Wiki Posts
Search

London Gatwick to the inner city by Underground

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

London Gatwick to the inner city by Underground

Hello!

I'm heading to London on vacation this summer, first time in Europe so I'm really excited!

We'll be landing in London-Gatwick on Air Transat from Calgary sometime in the morning. How much time should we allow to get to our hotel in the inner city? We will not have a car, we will travel by the Underground system.

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2015, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Cheese
Hello!

I'm heading to London on vacation this summer, first time in Europe so I'm really excited!

We'll be landing in London-Gatwick on Air Transat from Calgary sometime in the morning. How much time should we allow to get to our hotel in the inner city? We will not have a car, we will travel by the Underground system.

Thanks!
The Tube doesn't run all the way out to Gatwick, but there are very frequent trains into London from the station under the South Terminal.

Generally speaking, it will take about an hour from arrival until you are through immigration and customs (sometimes less, sometimes more). Air Transat uses the South Terminal, so you should be able to go directly to the train station.

There are four different train services from Gatwick to London: Gatwick Express, Southern and two Thameslink services.

Gatwick Express is nonstop to London Victoria station and is expensive, but it's easy and fast. It goes every 15 minutes taking 30 minutes.

Southern also goes to Victoria but is much cheaper and makes a couple of intermediate stops. It is also roughly every 15 minutes and takes about 35 minutes.

Thameslink used to serve London Bridge, Blackfriars, Farringdon and London St Pancras; however, while they rebuild London Bridge station it is split into two services. One service goes from Gatwick to London Bridge, and another from Gatwick to Blackfriars, Farringdon and London St Pancras. The London Bridge service takes 30 minutes; the Blackfriars service takes 45.

Last time I was at Gatwick, there was a place between immigration and the baggage hall where you could fill the time before your bags came out to buy train tickets; I don't know if it's still there. If not, you can just buy your ticket from a window or from a machine at the station. Note that all trains at Gatwick are unreserved -- you don't need to book a specific train.

It will help to know where in the city you are staying; that will help us suggest a good way to get from one of these termini to your hotel.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:34 pm

Trains branded "express" are operated by Southern - there isn't a separate train company. Those services are barely five minutes quicker than the other services. In peak periods, those "express" trains run to / from Brighton and are packed. I'd struggle to recommend the "express" service to anyone.
Let us know where you're staying, as there are many route/ticket options from Gatwick. Advice needs to be tailored to your location /date as ticket prices vary by day/time.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by rcspeirs
Trains branded "express" are operated by Southern - there isn't a separate train company. Those services are barely five minutes quicker than the other services. In peak periods, those "express" trains run to / from Brighton and are packed. I'd struggle to recommend the "express" service to anyone..
The Express trains are only likely to be very busy in one direction though - trains will be busy from Gatwick heading into London (Victoria) in the morning, and likewise busy from Victoria heading out to Gatwick (and then Brighton) in the evening.

Agree with the general point that Gatwick Express isn't much worth bothering with. (The benefit of being able to be in a rush, jump on a Gatwick Express train and buy your ticket on board ended some years ago - now you've got to buy it before travel.)
Old May 26, 2015, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marlborobell
The Tube doesn't run all the way out to Gatwick, but there are very frequent trains into London from the station under the South Terminal.

Generally speaking, it will take about an hour from arrival until you are through immigration and customs (sometimes less, sometimes more). Air Transat uses the South Terminal, so you should be able to go directly to the train station.

There are four different train services from Gatwick to London: Gatwick Express, Southern and two Thameslink services.

Gatwick Express is nonstop to London Victoria station and is expensive, but it's easy and fast. It goes every 15 minutes taking 30 minutes.

Southern also goes to Victoria but is much cheaper and makes a couple of intermediate stops. It is also roughly every 15 minutes and takes about 35 minutes.

Thameslink used to serve London Bridge, Blackfriars, Farringdon and London St Pancras; however, while they rebuild London Bridge station it is split into two services. One service goes from Gatwick to London Bridge, and another from Gatwick to Blackfriars, Farringdon and London St Pancras. The London Bridge service takes 30 minutes; the Blackfriars service takes 45.

Last time I was at Gatwick, there was a place between immigration and the baggage hall where you could fill the time before your bags came out to buy train tickets; I don't know if it's still there. If not, you can just buy your ticket from a window or from a machine at the station. Note that all trains at Gatwick are unreserved -- you don't need to book a specific train.

It will help to know where in the city you are staying; that will help us suggest a good way to get from one of these termini to your hotel.
I'm staying just east of Hyde Park. I don't really know my way around London, so I'm not sure which option I'll be taking, lol!
Old May 26, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Victoria is closer to Hyde park. So get a southern service and save a few quid.

Check www.tfl.gov.uk for details of buses and tubes and fares too.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Not directly related to your question, but I would suggest you download an app for your iPhone called Citymapper. This is going to be your best friend while you're in London. Get a local SIM or put international roaming on your phone. Citymapper will give you travel options and prices. It will make getting around easier. Keep an eye on walking times too—some people forget to walk and see the city! The tube is a wonder, but it's just an underground railway, stay up top when you can and see the city.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
Not directly related to your question, but I would suggest you download an app for your iPhone called Citymapper. This is going to be your best friend while you're in London. Get a local SIM or put international roaming on your phone. Citymapper will give you travel options and prices. It will make getting around easier. Keep an eye on walking times too—some people forget to walk and see the city! The tube is a wonder, but it's just an underground railway, stay up top when you can and see the city.
I would second that - Citymapper is the most brilliant and revolutionary app I've ever used, and I now use it pretty well wherever I am around the world. In London, it's alerted me to routes that I never knew about, and has shown that buses are often faster, as well as offering a view.

But, back to the OP, if staying just east of Hyde Park, we must be talking Park Lane or possibly Piccadilly. Victoria is definitely the best terminus for that area and, although it's a bit of a building site at the moment, connections to tube and bus there are very easy and will take you to the ultimate destination in around 10 minutes.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Victoria is closer to Hyde park. So get a southern service and save a few quid.

Check www.tfl.gov.uk for details of buses and tubes and fares too.
Okay, thank you!

Originally Posted by Microwave
I've never heard of that app, but we'll give it a shot - thank you for the suggestion!

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I would second that - Citymapper is the most brilliant and revolutionary app I've ever used, and I now use it pretty well wherever I am around the world. In London, it's alerted me to routes that I never knew about, and has shown that buses are often faster, as well as offering a view.

But, back to the OP, if staying just east of Hyde Park, we must be talking Park Lane or possibly Piccadilly. Victoria is definitely the best terminus for that area and, although it's a bit of a building site at the moment, connections to tube and bus there are very easy and will take you to the ultimate destination in around 10 minutes.
Okay, thanks for the advice!

And thanks to everyone that replied, y'all probably saved me a few hours of riding the wrong train!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:18 pm

Frequently it makes sense to plan travel by figuring out the logistics of travel first, and then selecting the best hotel that will be the most convenient. Of course, with award stays that can be a bit more difficult.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Frequently it makes sense to plan travel by figuring out the logistics of travel first, and then selecting the best hotel that will be the most convenient. Of course, with award stays that can be a bit more difficult.
I would agree absolutely. Assuming the hotel is clean, the bed comfortable and the room quiet, the depth of the carpet pile or the brand of toiletries are as nothing to the hotel's location which can make or break a stay. Decide what you want to visit, figure out where the attractions are, then stay somewhere within walking distance of at least some of them - and close to a tube station so it's easy to get to the others.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
This is true, but to clarify OP has picked a very good location for a first time visitor to London. You can walk to most of the main sites from just east of Hyde Park. And the parks on the doorstep (Hyde, Green and St James) are of course huge attractions in themselves.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by Mizter T
The Express trains are only likely to be very busy in one direction though - trains will be busy from Gatwick heading into London (Victoria) in the morning, and likewise busy from Victoria heading out to Gatwick (and then Brighton) in the evening.

Agree with the general point that Gatwick Express isn't much worth bothering with. (The benefit of being able to be in a rush, jump on a Gatwick Express train and buy your ticket on board ended some years ago - now you've got to buy it before travel.)
If the OP has lots of luggage, I'd advise they get the Gatwick Express to avoid annoying all the commuters.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by GodAtum
If the OP has lots of luggage, I'd advise they get the Gatwick Express to avoid annoying all the commuters.
Rubbish.

A train is a train is a train.

There are plenty of commuters 'to annoy' who use the GEX.

It's not just for airport users.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
If it's at enough of a peak time that 'annoyed' commuters are on board, then the Gatwick Express will be running its Brighton extension and be full of commuters as well. You are free to board whichever train you want - some people will always find a reason to complain.

If it's a commuter train, and you need to find luggage storage (the commuter trains on these services have pathetic overhead racks) then either looks for racks near the carriage interconnectors, or look for space between back-to-back seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.