Entering UK with a EU National Identity Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entering UK with a EU National Identity Card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by :D!

Back directly on topic, for the first time yesterday I noticed that LHR immigration officers were asking all non-UK citizens using the EEA line where they were coming from. Though they could have used the e-gate if they had a biometric passport and not get asked. The information was not recorded, obviously, but I do not see how it is relevant.
Over the past year or so, I have not infrequently been asked on arrival at Heathrow where I have travelled from. (I am a British citizen and enter the UK on a British citizen passport.) I always simply answer the question, since I've got nothing to hide and I don't want to delay myself or the people beind me, but it has always struck me as odd.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Christopher
Over the past year or so, I have not infrequently been asked on arrival at Heathrow where I have travelled from. (I am a British citizen and enter the UK on a British citizen passport.) I always simply answer the question, since I've got nothing to hide and I don't want to delay myself or the people beind me, but it has always struck me as odd.
I have always assumed that this is done so that the UKBA agents can inform themselves if a certain flight has arrived. I have never thought that this question has had anything to do with me personally. After all, it's not like they don't have a finite list of possibilities of where you can be coming from and it's usually not too many at any given point in the day.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:00 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by ajax
I have always assumed that this is done so that the UKBA agents can inform themselves if a certain flight has arrived. I have never thought that this question has had anything to do with me personally. After all, it's not like they don't have a finite list of possibilities of where you can be coming from and it's usually not too many at any given point in the day.
This may be one of the reasons in general, but what I observed specifically was passengers from the same flight, travelling in a large group, all presenting what appeared to me to be an EEA document from the country of origin of the flight, all being asked their point of origin and obviously all answering with the same city. Perhaps the officer was just bored.

Before I obtained British citizenship I was frequently asked where I flew from (despite the answer being written on my landing card). I always answered with the place whose immigration controls I had previously exited, rather than with any of my transit points. I would do the same if asked today, which would occasionally defeat the purpose of knowing whether a flight's passengers had arrived at immigration (I am usually one of the first to arrive there).
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:17 am

Yes, this has occurred to me, and on one occasion it was certainly true, because the passport control person responded along the lines of "Goodness, it's that time already!"
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once I replied with "Rochester" which got a confused look.

I clarified, "Rochester, New York", which didn't help matters. He let me in without any further words.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Christopher
I am with you on that. I always think they ask just to know what flights are coming in and whether to take a break as it might get busy for them !
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:13 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Calchas
Once I replied with "Rochester" which got a confused look.
Well, many people do think of Medway as a foreign country

Personally, if I'm on a connecting flight in a third country, I'll say something like "Hyderabad via Doha". Don't know what they're looking for, and no point slowing things for everybody else...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
Well, many people do think of Medway as a foreign country

Personally, if I'm on a connecting flight in a third country, I'll say something like "Hyderabad via Doha". Don't know what they're looking for, and no point slowing things for everybody else...
Some people don't think of Medway at all!
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
I try not to think of it.
I've been offered jobs in "Kent", but when it turns out that it's in Medway it's the equivalent of finding yourself on a Ryanair flight.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:15 am

There's the rather sorry tale of Rochester managing to lose its official city status during a local government reorganisation in the late 90's...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For some reasons it reminds me of "Staines-upon-Thames". I wonder if Slough is waiting in the wings.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
For some reasons it reminds me of "Staines-upon-Thames". I wonder if Slough is waiting in the wings.
No,Slough is an awful place,I know,I live there,should be called 'Slough upon Dump'
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
I am a US native, with dual US/Swedish citizenship. We've been able to use our chipped Swedish National ID cards for travel to the UK since July, but upon arrival (at LHR T2, anyway) using the card limits one to using the line for non-biometric EU passports. The entry line for biometric passports has been considerably shorter and faster, so I'll be bringing that one with me from now on.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Daner
I am a US native, with dual US/Swedish citizenship. We've been able to use our chipped Swedish National ID cards for travel to the UK since July, but upon arrival (at LHR T2, anyway) using the card limits one to using the line for non-biometric EU passports. The entry line for biometric passports has been considerably shorter and faster, so I'll be bringing that one with me from now on.
Just to say that EU/EEA citizens being able to use their national ID card (if they have one) to enter the UK is nothing new.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Daner
using the card limits one to using the line for non-biometric EU passports. The entry line for biometric passports has been considerably shorter and faster, so I'll be bringing that one with me from now on.
Not really. It limits you to interacting with a Border Force official, rather than going through an e-Gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.