Heathrow 'to extend overnight curfew to 0530am'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)

Just seen on the BBC that Heathrow have offered to move the overnight curfew from 0430 to 0530 to try to get the third runway through.

An even later departure for the ex HK etc flights then.

(sorry, cant post link from where I am)
Old May 11, 2016, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Will this put a pressure on slots? Or will more be freed up at other times of the day?
Old May 11, 2016, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Presumably it would take effect from whenever the 3rd runway opens...
Old May 11, 2016, 3:47 am

Which is never

Seriously, the LHR boss is scraping the barrel a little with this one as they know the sentiment is growing for Gatwick.

Major cities can work with multiple hub airports - just look at New York.
Old May 11, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, TK Elite, Dragonpass, HH Silver
The US has multiple hub airlines in different alliances. The UK does not. LGW and LHR would only work in tandem if there was a second airline doing at LGW what UA do at EWR.
Old May 11, 2016, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Here is the report from the BBC
Old May 11, 2016, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by davehammer
The US has multiple hub airlines in different alliances. The UK does not. LGW and LHR would only work in tandem if there was a second airline doing at LGW what UA do at EWR.
UA is THE airline of EWR with over 70% of passengers. DL has 5%

That's even more dominant that BA is at LHR or Easy Jet is at LGW
Old May 11, 2016, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by London_traveller
Major cities can work with multiple hub airports - just look at New York.
How often do you connect between EWR and JFK?

It is not a pleasant experience.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Calchas
How often do you connect between EWR and JFK?

It is not a pleasant experience.
I do it on average about once a month. It's not that bad when it saves me a good chunk of money and/or time.

Most passengers flying into the area to go into/out of Manhattan can nearly as easily get to Manhattan from EWR as from JFK.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:31 am

It wasn't so much about connecting across airports, but to dispel the notion that major cities can *only* operate with a single large hub, like the oft-cited AMS with its five runways. The difference, as we know, is London attracts a massive amount of O&D or point-to-point air travel, in addition to connecting passengers. In that sense, New York is a better comparison.

Even with connections you can well see long haul destinations connecting into an enlarged LGW, e.g. OW airlines, for European connections with BA, which would today go via LHR. The launch of the CX route into LGW is a sign of that. I also think the liberation of the market would see BA increasing regional UK services into LGW to support better connections; the capacity will allow them to.

If Transport for London take another look at Crossrail 2 proposals and consider a southern extension to LGW, so there's a high speed rail service into the centre of London, I think Gatwick becomes a slam-dunk, as it were.

The Heathrow boss is grappling at straws with the curfew; it won't address the massive issue with road traffic around LHR - the thing that's causing pollution problems.

Also, much more selfishly, I live in north London and the LHR proposals would result in more aircraft routing overhead with minimum heights at 4,000ft rather than 6,000ft today. The additional noise from LHR would be a massive blight on much of London - not just those on the final approach to LHR.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:57 am

It has to be a runway at Gatwick in the short term, coupled with increase in stands and a full taxiway at LCY and a proper transport link to Stansted to help the Poor go on holiday.

Why build another runway (and terminal) on some of the most expensive brownfield land in the country, with significant engineering complexity (re-routing the M4) for a shortened runway which is closed 25% of the time and which faces massive political opposition both from residents of West London, a main user (BA) who would both refuse to pay increased landing fees to fund it and would lose out through reduction in the value of its increasingly monetised slot portfolio, as well as meddling EU environmental restrictions?

Not to mention the issue of where all the new employees this expansion would necessitate would be housed....?

Heathrow just doesn't stack up - a longer term solution which meets our needs to 2050 and beyond is needed.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by London_traveller
Even with connections you can well see long haul destinations connecting into an enlarged LGW, e.g. OW airlines, for European connections with BA, which would today go via LHR. The launch of the CX route into LGW is a sign of that. I also think the liberation of the market would see BA increasing regional UK services into LGW to support better connections; the capacity will allow them to.
There is capacity at LGW for more domestic flights, but BA does not seem to find it profitable to expand it. It recently axed LGW-MAN, whereas LHR-MAN is one of its most frequent services.

What I can see is moving say Sky Team and Star over to LGW with a second runway and improved ground transport, and moving all of BA's operations to LHR. But airlines paid a lot of money for their Heathrow slots, so they are unlikely to be willingly dispossessed of them.

I do suspect that most of the recent longhaul growth at LGW is because of slot shortages at LHR rather than the attractiveness of LGW itself.
Old May 11, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
deleted
Old May 11, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
I do suspect that most of the recent longhaul growth at LGW is because of slot shortages at LHR rather than the attractiveness of LGW itself.
I think that's part of it. However, with a second runway, third terminal (which I think is the plan?) and improved transport links, LGW becomes much more attractive in its own right.

Like all these things, success begets success, so an 'attractive' LGW will change airlines' attitude towards it. And help break the monopolistic strangle BA has on LHR, which is never good for passengers.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gatwick is in the wrong place - much like the pipe dream London estuary plans. Heathrow is better located for much of London, the South East and the rest of the country not to mention the industry clusters that chose to be close to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.