Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Fares to the USA right now

Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Trying to get to MCI from LON during the next week or so but chafing at the £1200+ RT economy fares for the entire month of July. Been trying for a day but can't come up with any combination that will cut that down by much. Any airline at this point.

I have enough miles for an award ticket within the USA on UA, so can pretty much fly to any city and use it from there. Is there any city in the USA served by any airline from LHR that is routinely cheaper than the others? I thought maybe JFK, but it doesn't appear to be so.

Skyscanner tells me I can cut the cost significantly by going through one of the budget sites (Opodo, BudgetAir, etc.) but the online reviews tell me that is a very risky proposition. Flights from DUB are significantly cheaper, but the cost of getting to DUB negates much of the savings. ITA tells me there is a £1000 flight on LOT, but LOT's booking engine doesn't support that.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I would work out which other European cities your UA miles can get you to on the date you want to travel and then use Google Flights to search from those cities (e.g. Lufthansa to FRA / STU / TXL or LOT to WAW). Are you staying a Saturday night?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by konagirl2
I would work out which other European cities your UA miles can get you to on the date you want to travel and then use Google Flights to search from those cities (e.g. Lufthansa to FRA / STU / TXL or LOT to WAW). Are you staying a Saturday night?
I am flexible, if nothing else. Can stay 7 days, 10 days, 6 days, doesn't matter. Just need to get back within the next two weeks. Good suggestion, though. I will see what I can come up with this way.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by konagirl2
My thought as well.

Air Berlin is showing £909 round-trip DUS to JFK - use UA miles for LHR-DUS.

Also £990 DUS to ORD.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 5:55 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I don't quite understand these prices. ITA Matrix shows Y fares from DUB into ORD starting from £546 for many July dates on a 6-day stay requirement - earliest leave date is 5th July. VS is lowest, with not the best flight times, but another £90 or so gets you much shorter flight times.

I see flights to MCI with EI starting at £725.

There are so many ways of getting to DUB, including low-cost airlines, that it really shouldn't be that expensive to make the connecting flights and still save a lot of money - FR is in the region of £65 return in July.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jun 27, 2016 at 6:00 am
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I don't quite understand these prices. ITA Matrix shows Y fares from DUB into ORD starting from £546 for many July dates on a 6-day stay requirement - earliest leave date is 5th July. VS is lowest, with not the best flight times, but another £90 or so gets you much shorter flight times.

I see flights to MCI with EI starting at £725.

There are so many ways of getting to DUB, including low-cost airlines, that it really shouldn't be that expensive to make the connecting flights and still save a lot of money - FR is in the region of £65 return in July.
Got it - thanks! £937, booked as two tickets - LHR-DUB-LHR, and DUB-MCI-DUB, with lengthy layovers on both ends. Don't have to fly FR, go to STN, or use my UA miles.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Got it - thanks! £937, booked as two tickets - LHR-DUB-LHR, and DUB-MCI-DUB, with lengthy layovers on both ends. Don't have to fly FR, go to STN, or use my UA miles.
If you do separate tickets leave PLENTY of time between flights - this is NOT a time to try to minimize airport layover time.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
If you do separate tickets leave PLENTY of time between flights - this is NOT a time to try to minimize airport layover time.
For £30 more I got the itinerary on one ticket.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
For £30 more I got the itinerary on one ticket.
This seems very surprising since if you are on a separate ticket you have to pay APD which far exceeds that £30 for trips to the USA. I was going to suggest departing OSL, where it's about £650 next week to MCI, and it's cheap getting to OSL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.