Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Central Bus Terminal - parking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Have to pick somebody up there tomorrow and surprisingly I've never driven in there. Is there anywhere to stop and wait or do I just have to make sure they are there first?
Old May 4, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Have to pick somebody up there tomorrow and surprisingly I've never driven in there. Is there anywhere to stop and wait or do I just have to make sure they are there first?
There's nowhere to (legitimately) stop/wait/park at or next to the central bus station - it's basically in the middle of a roundabout, with only buses and coaches being allowed access in to the middle.

If you want to try and pick someone up, then it'd be a case of them being ready and waiting at the drop-off zone outside either terminal 2 or 3 - though of course, as the name implies, these areas are intended for dropping off not picking up, and are policed accordingly. Otherwise do what the airport would like you to do and park in the short stay car park.

Alternatively, they could get a tube or bus out of the central area, e.g. to Hatton Cross or Hounslow West, and you meet them there. Or you could park in the T2/3 long-stay car park which is free for up to two hours and either head in to meet them, or they could get the shuttle bus out to you. (The car park shuttle buses only serve the terminals, not the central bus station.)
Old May 4, 2016, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mizter T
There's nowhere to (legitimately) stop/wait/park at or next to the central bus station - it's basically in the middle of a roundabout, with only buses and coaches being allowed access in to the middle.

If you want to try and pick someone up, then it'd be a case of them being ready and waiting at the drop-off zone outside either terminal 2 or 3 - though of course, as the name implies, these areas are intended for dropping off not picking up, and are policed accordingly. Otherwise do what the airport would like you to do and park in the short stay car park.

Alternatively, they could get a tube or bus out of the central area, e.g. to Hatton Cross or Hounslow West, and you meet them there. Or you could park in the T2/3 long-stay car park which is free for up to two hours and either head in to meet them, or they could get the shuttle bus out to you. (The car park shuttle buses only serve the terminals, not the central bus station.)
Thanks - that definitely complicates my plans. Will have to think about this a bit more
Old May 4, 2016, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Mizter T
If you want to try and pick someone up, then it'd be a case of them being ready and waiting at the drop-off zone outside either terminal 2 or 3 - though of course, as the name implies, these areas are intended for dropping off not picking up, and are policed accordingly.
If you choose this option, which is probably the best, be very precise about where you will meet as there are several lanes in the drop off section, so it might be tricky for you to find your friend or vice-versa. And, whatever you do, don't leave your car even for one instant. Also, waiting for more than about a minute will cause you grief. If necessary just circle the airport (which will take about 5 minutes each pass).
Old May 4, 2016, 8:21 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's difficult these days... The first round of classic near-CTA parking spots (the Texaco on the Bath Road, for example) were clamped down on years ago. But now, with Uber in the mix as well, it's really not easy. IIRC the Tesco at Bulls Bridge isn't a bad place to wait for the CTA (it has a Costa, I think) if they can call you for a 10-minute pickup.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:44 am
Original Poster

I gave up on the parking at the airport idea and gave her explicit underground directions. Given the complications mentioned, it's a much better idea, especially as my house is very close to a station.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:14 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I gave up on the parking at the airport idea and gave her explicit underground directions. Given the complications mentioned, it's a much better idea, especially as my house is very close to a station.
This is definitely the best bet in the circumstances. The only free option - similar to parking at a Tube station but remaining with the vehicle and not paying to park - would have been to wait in one of the side streets off the Bath Road, within the Free Travel Zone, and give instructions on which bus stop to hop off at.

Obviously these are pretty much all controlled by resident parking permit, but if you stayed in the car you could simply drive off if you saw a traffic warden. The aggravation is still considerable though, particularly if you can't time your arrival fairly precisely, and certainly doesn't stack up when measured against the cost of a single tube journey.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:41 am

Perhaps surprisingly, the residential streets in the vicinity of Heathrow are by no means comprehensively covered by controlled parking zones, though I think all the really obvious streets just off Bath Road near the tunnel from the CTA are controlled now.

Both of the car parks at Hatton Cross and Hounslow West are pay-and-display rather than barrier on entry and exit, so one can just mooch in the car park without paying, albeit with an eye out for a car park warden (of which I don't think there are any on site full time). Or alternatively wait elsewhere nearby then drive to the car park when your person arrives at the station (or calls before going Underground at Heathrow).

There's a large Tesco off Fagg's Road in Feltham just south of Hatton Cross which also has a coffee place I think. However there's one awkwardness re Hatton Cross tube station car park - it can only be accessed from the eastbound A30 (Great South West Road), also worth noting it's quite a sudden turn off so I'd suggest looking at Google Streetview first.

I also found Hounslow West tube station car park a bit fiddly, in that at first glance the entry point seems to have no-entry signs - in actual these cover the station forecourt which is bus-only access, but again I'd suggest quickly checking it out on Google Streetview first.

Anyway seems like the OP has gone for the best solution!
Old May 7, 2016, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Starbucks a mile east of LHR on Bath Road has 1.5 hour parking and makes it easy to get to LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.