Search

VS to BA transfer at LHR: advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
VS to BA transfer at LHR: advice needed

Good Day All.

As an LHR novice I would be appreciative of any advice and information those more experienced could provide.

We are on VS J JFK - LHR (6:45am Arrival T3) departing BA Y LHR - JTR (10:10am T5). I'm somewhat confident VS will ticket the bags through as they have done in the past as a J passenger.

Given we have a three hour layover we would like to use the VS arrivals lounge to freshen up. I'm assuming we will have time, but unsure due to my unfamiliarity with the LHR connection/immigration methods.

Could someone take a few minutes and provide their thoughts as to our use of the arrivals lounge and then most efficient method of transferring T3 to T5. We are trying to gauge the amount of time we will have in the lounge and allocate for transfer. I believe we will have Fast Track on arrivals in T3, but not sure if we will need to que again making the transfer to T5 airside. Any assistance and clarity would be most appreciative.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Last edited by CoHiba Gent; Apr 22, 2016 at 10:27 am
Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this question has nothing to do with AA at all, I've split it out of the AA thread you'd posted it in and moved it to its own thread in the UK and Ireland forum. Good luck with your travels.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
The VS arrivals lounge is landside, so that means going through immigration and baggage reclaim anyway. I suspect you should work on the basis you will have to collect your bags.

Three hours will be sufficient for a quick freshen up in the VS lounge but I must admit I found service painfully slow/absent.

Allow 1 hr to get off the plane and through immigration at LHR. You will have to leave the lounge about 75 minutes before departure to give yourself sufficient time. The train from T3 to T5 (free) only runs every 15 mins, it's about a 5 minute walk at either end and BA strictly enforces a 35 minute conformance check to get through the boarding pass check before security in T5.

In the event VS do offer to check your bags through you could stay airside but then would have no lounge access (unless you have OneWorld status).
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VS do not through check bags if on separate tickets (even in J with a VS Gold card). In fact they invented the restriction and BA followed them... If you have been lucky in the past I would not assume they will do the same this time around. I had problems at LHR even when flights were ticketed together.

BA check in cut off is 45mins before departure - make that an hour as T5 queues are getting worse. You need to leave the arrivals lounge 45mins before that (worse case) which eill probably leave you just 15-20mins after clearing immigration and collecting your bags.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
The VS arrivals lounge is landside, so that means going through immigration and baggage reclaim anyway. I suspect you should work on the basis you will have to collect your bags.

Three hours will be sufficient for a quick freshen up in the VS lounge but I must admit I found service painfully slow/absent.

Allow 1 hr to get off the plane and through immigration at LHR. You will have to leave the lounge about 75 minutes before departure to give yourself sufficient time. The train from T3 to T5 (free) only runs every 15 mins, it's about a 5 minute walk at either end and BA strictly enforces a 35 minute conformance check to get through the boarding pass check before security in T5.

In the event VS do offer to check your bags through you could stay airside but then would have no lounge access (unless you have OneWorld status).
Thank you for the detailed information. This is what I was looking for!

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
VS do not through check bags if on separate tickets (even in J with a VS Gold card). In fact they invented the restriction and BA followed them... If you have been lucky in the past I would not assume they will do the same this time around. I had problems at LHR even when flights were ticketed together.

BA check in cut off is 45mins before departure - make that an hour as T5 queues are getting worse. You need to leave the arrivals lounge 45mins before that (worse case) which eill probably leave you just 15-20mins after clearing immigration and collecting your bags.
Thank you as well it sounds like we will have at most 30 minutes in the arrivals lounge before needing to collect luggage (possibly) and shuttle over to T5 to check in and clear security.

There should be an airport forum hosting information for the larger and more complex airports. Every airline forum seems to host various threads on the same airport but would almost make more sense if it were the other way around.

Last edited by CoHiba Gent; Apr 22, 2016 at 12:41 pm
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by CoHiba Gent

Thank you as well it sounds like we will have at most 30 minutes in the arrivals lounge before needing to collect luggage (possibly) and shuttle over to T5 to check in and clear security.
You misunderstand. You MUST collect your bags and clear customs before you go to the VS Revivals Lounge where you will have getting on for an hour.

It is not a simple or quick process to be allowed back into the baggage hall once you have left it.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Apr 22, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Thank you for the detailed information. This is what I was looking for!

There should be an airport forum hosting information for the larger and more complex airports. Every airline forum seems to host various threads on the same airport but would almost make more sense if it were the other way around.
Note you will collect bags before going to the arrivals lounge. Transatlantic flights do often land early and assuming you have a non-Eu passport then VS should give you a pass for fast track immigration at LHR so probably time for a shower and a coffee but don't miss those cut offs at T5 - there's no debate.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
If you have a lot of luggage the porter service offers good value.
Old May 5, 2016, 9:14 am

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre
Good Day All.

As an LHR novice I would be appreciative of any advice and information those more experienced could provide.

We are on VS J JFK - LHR (6:45am Arrival T3) departing BA Y LHR - JTR (10:10am T5). I'm somewhat confident VS will ticket the bags through as they have done in the past as a J passenger.

Given we have a three hour layover we would like to use the VS arrivals lounge to freshen up. I'm assuming we will have time, but unsure due to my unfamiliarity with the LHR connection/immigration methods.

Could someone take a few minutes and provide their thoughts as to our use of the arrivals lounge and then most efficient method of transferring T3 to T5. We are trying to gauge the amount of time we will have in the lounge and allocate for transfer. I believe we will have Fast Track on arrivals in T3, but not sure if we will need to que again making the transfer to T5 airside. Any assistance and clarity would be most appreciative.

Many thanks,

Andrew
I just did this "connection" and I was panicking that 3 hours wouldn't be enough. We were at the T5 departures lounge in 90 minutes.

VS will not tag bags through to BA. The checkin agent was very nice, and I tried to plead with him. For a while, they would because they ended Little Red. But now that they have an agreement with Delta, that is one of the few ways to check thru.

We made it thru immigration in about 10 mins, after about a 20 minute walk. VS 8 (LAX) lands at a quiet time, so it depends on arrival time. Then, about 30 mins to get our bags and walk through the Customs door.

The Revivals lounge is in the Arrivals area after Customs.

The quickest way to T5 is via Heathrow Express, which is FREE. After walking through the Arrivals doors past customs, follow the signs to Heathrow Express. This was about another 10 minute walk. When you arrive at T5, take the elevator to the top level: Departures. Check in and security went quickly for us at T5.
Old May 6, 2016, 6:40 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
The quickest way to T5 is via Heathrow Express, which is FREE. After walking through the Arrivals doors past customs, follow the signs to Heathrow Express. This was about another 10 minute walk. When you arrive at T5, take the elevator to the top level: Departures. Check in and security went quickly for us at T5.
The quickest way is sometimes by Tube - inter-terminal transfers are also free on that provided you touch-in & out with either an Oyster card or a contactless credit/debit card. It's a three minute journey every 10 minutes.

The walk to the tube is longer, so it would only be worth it if you realise you'll just miss a Heathrow Express train - on which you can rely on the timetable on most occasions for the T2/3 to T5 connection.

The key to saving time here is to heed DataJunkie's advice about taking the elevators (lifts) to Departures - they are several minutes quicker than the escalators.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.