't be easily prepared.
You may be well-meaning. But you are coming across as very naive.
As others have noted, most hotels in Ireland FORBID you from cooking in the bedroom - it's for health and safety reasons.
If you pursue the current plan, expect to find yourself out of your hotel room(s) in fairly short order.
As others have suggested, you should be booking self-catering accommodations: apartments, house, cottage etc
Those have regular kitchens and you can cook all you want.
Right now, you are now on the road to a very messy and expensive vacation as you likely will find yourself hotel-less and looking for last minute accommodation over Xmas holiday period.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:37 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As others have said, no-one cooks in hotel rooms in the UK/Ireland - the chance of setting a fire alarm sensor off with the smoke is too great for one, and of course there's also the inherent risk of setting something alight in the room, plus the smell generated because there won't be any extraction in the room. You really, really won't be thanked if you attempt it, and you might well end up with a very large cleaning bill to clear the fumes and any mess you create - something in the region of $300 - although I doubt you'll be asked to leave unless you're in a small B&B.

There are hotels which offer kitchenette areas, mostly chains, but I suspect very few in Ireland outside dedicated self-catering.

I would re-assess what you're doing, and if the intention really is to save money then you need to consider non-cooked alternatives like sandwiches for lunch which could be made without creating any of the issues highlighted.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:41 am

Besides, don't you guys use devices outside of an actual kitchen?
Err, no, not really!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Mizter T
Err, no, not really!
Indeed! The only time you might is if camping/caravanning, or perhaps in the garden in lieu of a BBQ.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:59 am

Given the great love of a cuppa on these isles, then electric kettles can be found in many places other than kitchens, though given modern workplace H&S concerns I suspect they'll probably be found in rather fewer outlandish locations than in times past.

Of course, coming back to the original post, you'll find a kettle in many a hotel room... and I'm in no doubt a far few cup-a-soups and pot noodles have been so prepared...
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:01 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Indeed! The only time you might is if camping/caravanning, or perhaps in the garden in lieu of a BBQ.
Or for students, although I suspect student halls are more restrictive these days (or at least attempt to enforce it). It's not that I'd never eat a meal in a hotel room (I do find you get restaurant fatigue after a few days) but I'd tend to go for a cold, deli- or farm shop-based meal rather than a cooked one. (Or an instant porridge pot for breakfast, assuming you have access to a kettle...)

To the OP:

I've enjoyed a couple of good Airbnb stays in Dublin, if that could be an option.

You may also want to reset your expectations about the size of hotel rooms you're going to get round these parts, too. Expect a double or queen size bed unless otherwise specified, and about enough space to walk around the bed and sit at a desk - and nothing more.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Wow. I definitely didn't expect this kind of reaction. You guys are pretty heated about something that is relatively common here. Interesting.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by stut
Or for students, although I suspect student halls are more restrictive these days (or at least attempt to enforce it).
Pretty sure almost all students have some sort of communal kitchen these days - certainly wouldn't be using a griddle in their bedroom.

Back in my student days I did put a fridge in my room but that was very much frowned upon.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:32 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Pretty sure almost all students have some sort of communal kitchen these days - certainly wouldn't be using a griddle in their bedroom.

Back in my student days I did put a fridge in my room but that was very much frowned upon.
Ah, we did have a communal kitchen, but it wasn't up to much - one Baby Belling (i.e. two hobs, or one hob plus oven) between a dozen or couple dozen students, depending on the block. It was pretty common for one or two students to have a toastie maker in their room (occasionally, you'd get someone with a ring hob, though these were banned, mostly on the basis of the amount of electricity they consumed).

I think once the George Formby* grills appeared, a lot more students had them in their rooms. I don't know what it's like now.

Sorry, I know this is a diversion...

* Ooh, it's turned out nice. Again.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Wow. I definitely didn't expect this kind of reaction. You guys are pretty heated about something that is relatively common here. Interesting.
You may not have considered that virtually anything, including a simple residence which has been rewired in the past 40 years in the US will be able to handle the griddle pictured above.

That may not be true of your planned acommodations and they may have been fused (another term from the distant past in the US) so that they cannot handle such items.

Before you save yourself US$200 and cost yourself $500, make a phone call and find out what is possible. Perhaps send an email attaching a photo of the item so that there are no misunderstandings.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Before you save yourself US$200 and cost yourself $500, make a phone call and find out what is possible. Perhaps send an email attaching a photo of the item so that there are no misunderstandings.
Quite honestly, I cannot imagine any hotel manager in the UK/Ireland allowing the use of such a griddle for cooking in an ordinary (non-kitchenette) hotel room. They would be mad if they did.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Quite honestly, I cannot imagine any hotel manager in the UK/Ireland allowing the use of such a griddle for cooking in an ordinary (non-kitchenette) hotel room. They would be mad if they did.
Same thing in the US. It's just not routinely enforced. You would be shocked at what some half-way decent places smell like.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stut

I think once the George Formby* grills appeared,
* Ooh, it's turned out nice. Again.
That will definitely be lost in translation with our American FT chums.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

You guys are hilarious. If we ordered a pizza or had Chinese food delivered, it would have a smell. I get maybe not cooking hamburgers bc of the smell, but grilled cheese or quesadillas? My kids make them on our griddle all the time and pizza has a stronger aroma!

I'm hearing that the wiring might be an issue though, so I can respect that. As far as where someone would use one, it's usually the granite counter above the fridge at the hotel. There's plenty of space and frankly on long vacations we just get sick of eating sandwiches.

But, for the sake of this funny, unexpected response, we will NOT use a griddle! You guys now have me paranoid about plugging in a hairdryer for fear of burning the hotel down!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.