Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

LHR: How long does it typically take for Transfer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: LY Matmid/AA Advantage

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what the average/usual time-frame is for an airport/airline carrier change at LHR?

I have a 1.5 hour layover in LHR on the way to DFW - I'm just wondering if that's going to be enough time to get through security, etc. again without being in a rush.

(Inbound to LHR from TLV via LY and Outbound from LHR to DFW via AA). This is all on an AA ticket.
Old May 5, 2016, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by mripguru
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what the average/usual time-frame is for an airport/airline carrier change at LHR?

I have a 1.5 hour layover in LHR on the way to DFW - I'm just wondering if that's going to be enough time to get through security, etc. again without being in a rush.

(Inbound to LHR from TLV via LY and Outbound from LHR to DFW via AA). This is all on an AA ticket.
LY uses T4 and AA uses T3. Upon arrival, follow the purple flight connections signs. You'll take a bus from T4 to T3, reclear security, and then be in T3 for your onward flight. Time may depend on how busy security is.

MCT is 90 minutes.
http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections
Old May 5, 2016, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anywhere between 5 mins and hours depending on time of day, the terminals, the weather. Anything between terminals (like your T4 to T3) is always a bit painful as to requires a bus transfer which in this case actually goes under one of the main runways. 90mins should be OK but won't leave a huge amount of time.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: LY Matmid/AA Advantage
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Anywhere between 5 mins and hours depending on time of day, the terminals, the weather. Anything between terminals (like your T4 to T3) is always a bit painful as to requires a bus transfer which in this case actually goes under one of the main runways. 90mins should be OK but won't leave a huge amount of time.
So there's a chance that we might miss the flight if everything doesn't go off without a hitch? How much of a time margin are they leaving here?
Old May 5, 2016, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
So there's a chance that we might miss the flight if everything doesn't go off without a hitch? How much of a time margin are they leaving here?
You're protected for your onward flight if it's on one itinerary. I'd expect about 20 min to make the connection.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
You'll be fine. As long as your flight lands on time, I wouldn't worry much about missing the connection.

I've connected from T4 to T3 from walking off the plane to walking onto my connecting plane in 25 minutes before.

Just move briskly and you should be a-okay.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The MCT is not the actual time it takes passengers to transfer from terminal to terminal or gate to gate but more about how the airlines and airport coordinate their activities e.g. getting bags moved around and their arrivals / departures schedules and what they feel comfortable with plus a little leeway to allow for a delay on an incoming flight.

If the airlines didn't feel the (in your case) 90mins was sufficient then they wouldn't offer that flight combination to passengers on a single ticket.

The vast majority of people do the physical transfer in a lot less time than the published MCT and catch their flights with no issues- including being at the gate at the required 20-30 minutes before doors close.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:49 am

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Hi Guys,

90 mins is cutting it close since you have a terminal transfer, but unless there is some mishap like passport control's systems going down at the FCC in T3, you should be fine. Just hustle.

The good news is that it's one ticket, so in the worst case, they will rebook you.

--

I was panicking over a 3 hour connection from VS to BA that was not on one ticket. We made the long T3 walk, thru immigration, waited for bags, hopped on Heathrow Express to T5, checked in, through security and somehow still had about 90 mins to spare. Heathrow was pretty convenient in that regard, just have to know what you're doing. :-) I swear the "Flight Connections" path I took the first time took longer.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'll eat my shorts and post it on YouTube if you manage wheels-down on your inbound T4 to gate at T3 for your connection in 20 minutes.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DataJunkie
90 mins is cutting it close since you have a terminal transfer, but unless there is some mishap like passport control's systems going down at the FCC in T3, you should be fine. Just hustle.
90 minutes is NOT cutting it close.

If the inbound is very late then yes there could be problems but airlines have procedures in place for managing this and affected passengers.

Hundreds if not thousands of people do this transit every day of the year with no problem at all.

If airlines and HAL felt that 90 minutes was too tight then they simply wouldn't offer connections of that time length.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:02 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
90 minutes is NOT cutting it close.
Um, ok.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Um, ok.
I'll reiterate it again for you

If airlines felt 90 minutes was too short an MCT from T4 to T3 they would increase it and NOT offer connections of 90 minutes.

It is not in their interest to offer unrealistic connection times - too many unhappy passengers and possibly too much EU261 compensation to pay out.

Hundreds if not thousands of people day in day out, week in week out, month in month out, year in year out do this connection without issue.
Old May 9, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by econometrics
I've connected from T4 to T3 from walking off the plane to walking onto my connecting plane in 25 minutes before.
Same here. Done that plenty of times. There is a bus every 10 mins or so.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
At T3, don't underestimate the time to get to the gate once airside. AA uses the more distant gates in the 30-40 range and it's at least 10 minutes walk (15 if you don't walk fast) from the central shop/lounge area to the farthest gate.

This applies whether or not you are connecting, so don't cut it too fine if you are in a lounge or shop.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flatlander
At T3, don't underestimate the time to get to the gate once airside. AA uses the more distant gates in the 30-40 range and it's at least 10 minutes walk (15 if you don't walk fast) from the central shop/lounge area to the farthest gate.

This applies whether or not you are connecting, so don't cut it too fine if you are in a lounge or shop.
I forget is that the long tunnel which seems to carry on for ever? Or is that in T2?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.