Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Visiting London for 8 weeks. Immigration control.

Visiting London for 8 weeks. Immigration control.

Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Cool Visiting London for 8 weeks. Immigration control.

I am visiting London for 8 weeks, from mid June until Mid August 2015.
Main purpose of visit would be visiting friends across London, Birmingham and Dublin.

I am having 8 weeks break from work.

I will also make a short trip to Spain (for 5 days). However, I have yet purchase any flight tickets for that yet.

My questions are:
1. Would it be difficult to go through London Heathrow immigration for traveling 8 weeks? My country allows me to travel and visit England for 6 months without any Visa.
2. How much fund do I need to bring for 8 weeks expenditure? I will be staying with friends in London, Birmingham & Dublin, expect for Spain.
3. What other documentations do I need to provide, besides return tickets and perhaps some bank statements?

Please advice.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
1. You shouldn't have any problems at all with an 8 week visit. If asked by the immigration officer what you are doing you can honestly say you are staying with friends (have their names, numbers and addresses handy just in case they want to check with them)

2. For the UK I'd budget Ł50 a day on average as you won't have any accommodation to pay for. This would cover you for transport, possible entry fees to attractions and meals out. I say average because some days you'll spend very little but on others much more. Spain I can't help with but have a look on e.g. expedia to get an idea of flight and hotel costs.

You don't need to bring it all as cash. Use credit / debit cards as well. If they ask 'how much money have you got' you can say 'Łxx and my credit cards' and this will more then likely satisfy the officer.

3. None. I wouldn't bother with bank statements.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Unhappy

Thanks! I hope so. I am a bit terrified upon hearing all these scary immigration stories for Heathrow Airport.

I was even thinking of changing my flight tickets to returning back to my home country 4 weeks earlier, but it costs money. Very dilemma now

Please advice me what else should I prepare upon reaching London?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
One additional thing that might be useful is evidence that you have a job to go back to at home.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by lt87
Thanks! I hope so. I am a bit terrified upon hearing all these scary immigration stories for Heathrow Airport.

I was even thinking of changing my flight tickets to returning back to my home country 4 weeks earlier, but it costs money. Very dilemma now

Please advice me what else should I prepare upon reaching London?
In the scheme of things very few people get refused admission at the airport and generally it is because of a lack of proper documentation, trying to enter on the wrong visa (or not having one) or for having a story that does not bear close scrutiny.

Those stories (I'm assuming you have seen the Border Force programme or something similar) are supposed to be scary but are chosen for dramatic effect but at the end of the day reflect the reasons I've given above for being refused.

You don't say which country you are from but if you don't need a visa to enter the UK then the chances of being refused entry is very low.

Having a pack of 'evidence' can sometimes be used against you - do you normally travel with bank statements, copy of CV, pay slips. contract of employment, house papers etc etc because those are flags that you may be trying to work rather than just have a holiday.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I would just add that it's worth bringing proof of your return (departure) ticket and a possible itinerary with contact details of the friends you're planning to visit, just in case the immigration officer should wish to verify your story.

The border force programmes exist to make television; 99.99% of the very boring cases never make it on television, for obvious reasons.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by MADPhil
One additional thing that might be useful is evidence that you have a job to go back to at home.
But not a CV, they might see that as evidence of job hunting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.