Eventually inspected by UK Customs Agents: my first time in 5+ years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eventually inspected by UK Customs Agents: my first time in 5+ years

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 6:41 am

Rule of thumb for myself is:

Big/lots of luggage: Got inspected a few times (but since I know the limits and stick to them, never a problem)
Smaller luggage/less pieces: No inspection so far

As said earlier in this thread, searches are not random, but done according to their experience. And I guess their experience says that "more luggage = more chance for smuggling".

But I'm fairly sure those experienced customs guy know more or less the factors they should take into consideration, and don't go only for luggage amount..
Old May 27, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
I used to get very irritated (10 years ago) when frequently checking IN in Gatwick to return to DUB, as a particular female regularly pulled me over for a frisk search almost every time. It was only this year that I discovered that I have metal clips in me that were part of old surgery. I thought I had been stitched. (take whichever meaning you like!)
On a visit to Melbourne, the lovely beagle showed a lot of interest in my wheeled laptop bag, which led to a brief chat on the spot, but it became clear that it was the aroma of peppermints that always permeated that bag that had attracted his nose. No peppermints, as I was very careful for all Oz arrivals, even interstate.
Old May 27, 2015, 5:57 pm

Security does not equal customs. Security tries to find out if you want to blow up/hijack the plane, customs tries to find out if you want to evade customs/smuggle items into the country. Hence why security checks occur on departure and customs checks on arrival. Customs checks are also not the same as immigration/passport control though they often are grouped together. Pet peeve of mine when people get them mixed up.

I only had a thorough customs check once - when crossing the German-Polish border by car about 15 years ago. Having a trunk full of stuff coming back from Poland must have looked a bit suspicious.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Security does not equal customs. Security tries to find out if you want to blow up/hijack the plane, customs tries to find out if you want to evade customs/smuggle items into the country. Hence why security checks occur on departure and customs checks on arrival. Customs checks are also not the same as immigration/passport control though they often are grouped together. Pet peeve of mine when people get them mixed up.

I only had a thorough customs check once - when crossing the German-Polish border by car about 15 years ago. Having a trunk full of stuff coming back from Poland must have looked a bit suspicious.
I didn't get them mixed up. Might have been slightly off topic, but still writing about airport-based encounters with officialdom. 😕
Old May 29, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I had a couple of questions and had to show my passport at St. Pancras when arriving from Brussels
I didn't know they had customs inspections at St Pancras. How does that sit with freedom of movement within the EU - as I understood it, there are not supposed to be any customs between EU member states.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:16 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
I didn't know they had customs inspections at St Pancras. How does that sit with freedom of movement within the EU - as I understood it, there are not supposed to be any customs between EU member states.
Sounds more like immigration than customs - possibly in the aftermath of the Lille Loophole debacle?
Old May 29, 2015, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Things are really not that simple.

For one thing, excise duties are payable on alcohol and tobacco products where they are not for the traveller's own personal use
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...u/index_en.htm
Old May 29, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
Sounds more like immigration than customs - possibly in the aftermath of the Lille Loophole debacle?
Yes UK immigration formalities are completed in France but UK authorities may inspect people at random as they get off the train.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I haven't yet had a customs inspection since the introduction of the red/green lane system but I did once have a beagle at ORD detect an unopened Terry's chocolate orange.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:58 pm

UK - once, arriving in EDI (or less likely GLA) about 13 yrs ago. I had a small flat box with a framed picture in it, officer specifically asked about and x-rayed that, I can only assume it might have been the flag which caused the inspection. no interest in large carry-on, luggage, etc., but the officer was waiting for me when I went through the green door. Beyond that, questioning was cursory.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The specified (known) passenger targeting for customs searches based on advanced intelligence come with jetbridge/gate-area interdiction, monitoring from the gate or earlier (pre-deplaning) specific details. Most customs searches in the LON airports are not of this nature.
this is certainly my experience. long long ago (mid-80s) as a teenager traveling solo (15+, able to fly alone) coming back from cent. america into IAH, I remember an airline person, while in the customs line, but before customs exit, came up to me and told me after customs to go to the gate. I was young enough to not process just how unusual that was, in and of itself.

I then got what is still the most thorough, exhaustive examination/inspection I ever had. I think the agent doing the inspection was genuinely surprised at the end, I must have closely fit a profile they had had good results using in the past. To the great credit of customs, the entire event was very professional.

Last edited by Woofdog123; Jul 10, 2015 at 1:29 pm
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:56 pm
Suspended

I was once pulled over returning to the UK with ten cases of white wine and a few hundred ciggies inside my car.
Asked if it was for my own personal consumption I said no it was solely for the missus as it kept her quiet whenever I wanted to head off to the pub without her (which let's be honest people is just about every time for most men) .
The customs guy simply laughed and waved me on.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by marlborobell
Going through the blue channel with checked bags tagged without green stripes is a pretty big giveaway. That's the whole reason the green stripes exist.
Agreed! Still confused why the green channel was roped off as I'm sure I wasn't the only one start ex-EU and arriving in LCY.
Cheers
Howie
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
Things are really not that simple.

For one thing, excise duties are payable on alcohol and tobacco products where they are not for the traveller's own personal use
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...u/index_en.htm
Out of interest, what are other ways in which things are "not that simple"? (A genuine question, I'm not being facetious.)

Was just pulled aside for a customs check arriving at St Pancras (UK passport). The officer wanted to know in particular how much cash I was carrying, and where I had been before Paris. (Didn't seem to have anything to do with alcohol or tobacco products.)

I really don't understand why (if?) they have the right to perform these kinds of checks on European travelers traveling within the EU.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Are we waking the dead again?

Originally Posted by jamespvg
I really don't understand why (if?) they have the right to perform these kinds of checks on European travelers traveling within the EU.
Simple: Booze and tobacco are taxed differently in every country and even intra-Europe there are caps as to how much you can buy abroad and bring back. That control is only going to stop when there's a harmonised tax on booze/tobacco, i.e. never. There are other goods that may/will be controlled by customs intra-Europe. I had a colleague that would get furious every time customs would confiscate medicine he ordered via internet from an other EU country. Checks on cash are quite normal too since it may be transported across border for the sole purpose of tax evasion.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.