Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Gatwick Police Clamp Down on Uber Drivers (One Of Which Held no driving Licence)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gatwick Police Clamp Down on Uber Drivers (One Of Which Held no driving Licence)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Last Week Gatwick Police Clamped down on Illegal Uber activity at Gatwick Airport . 10 Uber drivers received a fixed penalty notice.

More Allarmingly 2 vehicles were seized.

One of the seized vehicle drivers had no driving licence so was unlawfully driving in the UK , with no insurance.

Think hard before you use Uber.

Last edited by jchand; Apr 4, 2015 at 2:14 am Reason: Error
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:34 am

I use Uber from Gatwick fairly regularly - typically UberX - and have never had any problems. The process is usually that you receive a telephone call advising you to go to the Drop Off point and you are met there about 3 minutes later - it's not like they're hanging around the airport waiting for the police to fine them.

Personally, I fail to see how the fact (?) they're not authorised by Gatwick to operate there affects the risk assessment, assuming you're happy to use Uber elsewhere.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by CD747
I use Uber from Gatwick fairly regularly - typically UberX - and have never had any problems. The process is usually that you receive a telephone call advising you to go to the Drop Off point and you are met there about 3 minutes later - it's not like they're hanging around the airport waiting for the police to fine them.

Personally, I fail to see how the fact (?) they're not authorised by Gatwick to operate there affects the risk assessment, assuming you're happy to use Uber elsewhere.
Having no driving licence or insurance is rather concerning, don't you think??
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Whilst it is fashionable to see regulation as the unnecessary dead hand of bureaucracy, surely in this case being authorised to pick up at LGW does have some real benefits.

One might be assurance that certain minimum standards are met, such a road worthy vehicle that is insured and driven by someone with a licence!
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA
Whilst it is fashionable to see regulation as the unnecessary dead hand of bureaucracy, surely in this case being authorised to pick up at LGW does have some real benefits.

One might be assurance that certain minimum standards are met, such a road worthy vehicle that is insured and driven by someone with a licence!
That assurance is supposed to come from the fact that Uber are licensed mincabs. If they had an unlicensed driver that's exceptionally poor and very surprising. I'd expect Uber to explain how that happened if this has been made public. My guess is a properly licensed Uber driver decided to let his mate drive for him, which is of course completely unacceptable.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Moving this thread along to the UK and Ireland forum. No penalty notices will be issued as a result of this moderator action

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Any sources for this? Such as a press release from the police.

It's just that the world is full of smear stories about Uber.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by paul4040

Indeed, a search brings up nothing.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paul4040

Check out Gatwick police Twitter feed. All on there
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
I use them whenever I travel to / from LHR or LGW, their fixed price deal in to town can't be matched IMO. They are reliable, I can see who is picking me up, and I can see when they will be there.

As for having no license or insurance, that is merely an allegation until any charge is made, and isn't mentioned in the Gatwick Police Twitter feed, it just shows the vehicle being loaded on a back of a lorry, mentions 10 uber drivers being asked to leave Gatwick (no reasons given), and numerous fixed penalty notices - which you do not get for driving otherwise in accordance / no insurance etc..
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
I use them whenever I travel to / from LHR or LGW, their fixed price deal in to town can't be matched IMO. They are reliable, I can see who is picking me up, and I can see when they will be there.

As for having no license or insurance, that is merely an allegation until any charge is made, and isn't mentioned in the Gatwick Police Twitter feed, it just shows the vehicle being loaded on a back of a lorry, mentions 10 uber drivers being asked to leave Gatwick (no reasons given), and numerous fixed penalty notices - which you do not get for driving otherwise in accordance / no insurance etc..
Check out all the conversations on the Gatwick police time line.

Not just the headline.

Last edited by stut; Apr 5, 2015 at 2:51 am Reason: fixed quote tags
Old Apr 4, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Maybe this is why there were no Ubers in the Gatwick area AT ALL when I arrived on Thurs night?! Nothing. Gatwick Cars had a ton of people waiting for their cars.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
As for having no license or insurance, that is merely an allegation until any charge is made, and isn't mentioned in the Gatwick Police Twitter feed,
You need to look a bit more carefully then.

https://twitter.com/gatwickpolice/st...55204311089152

I wouldn't be entrusting my family's safety to a company that is allegedly using drivers with no license or insurance.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bibbju
Maybe this is why there were no Ubers in the Gatwick area AT ALL when I arrived on Thurs night?! Nothing. Gatwick Cars had a ton of people waiting for their cars.
Probably. I avoide uber not just because of their questionable insurance but I refuse to support any company in the UK that dose not pay tax here. ( plus the recent hacking scandal ) .
Old Apr 4, 2015, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by jchand
Probably. I avoide uber not just because of their questionable insurance but I refuse to support any company in the UK that dose not pay tax here. ( plus the recent hacking scandal ) .
Sent from an iphone or from your Mac ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.