Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Connecting at LHR - T5 to T2

Old May 15, 2015, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

I have an upcoming trip to UK. I'll be flying into LHR, making my way up to GLA and then flying home to the US. On my departure day, I'm flying BA GLA-LHR, arriving around 10:50 and connecting on a separate ticket on AC to YUL at 1410.

[1] Is 3:20 enough time to make this connection? Even with checked bags?
[2] If I don't have checked bags, can I used the airside transfer connection bus?
[3] If I do have checked bags, how to I get from T5 to T2? Is Heathrow Express the best way?

If there's another thread on this, I appreciate the link.
Old May 16, 2015, 1:07 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by fpc552
I have an upcoming trip to UK. I'll be flying into LHR, making my way up to GLA and then flying home to the US. On my departure day, I'm flying BA GLA-LHR, arriving around 10:50 and connecting on a separate ticket on AC to YUL at 1410.

[1] Is 3:20 enough time to make this connection? Even with checked bags?
[2] If I don't have checked bags, can I used the airside transfer connection bus?
[3] If I do have checked bags, how to I get from T5 to T2? Is Heathrow Express the best way?

If there's another thread on this, I appreciate the link.
[1] Yes, it should be fine but I am not sure that BA will interline to AC so you will have to collect the bags and then get the free Heathrow Express to T2.
[2] Yes but get a Boarding Pass to show at T5 as I have had problems getting to the international side to get the bus without one
[3] Yes, get on the front of the HEX train - it's free for this short trip - 5 minutes
Old May 16, 2015, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA won't interline as you are on seperate tickets.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
You have enough time to transfer T5 to T2. As Swanhunter says, BA won't through-check your bags. You will therefore have to transfer landside as follows:

1. Arrive into T5 as a domestic passengers, collect baggage from domestic baggage reclaim, exit to landside.
2. Take the free Heathrow Express to T1/2/3 (Heathrow Central).
3. Walk to T2, check-in at the AC desks, go through security to airside.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
You have enough time to transfer T5 to T2. As Swanhunter says, BA won't through-check your bags. You will therefore have to transfer landside as follows:

1. Arrive into T5 as a domestic passengers, collect baggage from domestic baggage reclaim, exit to landside.
2. Take the free Heathrow Express to T1/2/3 (Heathrow Central).
3. Walk to T2, check-in at the AC desks, go through security to airside.
I am flying DUB-LHR-WAW next week. BA will land me at LHR's T5, and *A terminal is T2 to fly to WAW with LO. I was commuting many times in LHR, but alwyas on the landside with HEX or buses or even tube.

Question here is about airside transfer from T5 to T2. (I am not sure how to check if it's single ticket... booking was done through my agency, there is single booking reference for both flights, and it can be read in both airline systems: BA website and LO website)

Is that possible not to leave airside?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:55 am

If you can see both flights in both airline's systems, it's a single ticket. If there were separate tickets each airline would only know about its own flight. So expect BA to check bags through from DUB to WAW. Whether they can give you both boarding passes in DUB is another matter that depends on how well the computer systems interface. You should be able to get the LOT boarding pass at the transfer desks in T2 if not in DUB. You will be eligible for airside transfer using the Flight Connections Centre buses. Bring a cop yof your itinerary in case any Heathrow Airport staff want convincing and you don't yet have the LOT boarding pass.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by n3l15
Is that possible not to leave airside?
Yes, provided you have no bags or your bags are checked through. Follow the purple signs for connecting passengers.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Andy33
If you can see both flights in both airline's systems, it's a single ticket. If there were separate tickets each airline would only know about its own flight. So expect BA to check bags through from DUB to WAW. Whether they can give you both boarding passes in DUB is another matter that depends on how well the computer systems interface. You should be able to get the LOT boarding pass at the transfer desks in T2 if not in DUB. You will be eligible for airside transfer using the Flight Connections Centre buses. Bring a cop yof your itinerary in case any Heathrow Airport staff want convincing and you don't yet have the LOT boarding pass.
thanks very much - it worked exactly as you said...
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Blue; UA Premier
I am arriving at T5 on 12 April; need to go to T2 for my connecting flight. They are on two separate tickets, What's the easiest way to get to T2? Assume I have to collect baggage and go through passport control before proceeding to T2?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...ween-terminals
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:53 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BA Favourite Flyer
I am arriving at T5 on 12 April; need to go to T2 for my connecting flight. They are on two separate tickets, What's the easiest way to get to T2? Assume I have to collect baggage and go through passport control before proceeding to T2?
BA will not interline your bags on separate tickets (in fact, since this thread was started they’ve tightened up even more on this), so - yes - you will have to go landside through passport control to collect them if arriving from a non-UK airport. You’ll then also clear customs (a walk through affair 99% of the time).

Viable landside transfer options are Underground (quickest, arrives a very short walk from T2, but needs a contactless card/Oyster to travel free between the terminals) or Heathrow Express (free between terminals in standard class, just get on the train barrier entry/ticket dispensed from the machines or some HEX staff members have them). There are technically also Transport for London buses, but don’t even think about it unless you really, really know what you’re doing and particularly like bus travel - it’ll take forever in comparison! After you exit customs in T5, turn right - both the Underground and Heathrow Express are well signposted in the concourse area.

You will not, for obvious reasons, be able to use the airside buses.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 9, 2019 at 11:44 pm Reason: To reflect need for a ticket for inter-terminal transfer on HEX
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Just booked a J ticket BOS-BUD via LHR. Ticket says arrive T5 and leave T2. Only have 1.5 hr between flights. Is this enough time and what's the process for getting to T2? Since we're arriving from the US, I assume we have to go thru customs etc first?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Just booked a J ticket BOS-BUD via LHR. Ticket says arrive T5 and leave T2. Only have 1.5 hr between flights. Is this enough time and what's the process for getting to T2? Since we're arriving from the US, I assume we have to go thru customs etc first?
Hi BMWMOT,

Which airline are you flying wtih to BUD?

Coming into T5 it will be BA ( or a AA codeshare on BA metal) but the BA flights ( assuming one ticket) are from T3 not T2.

If is BA to BUD from T3 just follow signs to Flight Connections ( T3) take a bus to T3 go through security then go to the gate or lounges if you have time ( nice J lounges in T3)

Unlike the US , transt passengers do not have to clear customs in LHR when transiting ( just a security check) Immigration and customs will be done at arrival at BUD)

1.5 hrs will be sufficent but if delayed you will be booked on the next flight

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
I'm not aware of any airline other than BA who flies LHR-BUD, so let's assume it's BA from T3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.