Search

Manchester Connection Question

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 4:29 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by stut
At CPH, it's a bit more confused, as there's some domestic flights (basically AAR, AAL and SFJ) that go from T2, but the turboprop flights to the smaller airports go from T1, which is something of a shed, about a 15-minute walk (or bus ride) from the main terminal. IIRC, the former can be transferred on to, the latter can't, but it's been a while.
CPH T1 closed 4 years ago.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by :D!
CPH T1 closed 4 years ago.
Wow, how time flies! Been that long that I haven't been going to Denmark regularly.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're reviving a long dead post

Originally Posted by stut
Definitely the case in OSL, they're very strict about it. [...]

At CPH, it's a bit more confused, as there's some domestic flights (basically AAR, AAL and SFJ) that go from T2, but the turboprop flights to the smaller airports go from T1, which is something of a shed, about a 15-minute walk (or bus ride) from the main terminal. IIRC, the former can be transferred on to, the latter can't, but it's been a while.
Here's what TIMATIC advises.

OSL:
Code:
Baggage Clearance:
- Baggage is cleared at the first airport of entry in Norway.
- Exempt: baggage of transit passengers traveling to a
destination outside of Norway or on a direct flight to
Svalbard/Longyearbyen (LYR).
CPH:
Code:
Baggage Clearance:
- Denmark: baggage is cleared at the airport of final
destination.
Faroe Islands and Greenland: baggage is cleared at the first
airport of entry in Faroe Islands or Greenland and must be
labeled to the airport of final destination.
STO:
Code:
Baggage Clearance:
- Baggage, for passengers arriving at Stockholm Arlanda (ARN)
and Gothenburg (GOT) on international SAS, Thai Airways
International (TG), Singapore Airlines (SQ) or Air China
(CA) operated flights and connecting with any SAS (SK)
operated flights within Sweden, is cleared at the airport of
final destination in Sweden.
Baggage, for passengers arriving at Stockholm Arlanda (ARN)
and Gothenburg (GOT) on international Austrian (OS) or
Lufthansa (LH) operated flights and connecting with flights
within Sweden, is cleared at the airport of final
destination in Sweden
Baggage, for passengers arriving at Stockholm Arlanda (ARN),
Stockholm Bromma (BMA) and Gothenburg (GOT) on international
Finnair (AY) operated flights and connecting with flights
within Sweden, except connecting flights to Hagfors (HFS),
Torsby (TYF) and Oskarshamn (OSK), is cleared at the airport
of final destination in Sweden.
Baggage, for passengers arriving at Stockholm Arlanda (ARN),
Gothenburg (GOT) and Linkoping (LPI) on international KLM
(KL) operated flights and connecting with flights within
Sweden, is cleared at the airport of final destination in
Sweden.
Baggage, for passengers arriving at Stockholm Arlanda (ARN)
on international Emirates (EK) operated flights and
connecting with flights within Sweden, is cleared at the
airport of final destination in Sweden.
- Exempt: special baggage such as live animals and firearms,
which must be cleared at Arlanda.
- In all other cases, baggage is cleared at the first airport
of entry in Sweden when disembarking.
- Exempt: those transiting from an international flight to
another international flight.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
Another data point for anybody doing a domestic - international connection at Manchester:

I recently flew from Aberdeen to Manchester on Flybe, then Manchester to Muscat on Oman Air. This involved a terminal 3 to terminal 2 connection. Upon arrival in Manchester (late Sunday afternoon) I followed the signs to connections, and was advised to wait in the connection bus lounge. I was the only person there, and it took a good 20-30 minutes for a bus to turn up (despite me using the courtesy phone to request a bus, then check on it some time later). The bus deposited me in a completely empty area of terminal 2 (the lights were all off and turned back on as I walked through), but on the plus side I didn't have to go through security again. When it was time for boarding, Oman Air had to take me aside to 'complete' my check-in or something along those lines (I'd checked in separately for the Flybe and Oman Air flights online, as neither could check me in for both legs).

On the way back, first of all I wasn't able to check in for my Flybe flight online, which concerned me a bit. Overheard a guy mentioning Flybe in the gate area in Muscat and he advised to use the "alternative check in" page which allowed an e-ticket number to be entered - that worked. (Could have been related to the use of a corporate travel agent, but check in did work on the outbound flight.) Anyway, around 7 hours later, we arrived in Manchester and I was met at the top of the airbridge by a lady asking for Flybe connecting passengers. There were 2 of us (meant to be 3, not sure what happened to the third person!), and she had boarding passes for us there. Took us on a bus which then deposited us at a security check, which was quick and easy, then we had to sit down and wait to go through the UK Border. Unfortunately, there was nobody there. Some folk from an Emirates flight joined us, and still no border staff. One of the security folk phoned up to ask for somebody to come, but it still took about 45 minutes from us first arriving for somebody to turn up and let us into the country!

Overall I feel the connection experience at Manchester leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe my flights were just at 'awkward' times, but the delay on the return journey in particular seemed unacceptably long. There were folk connecting to a Belfast flight that left before my flight who were starting to panic that they weren't going to get home that night! Heathrow connections can be a bit of a drag when they involve intra-terminal transfers (especially when T4 is involved) but on the whole I find there's not too much waiting about. Perhaps more chance of flights being disrupted due to Heathrow congestion though...

All this said, a few years ago now I flew Aberdeen - Manchester - Southampton and back, all on Flybe, and there was no bother at all connecting, but of course they were all domestic flights in the same terminal.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by orudge
Overall I feel the connection experience at Manchester [airport] leaves a lot to be desired.
I've corrected that to represent the general case.

I honestly can't think of a single positive thing about the MAN experience. The airport is an embarrassment.
:D! likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I honestly can't think of a single positive thing about the MAN experience. The airport is an embarrassment.
The EK lounge is very nice
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The EK lounge is very nice
... damning with faint praise
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:22 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I hope to never connect at MAN, but at least on the return to the UK it seems that going landside would make more sense given than you need to reclear security anyway.

On the outbound waiting 30 mins for a bus, if you have something to occupy yourself with, seems to be a reasonable exchange for not having to go through security at MAN.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC
To reopen this thread, I'm looking to travel on separate ticket between an arriving BA domestic (final part of a ticket originating in the Caribbean) and departing on a Loganair flight, and so will have to collect bags and check in again. How long should I expect the process to take? I've allowed a load of time, so it will not be a bother, I was just thinking in advance just in case anything happens to the BA flight and I have to catch the next one which would only allow an hour.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:10 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
To reopen this thread, I'm looking to travel on separate ticket between an arriving BA domestic (final part of a ticket originating in the Caribbean) and departing on a Loganair flight, and so will have to collect bags and check in again. How long should I expect the process to take? I've allowed a load of time, so it will not be a bother, I was just thinking in advance just in case anything happens to the BA flight and I have to catch the next one which would only allow an hour.
how much time did you leave?

to account for potential delays in arrival, delays in bags appearing, and presumably you need to check in with LM by around 60 mins, I would say at 3 hour gap is reasonable - possibly 4/5 if you want to be more conservative. if everything goes well and your flight arrives in time and bags come out in a reasonable time you could easily be at check in within an hour of landing.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I have à variant of that questiin:

arriving on a domestic flight (Loganair from Isle of Man), connecting to Air France.

Is there an airside transfer? Does it involve security controls?

How much time should I plan for? Only hand luggage, with boarding pass for the connecting flight already on my phone, flying Business Class and holding priority status with my AF card (=should give access to priority lane if there is such a thing).

Thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
which terminal is AF from?

Answered my own question, AF is T2.

LM arrive in to T3. There is no airside route. You will have to exit T3 to landside, then walk to T2, then go through security in T2 to get airside. Time wise you should be at T2 security no more than 15-20 minutes after stepping of the LM plane. Security can be variable depending on time of day and date, but it's generally better than it was at MAN a few months ago.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I am considering booking an AF award ticket that's CDG-MAN on AF and connecting onward on VS, Booking on a single ticket, I assume that my bag would be interlined? Is 2 hours enough time to transit? Whats the experience like transiting there?
Old Aug 30, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
I am considering booking an AF award ticket that's CDG-MAN on AF and connecting onward on VS, Booking on a single ticket, I assume that my bag would be interlined? Is 2 hours enough time to transit? Whats the experience like transiting there?
International to international? I’m pretty sure you will need to clear security in MAN, even if you can bypass immigration. Depending on day of week and time of day, security can be bad. I’m not saying I’m absolutely right here - what you’re doing falls into edge case territory. I would want minimum +1 extra hour. Since it’s one ticket, you should be looked after in the event of a late arrival into MAN. Very few travellers connect through this airport.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
I’m also looking at same routing. Did you do this? Would be curious how it went?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.