Search

American Express & Discover Card Acceptance Rate in UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, BA, UA, SPG,
American Express & Discover Card Acceptance Rate in UK

Hi all

I am flying to UK next week. Just want to know if UK takes AMEX or Discover card and their acceptance rate there. I have read in other threads that many stores now take AMEX but how about Discover card. My only two cards with no foreign transaction fee are AMEX and Discover. I've also heard sometimes you have to enter a PIN while making a transaction. But since it is a credit card not a debit card there is not a PIN for it. Can you share your experiences please thanks in advance.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:50 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Most major (chain) stores will accept AmEx these days. Because of the extra charges levied compared to Visa and MasterCard, the vast, vast majority of smaller outlets will not - which may well include pubs. If you're in London, the Underground and Transport for London buses will be fine, and outside that all train operators as well.

Whilst it's not something I've ever looked out for, my inclination is that Discover will not be recognised as widely - I certainly can't recall routinely seeing it on the stickers on shop doors, although don't take this as gospel!

All UK cards now incorporate Chip & Pin, whether credit or debit, and it's a much more secure and convenient way to pay. Contactless is being used more regularly as well if your cards have that feature. If not, you'll just be asked to sign - obviously every store still has the ability to produce a paper slip to sign.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As noted Amex is patchy. Big stores and companies are generally fine. Some smaller places do accept it but many don't.

Never heard of Discover (and work in retail so probably have a higher awareness of this sort of thing than most). Unless it uses Visa or MasterCard you will have no luck at all.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Most major (chain) stores will accept AmEx these days. Because of the extra charges levied compared to Visa and MasterCard, the vast, vast majority of smaller outlets will not - which may well include pubs. If you're in London, the Underground and Transport for London buses will be fine, and outside that all train operators as well.

Whilst it's not something I've ever looked out for, my inclination is that Discover will not be recognised as widely - I certainly can't recall routinely seeing it on the stickers on shop doors, although don't take this as gospel!

All UK cards now incorporate Chip & Pin, whether credit or debit, and it's a much more secure and convenient way to pay. Contactless is being used more regularly as well if your cards have that feature. If not, you'll just be asked to sign - obviously every store still has the ability to produce a paper slip to sign.

Thanks. Good to hear that underground/tube/trains take AMEX. I hope most shopping center/outlet/supermarket/restaurant will take my AMEX as well.@:-)
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
As noted Amex is patchy. Big stores and companies are generally fine. Some smaller places do accept it but many don't.

Never heard of Discover (and work in retail so probably have a higher awareness of this sort of thing than most). Unless it uses Visa or MasterCard you will have no luck at all.
Have you heard Diner's club? Discover buy Diner's club...
Old Jan 26, 2016, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I use Amex for near 100% of my purchases. The last time I (honestly) used my bank Visa card was about six months ago. Discover has pretty much no coverage in the UK at all, as far as I'm aware.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by sonymdplayer
Have you heard Diner's club? Discover buy Diner's club...
Discover cards are accepted in the UK at places that take Diners Club cards, but Diners Club is a pretty niche card in the UK so I'd take a guess that most places which accept DC are the same kind of places that'd also take Amex.

Discover card acceptance outside the US

Re Amex acceptance in the UK, this question often seems to get quite different responses from different people. I'd surmise this perhaps reflects the shopping and spending patterns of those responding. Whether fair or not, Amex in the UK is generally seen as an upmarket thing and so the likelihood of retailer acceptance is seen in that context.

Or, to cut a long answer short, don't count on Amex being accepted!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:51 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sonymdplayer
I hope most shopping center/outlet/supermarket/restaurant will take my AMEX as well.@:-)
I wouldn't rely on all restaurants taking it, unless you want to restrict yourself to McDonalds (please don't!). Most establishments will have a sticker on the door indicating which cards they accept, so if it's important you'll have a good chance of making an informed choice before you enter.

You may even find some larger stores no longer accept AmEx - their card services agreements have become increasingly uncompetitive in recent years, so more-and-more retailers are dropping them.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:43 am
formerly known as ravishah

I think it also depends on the location - in London at a broad brush most places take Amex as I suspect their are more people with Amex e.g. tourists - except smaller outlets - although most of my local shops do take it even the local corner shop in my village and the local chippy.

With Diners Club - I doubt many people will take it all outside of the largest shops/hotels so i would not rely on it at all.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:47 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I think Diners is MasterCard, at least in the UK, these days.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Being based in London with Amex as my primary card and MC as my backup, I do about 35 transactions per month on Amex and 3 on MC.

The OP should be aware that, without a Chip and PIN, no card will work in machines (parking, tube tickets etc. ) and contactless is needed to replicate an Oyster Card.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Being based in London with Amex as my primary card and MC as my backup, I do about 35 transactions per month on Amex and 3 on MC.

The OP should be aware that, without a Chip and PIN, no card will work in machines (parking, tube tickets etc. ) and contactless is needed to replicate an Oyster Card.
I was able to use my pin-less (chip and sig) Amex to buy tube tickets, train tickets, and get a Boris Bike at the automated machines. It just didn't ask for a pin. Which is slightly concerning, but it worked.

I had a handful of restaurants in London that wouldn't take Amex, but at least 90% of my charges were on it. I'd assume outside big cities it might be accepted less, but I stick with cities.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
This website will help you (you can check in advance if somewhere takes Amex):

http://www.whoacceptsamex.co.uk/

Amex is more widely accepted than it used to be, I think largely due to the number of companies who issue corporate Amex cards to their staff. Larger business, especially hotels and restaurants don't want to lose out on the corporate "expenses" market.

As for Discover / Diners, forget it! Diners died a death in the UK last century. I had a corporate Diners many years ago but the scheme was abandoned as it was so restrictive as hardly anywhere accepted it!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by stut
I think Diners is MasterCard, at least in the UK, these days.
Mine is very much Diners with a Discover (and Pulse) logo on the back.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 4:06 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Wow, je suis debout corrigé.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.