Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

What's the best hotel option at LHR?

Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:01 am
Original Poster

I will be overnighting at Heathrow next month before returning to LAX the next morning. What's the best hotel option for someone flying UA--on-site (Sofitel or Hilton) or off-site?
I did a search for this topic and was surprised not to be able to find an existing thread.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
This will get moved out of the UA forum, but before it does:

There's a Hilton near T5, but that's nowhere near where UA departs. All of the other hotels are along Bath road on the north side of the airport where the access tunnel goes under the runways to T1/T2/T3 (United operates from T2). Many are within the free bus zone where you can catch any London bus within the zone without paying a fare. Closest is likely the LHR Renaissance, which is a huge hotel with tiny rooms. Many others along the road there--google maps is your friend to find the chain of your choice.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:11 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Madone59
Please continue the discussion there.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
UA forum co-Moderator
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXGUY
... What's the best hotel option for someone flying UA--on-site (Sofitel or Hilton) or off-site?.
What is your defintion and critera for best?
Will be different to mine
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What is your defintion and critera for best?
Will be different to mine
For me "best" in this case is a combination of convenience and value, assuming one has to catch a United flight in the morning.

I asked the question because it's not clear to me that either of the in-terminal hotels (Hilton in T5 and Sofitel in T4) is convenient to T2 (United). At most airports I like to stay in-terminal for convenience but Heathrow's layout may make an off-site property a better choice. LHR is the rare airport where--from T2--an off-site hotel may be quicker to get to than the on-site hotels in other terminals.

Of course, even if the in-terminal choice is the most convenient, I'm not necessarily willing to pay double or triple the rate at an off-site property, but I' can make that judgment after determining which is most convenient.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
The T5 Sofitel is not convenient. T4 (Hilton and Yotel) is connected to T2/T3 by the Heathrow Connect. Have a look here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...lhr-t-2-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...departure.html
Old Aug 22, 2015, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The T5 Sofitel is not convenient. T4 (Hilton and Yotel) is connected to T2/T3 by the Heathrow Connect. Have a look here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...lhr-t-2-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...departure.html
But Terminal 5 (for the Sofitel) is connected to Terminal 2 by the Heathrow Express (which is free for inter-terminal travel, as is the trip from Terminal 4 to Terminal 2 by the Heathrow Connnect/Express), so I think the Sofitel and the Hilton are equally convenient for Terminal 2. The Yotel (inside Terminal 4, rather than attached to the terminal, as the other two hotels are) is much the least expensive of these three, obviously, but of course you're in what is more or less a capsule rather than a room, which might be fine.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I previously stayed at Hilton Terminal 4, which I thought was good. I accidentally made a reservation at the Hilton Terminal 5, and it was a most fortuitous mistake. They have the absolutely best Indian restaurant at which I have ever eaten at the Terminal 5 Hilton. It is called Mr. Todiwala's. If you decide to stay there, make sure you reserve your dining spot in advance.

The day before I ate there, I ate at a Michelin-starred Indian restaurant in London. Mr. T was far superior at a far better price.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd echo the praise for Mr Todiwala's but the Hilton T5 is very inconvenient for the OP. I would pick the Hilton T4 or Sofitel as they are both connected by train which does not suffer the reliability or capacity issues of the Hoppa. The local buses from the Bath Road generally work well but need some research and can involve a fair amount of hiking around.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
I previously stayed at Hilton Terminal 4, which I thought was good. I accidentally made a reservation at the Hilton Terminal 5, and it was a most fortuitous mistake. They have the absolutely best Indian restaurant at which I have ever eaten at the Terminal 5 Hilton. It is called Mr. Todiwala's. If you decide to stay there, make sure you reserve your dining spot in advance.

The day before I ate there, I ate at a Michelin-starred Indian restaurant in London. Mr. T was far superior at a far better price.
That's because Mr Todiwala's isn't just any hotel restaurant. It's Cyrus Todiwala's first outspost in west London. If you're not familiar with him, he's the owner of Cafe Spice Namaste, an award winning restaurant in east London (E1). When he opened, it was pretty groundbreaking and very much at the forefront of modern Indian food and it was one of "the" places to go. Still worth a trip if you're in the City/Tower Bridge area.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I'd echo the praise for Mr Todiwala's but the Hilton T5 is very inconvenient for the OP.
Yes, I experienced that inconvenience, but would readily suffer it again to have another pre-departure dinner at Mr. T's.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Try the LHR Marriott or LHR Ren on Bath Rd. The latter has been recently renovated. Both have their ExecLounges open 7 days. The Marriott has a decent pool and steam room. What I usually do for an early flight the next day is grab one of the free buses leaving the airport to the hotel and sometimes take the Hoppa back the next morning, since it will stop at the terminals rather than the central bus station. Here's a good map with the stops.
LHR Bus Routes & Hotels

The Marriot thread here has a few discussions on both hotels. You can try here for a start:
Marriott-Family Hotels London

And here is the LHR-specific thread:
Marriott-Family LHR

Last edited by AATrout; Sep 3, 2015 at 10:40 am
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
For what it's worth, I'd go for the Sofitel and then the HEX to T2 or a taxi. Depending on which UA flight you are on, you shouldn't be too rushed.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Do not attempt to get a black taxi between terminals at LHR. The driver will be exceptionally unamused.

If you are dead set against using the Heathrow Express or Underground, which are free (in the latter case you need an Oyster card, contactless credit or debit card, or Apple Pay, which won't be charged), get your hotel reception to order up a minicab, or use Über.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.