FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Luton to Sloane Square by Train (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1672938-luton-sloane-square-train.html)

Nancy Colson Apr 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Luton to Sloane Square by Train

I am flying into Luton and plan to take the train into London. My final destination is Sloane Square. I'll have a fairly heavy bag and would like to avoid steps. I was wondering if it would be easier to transfer to the tube at Kings Cross or Farringdon?

Thanks!

UKtravelbear Apr 17, 2015 6:09 pm

Farringdon.

Far easier than trying to negotiate the St Pancras / King's Cross complex.

Though Blackfriars may be even better than Farringdon - as it would cut a whole slew of circle line stations out of your trip.

Mizter T Apr 17, 2015 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 24681903)
[...]
Though Blackfriars may be even better than Farringdon - as it would cut a whole slew of circle line stations out of your trip.

Agreed, that's a far better route - and there are lifts from the National Rail / Thameslink platforms to street level, and then from street level down to the Underground platforms.

If doing this just make sure that on leaving the Thameslink train at Blackfriars you turn left and follow the signs to the Underground station - the platforms of the rebuilt station at Blackfriars spans the river with entrances on both the north and south banks, but the Underground platforms are on the north side!

Also worth noting that the train tickets easyJet sells on-board on flights arriving at Luton Airport for onward travel to London are only valid as far as St Pancras (and for that matter only on Thameslink trains, not East Midlands Trains) - so don't buy one of these if you want to go the via Blackfriars route!

stut Apr 18, 2015 2:33 am

Oh, definitely Blackfriars. Easier change, more trains, and a very picturesque view from the platform.

Do bear in mind that the station at Luton isn't in the terminal, however - there is a bus link (and you need your ticket upfront). However, it's all pretty easy with luggage.

From St Pancras or Farringdon, there is no direct anticlockwise connection to Sloane Square anyway, you'd have to change at Edgware Road and that could involve steps. Clockwise will take forever.

Microwave Apr 18, 2015 2:57 am

Another vote for Blackfriars. For sure. It's an easy transfer and you're only a few stops away on the District or Circle line. Plus Blackfriars is step free, so bags will be easier.

Nancy Colson Apr 19, 2015 9:37 am

Thank you all so much! This is definitely the way to go.

I'm actually trying the new all business class airline -- La Compagnie -- which is why I am ending up at Luton. I'll let you know how it goes.

Microwave Apr 20, 2015 4:53 am

There's something incongruous with an all-business class airline flying into LTN... OK off topic, sorry. :)

stut Apr 20, 2015 5:07 am

Out of interest, do they use the executive terminal (as I believe MaxJet did), or the main terminal? The website is very unclear about such things.

(Am intrigued, as LTN is my nearest airport, for all its horror.)

Mizter T Apr 20, 2015 9:05 am

Also out of interest, does La Compagnie serve Campari on board?

Nancy Colson Apr 20, 2015 1:40 pm

I was hoping that they had taken over the old SilverJet facility which was really quite nice. Alas, they are going in and out of the main terminal. For $1000.00 round-trip, I'm willing to give it a try. I expect it will be something like Premium Economy with a larger seat and more leg room. I am not expecting it to compare with Business Class on other carriers.

lhrsfo Apr 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mizter T (Post 24692062)
Also out of interest, does La Compagnie serve Campari on board?

Nah!

stut Apr 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 24693910)
Nah!

They used to, but had to pay out a large settlement when a passenger ordered one and found a nice ear in it...

IAN-UK Apr 20, 2015 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 24691154)
There's something incongruous with an all-business class airline flying into LTN... OK off topic, sorry. :)

Luton and Sloane Square adds to the incongruity :D

shefgab Apr 24, 2015 11:01 am

I used to do this journey (well, starting in St.Albans, 2 stops from LTN) every week, and always went via Blackfriars. IIRC, there are only steps to leave the platform in Sloane Sq though?

Another option is to take the bus into London. It's slower, but almost always cheaper and sometimes more convenient:

easyBus runs frequent direct services (mostly in cramped minibuses) from outside the terminal at LTN (so avoid the £1.50 bus to the Luton Airport Parkway station) to Victoria Coach Station from ~ £2. They sometimes "codeshare" with Greenline buses (proper sized), operating as the Greenline 757 service.

National Express runs proper coaches on the same route from £5.

Victoria Coach Station is around a 10 min walk from Sloane Square tube.

EJetter Apr 28, 2015 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by shefgab (Post 24714919)
I used to do this journey (well, starting in St.Albans, 2 stops from LTN) every week, and always went via Blackfriars. IIRC, there are only steps to leave the platform in Sloane Sq though?

Another option is to take the bus into London. It's slower, but almost always cheaper and sometimes more convenient:

easyBus runs frequent direct services (mostly in cramped minibuses) from outside the terminal at LTN (so avoid the £1.50 bus to the Luton Airport Parkway station) to Victoria Coach Station from ~ £2. They sometimes "codeshare" with Greenline buses (proper sized), operating as the Greenline 757 service.

National Express runs proper coaches on the same route from £5.

Victoria Coach Station is around a 10 min walk from Sloane Square tube.

There are escalators from the platforms at Sloane Square to street level (but only stairs from street down to platform).