Something to do in or near London

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue

One of my best friends will be coming to the UK soon and I've got two of three days sorted for things to do. We'll be visiting Windsor Castle and the British Museum.

That leaves a third day where I haven't been able arrange/plan anything for sightseeing. Ironically I live in the London area and have lived here all my life but never really go into Central London for sightseeing on my own.

When she was over before a couple of years ago, we did all the usual sightseeing (London Eye, Madame Tussaud's, Hyde Park, Westminster, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Picadilly Circus, Chinatown/Soho, Baker Street and few other places - all over one weekend).

Where would you visit for a few hours in London or outside of London (up to about a 2-3 hour drive out of London) that's interesting for a visitor to the UK, and would use up 2-4 hours including a lunch or dinner break? We don't want to visit art galleries, by the way.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by rumbataz

Where would you visit for a few hours in London or outside of London (up to about a 2-3 hour drive out of London) that's interesting for a visitor to the UK, and would use up 2-4 hours including a lunch or dinner break? We don't want to visit art galleries, by the way.
Given that she has already done most of the major sights in London, it would be worth getting out of the city for the day.
Stratford-upon-Avon is a nice easy drive up the M40 (or Chiltern Railways from Marylebone). It's a very pretty town, and not all about galleries and museums. The walk along the riverside is very pretty, and peaceful if you choose a weekday.
It all depends on what you and your friend are into.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Oxford or Cambridge? Look around some colleges, wander through parks, have a nice lunch or afternoon tea, maybe visit one of the more unique museums (eg the Pitt Rivers in Oxford), even go for a punt on the river if the weather's nice!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Visit viewing gallery in Parliament. Both House of Commons and House of Lords. Its unique and free. Don't be hoodwinked by staff into buying tour tickets.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Canterbury, Oxford, Bath, Cambridge, Stratford and Brighton are all obvious candidates. Or does she have a some specific interests that you could chase down?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
No specific interests. I agree, though, that going out of London might be a good option. Maybe a day trip further afield, possibly going on the train.

I think just seeing Central London is not really giving a tourist a true reflection of the United Kingdom.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Oxford or Cambridge? Look around some colleges, wander through parks, have a nice lunch or afternoon tea, maybe visit one of the more unique museums (eg the Pitt Rivers in Oxford), even go for a punt on the river if the weather's nice!
Afternoon tea in Oxford or Cambridge sounds lovely! Both towns are reachable from where I live within an hour or two by car. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Although still London how about a visit to Greenwich - there's the park, the observatory, national maritime museum and the cutty sark.

Day trip to Brighton could also be fun or Southend for all the fun of the seaside. You can't get more English than fish and chips on the pier. Plus you can get to them quickly on the train with no worries about finding a parking space
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Afternoon tea in Oxford or Cambridge sounds lovely! Both towns are reachable from where I live within an hour or two by car. Thanks for the suggestion.
I assume you realise that that's an hour by car to the edge of the city, then the second hour trying to drive your car into a city centre that was built-pre car and now hates them, before paying a vast vast sum of money to try to park, assuming you can find space?

Both cities have Park and Rides setup, if the train's not a good option, make sure you do Park and Ride! You don't want to try bringing a car into either city centre to try to park
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any recommendations for afternoon tea in Cambridge?

Is there any difference between high tea and afternoon tea?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Analise

The answer lies, perhaps unsurprisingly, in the famous British class system.
"Afternoon tea" is served in the mid-afternoon when dining late, and is designed to bridge the long gap between lunch and a late dinner. It is often a highly elaborate and gentrified affair, involving cakes, sandwiches and scones, and of course, tea. The tea itself is taken very seriously - often to the level where several blends of tea are offered - and is served in the very best china.
"High tea" was originally an alternative term for "dinner", used by workers, whose hours did not permit lounging around and quaffing Darjeeling or orange pekoe for half the afternoon. They had their "tea" after work, in the evening. The word "high" referred to the higher dinner table, at which the meal was taken.

Check out www.afternoontea.co.uk for suggestions on venues.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Analise
Any recommendations for afternoon tea in Cambridge?

Harriets is pretty good.

Also visit Fitzbillies either for the afternoon tea or something more substantial (high tea style), or if you have tea elsewhere, some Chelsea Buns to take away.

Fitzbillies is almost opposite the Fitzwilliam Museum, which has a wide variety of things (and a cafe that you can eat cake and small meals in). It's easy to visit briefly if you wish. North from there a few minutes' walk past a couple of colleges (Cats, Kings, etc) is the market square. On Sundays it's mostly street foods and arts-and-crafts, on other days it's general stuff still with foodstuffs.

Cambridge is nicer to walk around the centre than Oxford (let battle commence!!)

Punting on the Cam at this time of year can be quite bracing, when it's warmer it's very pleasant. You can be chauffeured if you don't feel up to punting, but at a basic level it's not very hard (proficiency and efficiency don't come easy though).

Trains every 30 mins from London Kings Cross, takes 55mins on the non-stop. Then either bus, walk (20-30 mins) or taxi to the centre from Cambridge.

The Good Pub Guide results for Cambridge are fairly reliable. Especially if they are American or Canadian, take them into the back room at the Eagle and tell them to look up.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:53 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
One recommendation in Cambridge, if the weather is good, is the Grantchester Orchard tea rooms. It's a little put of the city, though accessible by punt and by bike. Definitely one for good weather.

FWIW, I drive to Cambridge frequently. There's quite a lot of free or cheap parking in the Barton Road area (which also avoids the congestion, a pleasant 15-minute walk across Coe Fen. If you time it right, it's not too hard to find a space along the backs.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I assume you realise that that's an hour by car to the edge of the city, then the second hour trying to drive your car into a city centre that was built-pre car and now hates them, before paying a vast vast sum of money to try to park, assuming you can find space?

Both cities have Park and Rides setup, if the train's not a good option, make sure you do Park and Ride! You don't want to try bringing a car into either city centre to try to park
Surprisingly in Cambridge the central car parks are not full during weekdays. On weekends, fuggeddaboudit. They will cost you, however: £25 for more than 5 hours in the day plus the evening charge if you stay later. The park and rides are significantly cheaper.

Just take the train from London, it's much easier.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 4:07 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Agree that the train is by far the easiest way of getting there - however, I don't know where the OP is starting from - it implies that it may be outer London, in which case train may not be so convenient, depending on location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.