Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Destinations

Europe

U.K. and Ireland

Manchester Connection Question

Manchester Connection Question

Old Sep 25, 15, 2:53 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Posts: 1,117
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
[...]
Moreover, in Europe (excluding Scandinavia), if your bag is checked to the final destination, then that is where you collect it, even if it goes to a domestic carousel. There's no "pick up and drop".
I'm ignorant - could you expand on the Scandinavian situation? (I've only done point-to-point flights to Scandi countries.)
Mizter T is offline  
Old Sep 25, 15, 5:03 pm
  #47  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sheen, London
Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 5,767
Originally Posted by Mizter T View Post
I'm ignorant - could you expand on the Scandinavian situation? (I've only done point-to-point flights to Scandi countries.)
Well, for example if you are doing something like LON-ARN-GOT, then you would have to retrieve your baggage and recheck it at ARN, because it has a separate domestic terminal. However, for an international transfer at ARN (regardless of entering, exiting, staying within or staying without Schengen) this is not necessary, AFAIK.
:D! is offline  
Old Sep 26, 15, 5:46 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Posts: 1,117
Aha, so they don't manage to transfer checked baggage between the international and domestic terminals at Stockholm... I wonder why? And this is the case elsewhere in Scandinavia?
Mizter T is offline  
Old Sep 27, 15, 4:59 am
  #49  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sheen, London
Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Posts: 5,767
Originally Posted by Mizter T View Post
Aha, so they don't manage to transfer checked baggage between the international and domestic terminals at Stockholm... I wonder why? And this is the case elsewhere in Scandinavia?
https://www.norwegian.com/uk/custome...ms-clearance-/

This page seems to contradict what I wrote earlier, but perhaps it's only for Norwegian.

I flew SAS 2 weeks ago (intl-intl) and the FAs announced very clearly in both directions that passengers transferring from intl to Swedish dom at ARN needed to collect their bags and re-check.

The baggage reclaim at Terminal 4, the Swedish dom terminal at ARN, is open to the street, whereas T5 isn't.
:D! is offline  
Old Feb 15, 17, 8:20 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Sydney
Programs: QF Gold (LTS) and VA Gold
Posts: 834
Sorry about the necrobump - but figured that this thread was spot on topic and a new thread wasn't needed.

I'm considering booking a 65 minute connection LHR-MAN (BA1386) arriving at 1115 and then getting on MAN-ORD (AA55) leaving at 1220 on a Monday in mid July. Both flights seem to use Terminal 3. This will be all on one ticket so my bags will go through. Travelling on an Australian passport with an ESTA.

I will be able to get a seat in the first few rows of economy on the BA domestic (so that will save a few minutes) and if there is a premium security lane my status will probably get me in that. If it all goes pear shaped then there are a couple of get outs (back to LHR on the 2pm will allow me to get on the afternoon BA LHR-ORD or even travelling the next day wouldn't be the end of the world (especially if there were some EC261 on offer).

BA1386 (LHR-MAN) is apparently on time 76% of the time and the average delay is 21 minutes and the connection AA55 (MAN-ORD) is apparently on time 73% of the time with an average delay of 25 minutes.

Ordinarily the earlier flight LHR-MAN would be great - but it doubles the price of my rather complex trip to Sydney (LHR-MAN-ORD-CLT-LAS-PHX-LAX-SYD) with a couple of 23 hour 'connections' along the way.

I know that I am really pushing the limits here - whilst this meets the MCT it will no doubt be tight. But is it completely mad? If it is I will come up with plan B.
luftaom is offline  
Old Feb 15, 17, 9:14 am
  #51  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Posts: 16,899
Originally Posted by luftaom View Post
I'm considering booking a 65 minute connection LHR-MAN (BA1386) arriving at 1115 and then getting on MAN-ORD (AA55) leaving at 1220 on a Monday in mid July. Both flights seem to use Terminal 3. This will be all on one ticket so my bags will go through. Travelling on an Australian passport with an ESTA.

I will be able to get a seat in the first few rows of economy on the BA domestic (so that will save a few minutes) and if there is a premium security lane my status will probably get me in that.
In theory you don't need to go through security again coming off the LHR-MAN flight, since it is a domestic flight. You should just be able to go straight into the departure lounge after a quick boarding pass scan. AA & BA use the same terminal.

This is stated in the airport guidance: http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/a...ort-transfers/

That said, I rarely fly into Manchester but I was never able to spot the domestic->international route when I did so. Looked like all domestic passengers just had to go into bag reclaim. Can anyone confirm I was being shortsighted?
Calchas is offline  
Old Feb 16, 17, 4:19 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond, SQ KF Silver; others
Posts: 705
Caveat - I've never used the MAN T3 airside connection myself. However, I use BA & AA in/out of MAN T3 fairly often.

Your connection should be comfortable. You might be the only person, or maybe just a handful, making a domestic-international connection, so very unlikely to be any queues. There will be a biometrics check, but not security (I think). You'll probably have time for a lounge visit (QF gold travelling on AA gets you into the BA lounge at T3).

Even if you have to go landside and back through security again, you still should have time, although you might need some brisk walking if you want to be sure of being at the gate before boarding starts, due to the normal AA gates being at the far end of the terminal.

The catches I see are:
(i) the relatively common risk of delayed LHR-MAN flights. But then it becomes BA's problem to get you to your destination, so should be fine. Although you might want to look at the impacts on the rest of that itinerary.

(ii) you might discover the airside connection is closed due to lack of expected users at that time (but see comment about going landside above).

(iii) the risk of missing the airside connection route. The signs and route could be easy to miss depending on which gate you arrive at. I've found the most common arrival gate for BA LHR-MAN recently to be gate 142/143/144. As you leave the jetbridge, you will go down a set of stairs. The signs are in the corridor you enter at the bottom of the stairs and might require you to look backwards (rightwards) against the flow of passengers to see the signs.

Short answer, given the flexibility you mention "worst case, next day is OK" then I'd be very comfortable booking this.

Last edited by manord; Jun 27, 17 at 2:15 pm
manord is online now  
Old Feb 16, 17, 11:10 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Sydney
Programs: QF Gold (LTS) and VA Gold
Posts: 834
Thanks to Calchas and (the aptly named) manord. Much appreciated.
luftaom is offline  
Old Apr 16, 19, 8:37 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 25
Specific situation question: I am flying from Houston IAH to Manchester MAN on Singapore Airlines into T2 at 1005am. I am ultimately trying to get to Stockholm. I am looking at an SAS flight that leaves from T1 in MAN to ARN. That flight departs at 1140am. I am flying business class on Singapore and it will be a SEPARATE ticket from MAN to ARN on SAS (economy).

is 1hr 35min long enough to transfer from international arrival in T2 at 1005am to international departure in T1 at 1140am? No checked bags.

Just wanted to check before I book SAS flight to see if it will be enough time. Thanks in advance for response.
jrgiddyup is offline  
Old Apr 16, 19, 8:40 am
  #55  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada, USA, Europe
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 31,453
Originally Posted by jrgiddyup View Post
Specific situation question: I am flying from Houston IAH to Manchester MAN on Singapore Airlines into T2 at 1005am. I am ultimately trying to get to Stockholm. I am looking at an SAS flight that leaves from T1 in MAN to ARN. That flight departs at 1140am. I am flying business class on Singapore and it will be a SEPARATE ticket from MAN to ARN on SAS (economy).

is 1hr 35min long enough to transfer from international arrival in T2 at 1005am to international departure in T1 at 1140am? No checked bags.

Just wanted to check before I book SAS flight to see if it will be enough time. Thanks in advance for response.
This is largely a theoretical question. If you arrive on time it is doable, if tight. If your inbound flight is 30 minutes late, youll almost certainly going to be purchasing a new return ticket to Stockholm at walk-up prices on the day. Id build in more time.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Apr 19, 19, 9:12 am
  #56  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 17,484
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
This is largely a theoretical question. If you arrive on time it is doable, if tight. If your inbound flight is 30 minutes late, youll almost certainly going to be purchasing a new return ticket to Stockholm at walk-up prices on the day. Id build in more time.
Agreed... Way too tight for my liking.
DYKWIA is offline  
Old May 11, 19, 11:44 pm
  #57  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Enough to travel better
Posts: 2,020
Question about transfers within the same terminal. I am arriving on a UA flight at MAN T2 at 07:15. My next flight is on SN that now departs from the same T2 terminal at 10:45 the same morning. I will have carry-on luggage with me. Do I need to go through security within T2 even though my next flight is in the same terminal or do I just go to the airline transfer desk to check in?
tonywestsider is offline  
Old May 12, 19, 5:09 am
  #58  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 17,484
Originally Posted by tonywestsider View Post
Question about transfers within the same terminal. I am arriving on a UA flight at MAN T2 at 07:15. My next flight is on SN that now departs from the same T2 terminal at 10:45 the same morning. I will have carry-on luggage with me. Do I need to go through security within T2 even though my next flight is in the same terminal or do I just go to the airline transfer desk to check in?
You'll need to go through security at some point. Just head for the transfer/transit point, and you'll avoid having to clear immigration and going landside.
DYKWIA is offline  
Old May 15, 19, 3:06 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Enough to travel better
Posts: 2,020
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
You'll need to go through security at some point. Just head for the transfer/transit point, and you'll avoid having to clear immigration and going landside.
Thank you!
tonywestsider is offline  
Old May 15, 19, 4:01 am
  #60  
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Biggleswade
Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Posts: 13,601
Originally Posted by Mizter T View Post
Aha, so they don't manage to transfer checked baggage between the international and domestic terminals at Stockholm... I wonder why? And this is the case elsewhere in Scandinavia?
Definitely the case in OSL, they're very strict about it. I think there's a combination of factors in play, including the sheer number of tiny airports (so no capacity for customs clearance at the destination) and the high level of duty of a number of products. Before Schengen, the international pier at Gardermoen was inaccessible to domestic passengers - they couldn't even walk through the duty free shop.

At CPH, it's a bit more confused, as there's some domestic flights (basically AAR, AAL and SFJ) that go from T2, but the turboprop flights to the smaller airports go from T1, which is something of a shed, about a 15-minute walk (or bus ride) from the main terminal. IIRC, the former can be transferred on to, the latter can't, but it's been a while.
stut is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread