Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

getting the Metro [tram] at EDI into city centre

getting the Metro [tram] at EDI into city centre

Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:40 pm

If I had to head to York Place I'd take the tram too. From where the bus drops off at Waverley it's a short but fairly steep walk uphill to Princes Street that I could do without if I had baggage to haul. I'm not saying it's a big deal but if I could choose an alternative without it, I'd take it.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Edinburgh resident here. For York Place the tram would be a no brainer.

Also, the tram is more reliable time wise on the Haymarket - Airport section in rush hour - thats the section where it goes completely off road. If I'm going after work (at Haymarket) to the airport, I always tram it, despite having choice of 100 or tram. Not worth the hassle of hoping there are no traffic hold ups. The slow section of the tram is from Haymarket into York Place (although tram gets priority at traffic lights).
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Edinburgh resident here. For York Place the tram would be a no brainer.

Also, the tram is more reliable time wise on the Haymarket - Airport section in rush hour - thats the section where it goes completely off road. If I'm going after work (at Haymarket) to the airport, I always tram it, despite having choice of 100 or tram. Not worth the hassle of hoping there are no traffic hold ups. The slow section of the tram is from Haymarket into York Place (although tram gets priority at traffic lights).
Old Town resident here, and I second. The tram stop is right at York Place while the 100 stops at Waverley, not far but if you're careying luggage it can be bothersome (you're going uphill).

Just for the record, the 100 does have huge luggage racks. The bus can be faster in off-peak times, during the rush hour tram is the way to go.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: Miles&More IHG
starting to miss EDI now
Old May 31, 2016, 8:41 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Despite the misnomer in the title, didn't want to start a new thread as this one answered most of my questions.

But just a few minor things if anyone knows: is the Airport Zone Day Ticket for £9 the same thing whether bought from a tram ticket machine or the 100 bus? (Would it be strange to buy at the tram stop in order to pay by card, but then take the bus instead of the tram?)

And is this ticket valid for multiple trips to and from the airport on both 100 bus and tram?
Old May 31, 2016, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Despite the misnomer in the title, didn't want to start a new thread as this one answered most of my questions.

But just a few minor things if anyone knows: is the Airport Zone Day Ticket for £9 the same thing whether bought from a tram ticket machine or the 100 bus? (Would it be strange to buy at the tram stop in order to pay by card, but then take the bus instead of the tram?)

And is this ticket valid for multiple trips to and from the airport on both 100 bus and tram?
Yes, the Airport DAYticket (the stylised capitalisation is compulsory!) is the same thing whether purchased from a tram ticket machine or a driver on a bus (that's any Lothian Buses bus, not just the 100 Airlink bus).

No, it wouldn't be strange to buy it from a tram ticket machine but then board the bus - not least because the ticket machines take debit and credit cards for payment as well as cash.

And yes the ticket is valid for unlimited travel on that day.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:17 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Mizter T
No, it wouldn't be strange to buy it from a tram ticket machine but then board the bus - not least because the ticket machines take debit and credit cards for payment as well as cash.
That's what I said

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.