Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

VAT refunds from unusual retailers?

Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond

I'm more then familiar with getting VAT refunds from regular high street shops, but I seem to be encountering a little difficulty with figuring out refunds from the more unusual retailers, such as builders merchants.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/taxfree-shopping

The above link says a VAT 407 form from a retailer will enable me to apply for the refund, but none of the retailers I've spoken to have ever heard of one (not surprisingly). Is that something I can download and just fill out myself? -or does it need some kind of stamp etc from the retailer? -I guess at the very least I'll need their VAT number.

I'm buying quite odd things, such as hot water cylinders, kitchen units, tiles, and maybe some appliances, loading them into a van, and driving them to the channel islands, so its unsurprising that many of the retailers haven't heard of the VAT forms before.

Any one have a better handle on this?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by aceman
Is that something I can download and just fill out myself? -or does it need some kind of stamp etc from the retailer?
VAT 407 is only available to the retailer, they have to order them from the VAT office so if they don't have any behind the counter I think you're out of luck.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Are these exports for personal use? Or for business use?

Even if you are self employed / trading for yourself, sounds like we might be in the business area. If so, this really is moving more into trade supply discussion.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by beergut
VAT 407 is only available to the retailer, they have to order them from the VAT office ...
... and they need to supply their VAT registration number when they do. It's not something you can fake, even if you're willing to con Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. After a retailer orders them, I suspect they normally come by post, so allow another couple of days to get them in the mail and for them to arrive.

That said, if you're buying enough stuff and give them some notice, a merchant ought to be willing to lay in a supply. The forms don't cost anything.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:51 am

The VAT Retail Export Scheme is voluntary for retailers - they do not have to offer it.

As you note yourself, you find it is widespread in many high street shops which have a tourist trade, but few tourists will go to builder's merchants who might not consider the extra administration worth the small amount of business it may generate.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by David-A
Are these exports for personal use? Or for business use?

Even if you are self employed / trading for yourself, sounds like we might be in the business area. If so, this really is moving more into trade supply discussion.
Thanks,

All for personal use, I'm refurbishing my place, and finding large price discrepancies between prices. They become larger with vat taken off too. Eh copper cylinder, local price £600, uk price inc vat, £320. Given I'll be taking potentially large quantities (value wise at least) of stuff I'm quite keen to try getting the most back.

A few retailers will ship there but it's almost preferable if they don't due to shipping costs, and let me organise it myself.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I think it's a matter of finding a store that's willing to do a bit of extra paperwork in exchange for your business, and of then giving them a week or two to get everything organized (or, as you would have it, organised).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.