Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Can a visitor give birth in the UK?

Can a visitor give birth in the UK?

Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Some services or treatments carried out in an NHS hospital are exempt from charges, so they are free to all. These include:
accident and emergency services – not including emergency treatment if admitted to hospital
family planning services – this does not include termination of pregnancy or infertility treatment
treatment for most infectious diseases, including sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
treatment required for a physical or mental condition caused by torture, female genital mutilation, domestic violence or sexual violence – this does not apply if you have come to England to seek this treatment
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...n-England.aspx
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Red
Originally Posted by ajax
No, it's not. If patients are not resident in the UK, they are sent a bill. Whether or not they pay is another matter (which actually can be taken up with their embassy), but A&E services are absolutely not free of charge for anyone and everyone physically present in the UK.
A&E services are an exception to the charging and no one pays for treatment. Should an admission be required then that charges kick in but, currently, anyone who presents at an A&E department is treated without charge. As the article above states, the government are looking to introduce such charges.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/uk-visitors/visiting-england/Pages/visitors-from-outside-the-eea.aspx

"Some services or treatments carried out in an NHS hospital are exempt from charges, so that they are free to all. These include:
•accident and emergency services – not including emergency treatment if admitted to hospital
•family planning services – this does not include termination of pregnancy or infertility treatment
•treatment for most infectious diseases, including sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
•treatment required for a physical or mental condition caused by torture, female genital mutilation (FGM), domestic violence or sexual violence – this does not apply if you have come to England for the purpose of seeking that treatment "
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Polk
A&E services are an exception to the charging and no one pays for treatment. Should an admission be required then that charges kick in but, currently, anyone who presents at an A&E department is treated without charge. As the article above states, the government are looking to introduce such charges.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/uk-visitors/visiting-england/Pages/visitors-from-outside-the-eea.aspx

"Some services or treatments carried out in an NHS hospital are exempt from charges, so that they are free to all. These include:
•accident and emergency services – not including emergency treatment if admitted to hospital
•family planning services – this does not include termination of pregnancy or infertility treatment
•treatment for most infectious diseases, including sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
•treatment required for a physical or mental condition caused by torture, female genital mutilation (FGM), domestic violence or sexual violence – this does not apply if you have come to England for the purpose of seeking that treatment "
I'm really surprised by this. It certainly wasn't covered in med school in great depth. Interesting that all A&E services are free of charge to anyone at any time for any reason. I assure you that this is not well known.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajax
I'm really surprised by this. It certainly wasn't covered in med school in great depth. Interesting that all A&E services are free of charge to anyone at any time for any reason. I assure you that this is not well known.
Under EU rules, emergency medical treatment for short-term visitors is provided on the same terms as those normally entitled to treatment on the same terms as locals (so free in the UK). However, the cost is charged to the social security system of the home state. You are therefore normally expected to carry your EHIC for that purpose (so that they can take your details and bill your home social security system), otherwise they do send you a bill for the cost. My understanding is that it was the case that A&E did not charge at all but have started to do so. I certainly know that my mother, who had an accident while visiting London, was billed for her medical treatment here. We did not check the details of the bill to see whether there was a distinction between the immediate A&E cost and the consequential hospital admission.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Originally Posted by NickB
My understanding is that it was the case that A&E did not charge at all but have started to do so.
they have been talking about it for a while, but it hasn't happened yet...
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...hs-jeremy-hunt
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Can EHIC cards be procured after treatment so as to cover expenses incurred prior to enrolling for the EHIC? I'm asking because it seems like lots of people are still clueless about EHIC and often seem to only find out about it after seeking treatment abroad.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:41 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Can EHIC cards be procured after treatment so as to cover expenses incurred prior to enrolling for the EHIC? I'm asking because it seems like lots of people are still clueless about EHIC and often seem to only find out about it after seeking treatment abroad.
My understanding is that you must have the card itself, or a temporary certificate that can be issued in lieu of the card, but if you don't have a card then your travel insurance may still pay the amount you would have saved with the EHIC.

As you have a lot to do with Sweden, I looked up the situation there and it seems to be the case that you can claim the costs back later even if you don't have the card. However, the full answer to your question isn't clear to me - i.e. whether it is necessary to have at least expressed an interest in obtaining the card prior to the time you require it, or whether your eligibility is automatic/backdateable.

http://www.forsakringskassan.se/priv..._intyg/eu_kort

Also to keep on topic, an EHIC cannot be used if you are planning to give birth in an EEA country that you don't ordinarily reside in, but can be used in an emergency when you were not planning to give birth there.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Red
Under EU rules, emergency medical treatment for short-term visitors is provided on the same terms as those normally entitled to treatment on the same terms as locals (so free in the UK). However, the cost is charged to the social security system of the home state. You are therefore normally expected to carry your EHIC for that purpose (so that they can take your details and bill your home social security system), otherwise they do send you a bill for the cost. My understanding is that it was the case that A&E did not charge at all but have started to do so. I certainly know that my mother, who had an accident while visiting London, was billed for her medical treatment here. We did not check the details of the bill to see whether there was a distinction between the immediate A&E cost and the consequential hospital admission.
As I mentioned above, A&E treatment is not contingent on having a EHIC card or being an EU national. Having been in the back of an ambulance with a number of overseas nationals over the years, this comes as a great relief to those who ask about the cost as they don't have insurance. As an aside it is surprising how many visitors do not have medical cover for emergencies during their visit, and it's not just students.

It is not currently legal to charge for A&E visits although, as others have said, the government are reviewing this and fees may be introduced in future.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by :D!
My understanding is that you must have the card itself, or a temporary certificate that can be issued in lieu of the card, but if you don't have a card then your travel insurance may still pay the amount you would have saved with the EHIC.

As you have a lot to do with Sweden, I looked up the situation there and it seems to be the case that you can claim the costs back later even if you don't have the card. However, the full answer to your question isn't clear to me - i.e. whether it is necessary to have at least expressed an interest in obtaining the card prior to the time you require it, or whether your eligibility is automatic/backdateable.

http://www.forsakringskassan.se/priv..._intyg/eu_kort

Also to keep on topic, an EHIC cannot be used if you are planning to give birth in an EEA country that you don't ordinarily reside in, but can be used in an emergency when you were not planning to give birth there.
I was actually looking at this from the perspective:

of UK persons going to say Italy, Malta or Spain and getting hit with unexpected medical needs while in the UK;

and also of Italians, Maltese or Spaniards vacationing in the UK and getting hit with unexpected medical needs.

Specifically unexpected early delivery of baby/babies or unexpected medical care for children/pregnant women.

It seems like the rules on conditions to pay for care abroad is national (patient's home country rules) when it comes to Europeans, but I'm curious if there is some reciprocal or uniform arrangement for what those conditions are or should be applicable across markerts where EHIC is used but has not been previously applied for by those who get hit by unexpected medical needs during a visit.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 23, 2015 at 9:11 am
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Under EU rules, emergency medical treatment for short-term visitors is provided on the same terms as those normally entitled to treatment on the same terms as locals (so free in the UK).
Short-term visitors just from the EU, I presume? The link from NHS England above does not distinguish country of origin.

However, the cost is charged to the social security system of the home state. You are therefore normally expected to carry your EHIC for that purpose (so that they can take your details and bill your home social security system), otherwise they do send you a bill for the cost. My understanding is that it was the case that A&E did not charge at all but have started to do so. I certainly know that my mother, who had an accident while visiting London, was billed for her medical treatment here. We did not check the details of the bill to see whether there was a distinction between the immediate A&E cost and the consequential hospital admission.
If I may ask, of which EU member state is your mother a resident/citizen?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:42 am
Suspended

EU, EEA and perhaps some affiliated territories have persons eligible for EHIC. Norwegians with EHIC, for example.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EU, EEA and perhaps some affiliated territories have persons eligible for EHIC. Norwegians with EHIC, for example.
Norway is in the EEA
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Calchas
Norway is in the EEA
.... which is why I posted about the EEA too -- and not just EU -- and mentioned Norway as an example of EHIC-issuing/using country which is non-EU.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.... which is why I posted about the EEA too -- and not just EU -- and mentioned Norway as an example of EHIC-issuing/using country which is non-EU.
Ah right, I thought you were suggesting that it be an example of an affiliated state rather than an EEA state
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Bumping the thread - did we ever hear about ReaJr being born/update?

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.