Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stansted or Gatwick to AMS on EasyJet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by flatlander
I have to almost completely disagree, and I go there at least twice a month.

Security: slow, always. 15 minute queue is the norm, not the exception. LHR T5 is almost always better. Really? The last two times I flew through (in the last 3 months) I have been from bus stop to airside in less than 15 minutes. I was very impressed, even at 5am with a million first time flyers.
Airside progress: slow, always, due to enforced maze of retail, and a long walk or a train to gates.No different to LGW South, and most airports require a long walk (I think LTN is better in this regard)
Seating: rarely enough, and never enough outside the winter doldrums. this is true
Gates announced only 40 mins before, never earlier, even if the aircraft is on stand overnight. This I agree with. Still, not most airlines have assigned seating, so it's not like the old days where you have to line up early to get a good seat
Crowding: between crowded and very crowded every time. YMMV. The last I passed through it wasn't too bad
Car Parking: expensive AND incompetently managed Never used a car there, and don't think the OP will
Public transport: Only from London via train, everything else is crap. I only use the bus, and think the services are fine (given its out of town location)
Car drop-off: you want HOW much to drive up so a passenger can jump out?

The only parts MAG haven't comprehensively screwed up is baggage handling (still good, done by others than MAG) and arrivals (UK Border has the new e-gates).
There are more places to eat than there used to be - if you can get a seat in any of them.

It's a horrible place now, I hate it.It's better than it was, but of course, it's still a no-frills airport
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:57 am
KKD

Programs: Marriott
Hi FTers,
For traveling on BA to AMS, I find 3 options to fly from: LHR, LCY and LGW.
For a 1st timer, which airport will you recommend?
I am staying on the bankside in London.
Many thanks
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LCY, followed by LCY and then LCY.

small, efficient, less disrupted that either LHR or LGW. The only time it’s a bit painful is a mid-winter fog day. Easy hop on the Jubilee and DLR from Bankside.
dnajockey likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:47 pm

Train beats all of the airport options. Thameslink from Blackfriars to St. Pancras, then Eurostar to Centraal. You can be in Amsterdam downtown within 4h30 from leaving London if you time it right.
DaveS and Professor Yaffle like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 13901
Train beats all of the airport options. Thameslink from Blackfriars to St. Pancras, then Eurostar to Centraal. You can be in Amsterdam downtown within 4h30 from leaving London if you time it right.
Also an excellent option 👍
13901 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Even driving beats flying at the moment (Dover-Calais ferry/Eurotunnel or via Harwich-Hook of Holland).
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:11 am
KKD

Thank you all, for your great inputs!!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:07 pm
KKD

I am really intrigued by the option for traveling from St Pancras to Amsterdam Central via Eurostar. While I have no experience getting on the Eurostar, do you think it worths to pay like 200 pounds one way, or better off to be getting on flight by paying 100 pounds?
ALso, I had some bad experience in a Paris train station before = got pickpocketed. May I look for your opinions on the general security for the London and Amsterdam stations?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I have done the Eurostar many times, and given the choice will take that over a plane. Easy, comfortable and more room to stretch out than a plane. London to Amsterdam is 4 hours "central" London (depends of course where you are in London) to central Amsterdam. Getting out to the airport in London, having to be there an hour before to clear security et al, the flight and then heading from Schiphol to your accommodation can take as long. And with the way that the airports in London and Amsterdam are now, the train might be safer.

I wouldn't worry about safety in either St. Pancras or Amsterdam Centraal. Paris Gare du Nord is dodgy, but St. Pancras and Amsterdam I've been to many times and never felt it was a bad area. Of course, pick-pocketing can happen anywhere, so no guarantees.

As a caveat, I have taken the train from London to Amsterdam, but it was back before Eurostar ran straight through, and I changed in Belgium. So I've not done the Amsterdam run as it exists today, but I think it can only be easier with a direct train rather than having to change.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by KKD
I am really intrigued by the option for traveling from St Pancras to Amsterdam Central via Eurostar. While I have no experience getting on the Eurostar, do you think it worths to pay like 200 pounds one way, or better off to be getting on flight by paying 100 pounds?
ALso, I had some bad experience in a Paris train station before = got pickpocketed. May I look for your opinions on the general security for the London and Amsterdam stations?
Both St Pancras and Centraal are generally considered more pleasant/less 'dodgy' stations than Gare du Nord, though as with any major tourist area there can be petty criminals. It's easy enough not to get pickpocketed wherever you are though, just have your wits about you.

If the price were equal, I'd definitely take the train over plane to Amsterdam these days, but not sure I'd pay £100 more unless that was for Standard Premier. Do be aware also that there can be significant queues for check-in for Eurostar at St Pancras too, depending on time of day.
Markie likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:30 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Both St Pancras and Centraal are generally considered more pleasant/less 'dodgy' stations than Gare du Nord, though as with any major tourist area there can be petty criminals. It's easy enough not to get pickpocketed wherever you are though, just have your wits about you.

If the price were equal, I'd definitely take the train over plane to Amsterdam these days, but not sure I'd pay £100 more unless that was for Standard Premier. Do be aware also that there can be significant queues for check-in for Eurostar at St Pancras too, depending on time of day.
And that they restrict check-in to a specific time in advance of the train. You cannot arrive, say 4 hours early and get through.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:49 am
KKD

Thanks for all the wonderful inputs for a 1st-timer to Eurostar.
Sorry one more question - is the luggage space widely available on the train ? I will have 2 big luggage and worry if I need to 'fight' for a space on board.
I had a bad experience of traveling intra-Europe and the luggage space is not sufficient for everyone >_<
Thanks much!
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Markie
And that they restrict check-in to a specific time in advance of the train. You cannot arrive, say 4 hours early and get through.
On Saturday is was 90 minutes before boarding that they let you start queueing up for checkin + security + immigration. There were separate queues for the two trains open at that point, feeding to two halves of the checkin area. Once the earlier train was done all the gates went for train 2 briefly, and then when most were through they started feeding people for train 3. There were announcements that anyone who'd checked in 30 minutes before would make the train no matter what, and our train left a couple of mins late as they waited for a few people to escape the queues.

(We got there 75 minutes before our train, and managed 20 mins in the lounge before boarding. Sadly they were enforcing the "Amex Plat gets you lounge but not priority checkin" rule)
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by KKD
Thanks for all the wonderful inputs for a 1st-timer to Eurostar.
Sorry one more question - is the luggage space widely available on the train ? I will have 2 big luggage and worry if I need to 'fight' for a space on board.
I had a bad experience of traveling intra-Europe and the luggage space is not sufficient for everyone >_<
Thanks much!
There is a decent amount of luggage space on Eurostar - there are racks for large bags in each carriage as well as open overhead racks which will take smaller bags. If you board late you might have to jostle a bit for space but it shouldn’t be much of a problem. Just make sure to keep any valuables within sight near you.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:28 pm
KKD

Thanks for the info! If luggage space is not that bad, I guess it can be more preferred to getting on a flight, given the flight cancellations these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.