Manchester Connection Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 2:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by acvitale
A quick update on the Manchester transfer. VS 109 arrived early and there were approximately 25-30 passengers who were transferring to KL1082. It seems that everyone was booked via Delta tickets on award seats due to the low roundtrip miles required compared to other flight options (60K Y class and 120K in J class)

Long story short. Manchester is NOT a good transfer airport. It took over an hour to clear security and get back to the terminal after arriving at the transfer center on the bus from T3!

The details........
Wow! Thanks for the detailed report! ^^
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:00 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
In T3 took elevator to lower level and waited for the bus.

[snip]

Eventually made it to the Escape lounge in T2 and from here I write this post.
I'm a little confused. If arriving on VS and connecting to KL, didn't the OP have to go from T2 to T3 rather than from T3 to T2?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....

You are correct. My mistake I confused T3 and T2. Will edit appropriately

Last edited by acvitale; Jun 14, 2015 at 3:57 am
Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Make me glad that Manchester is home and I don't need to bother with transfers. It's really a destination airport not a transfer hub. I think the large numbers from the VS flight bust the system, though that is not an excuse for the shoddy experience.

I did say at the start that the airside route is not great. At least if your bags are checked through (no need to reclaim and recheck in the UK) you can do the landside walk yourself, which looks to be the outcome from this thread.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Make me glad that Manchester is home and I don't need to bother with transfers. It's really a destination airport not a transfer hub.
+1
Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:10 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Make me glad that Manchester is home and I don't need to bother with transfers. It's really a destination airport not a transfer hub. I think the large numbers from the VS flight bust the system, though that is not an excuse for the shoddy experience.

I did say at the start that the airside route is not great. At least if your bags are checked through (no need to reclaim and recheck in the UK) you can do the landside walk yourself, which looks to be the outcome from this thread.
You were correct and it is a good lesson learned. I was shocked at how many people were on the exact same flights. I did not expect that out of a total of 199 pax and 14 fa and 2 cockpit crew on the A330-300 nearly 30 pax were on the identical routing and all on award tickets making me question how successful the route is from ATL to MAN.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:34 pm

on the A330-300 nearly 30 pax were on the identical routing and all on award tickets
That is indeed astounding. I'm very surprised VS release that many seats even if loads are low. It's also a huge chunk of the KL 737 seats!

Has the routing been widely publicised on the DL board?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Eventually made it to the Escape lounge in T3 and from here I write this post. It is a sad and almost pathetic lounge. Not impressed.
You'll be even less impressed with the Escape lounge in T2.

Although, I don't really see the issue. It's a lounge, with seats, hot food and drinks, and Wifi. Which is more than can be said of any lounge I've been to in the US
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Although, I don't really see the issue. It's a lounge, with seats, hot food and drinks, and Wifi.
Which champagnes are available?

Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:02 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Calchas
Which champagnes are available?

I think you can purchase Champagne... Not sure which types though
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
on the A330-300 nearly 30 pax were on the identical routing and all on award tickets
That is indeed astounding. I'm very surprised VS release that many seats even if loads are low. It's also a huge chunk of the KL 737 seats!

Has the routing been widely publicised on the DL board?
To date this has not been an item on the Delta forums
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do we know they are award tickets?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:23 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
How do we know they are award tickets?
. Because that is what we booked, we were discussing this and we made it clear above. We were all the refugees of the flight transfer desk together
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

. Because that is what we booked, we were discussing this and we made it clear above. We were all the refugees of the flight transfer desk together
I mean, all thirty of you?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:06 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Yes it was the subject of animated conversation as everyone had gotten this routing at 1/2 to 1/3 the miles required for the nonstops

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.