Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Are the British passports the same quality they used to be?

Old Jan 21, 15, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: The 4am BP pitstop club

So I've had a passport my whole life, I'm now 19 so about 4 passports in total. I only did one or two family holiday's a year in EU. 10 months ago, I got a new one after my last one expired back in 2013 for travel to see some of family in America that moved out there. I've made 3 visits to that USA & Canada since then and my passport is wrecked. It's been used more but my old passports appears to be in better condition then my new one. The paper on the ID page is so flimsy and the front has had the logo and writing scratched off, so am I just seeing things or are the newer passports lower quality?
Old Jan 21, 15, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
They used to be hard back covered. Don't remember the embossing rubbing off however I think they might be smaller in dimensions as well but can't say for sure.
So although poorer in quality I find them easier to handle.
Old Jan 22, 15, 3:19 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
The British passport is the best in the world!
Old Jan 22, 15, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My most recent passport has lasted much better than previous versions.
Old Jan 22, 15, 4:47 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I think my newish (2013) one is about the same quality as its predecessor. But it definitely isn't benefitting from being taken out of its cover and being flattened to go into passport reading machines. My brother's passport doesn't have a cover on it and has lost most of the embossing from the front. It is a lot older though, must be fairly close to expiring.
Old Jan 22, 15, 5:46 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I keep mine in a sealable plastic bag. I was carrying it in a bumbag when I fell into a canal in Vietnam but it survived. Unfortunately it was bent when I was carrying it in a money belt. Otherwise it has lasted well for 9.5 years and still has more than a year before expiry but I'm running out of blank pages.
Old Jan 22, 15, 6:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I think they've taken a step up from a low point. My last passport but one was the one with the picture page on the back cover, laminated in a way that it instantly looked like a fake. At the time, I was travelling frequently from Strasbourg to Basel, and the snooty immigration officers at that miserable little cabin at Bale-SNCF used to run their fingernails under the laminate, each time making it look ever more like a forgery.

My current passport (one of the last pre-RFID lots) isn't bad - the cover print has worn off, but the contents are fine - and it's now 9 years old.

The latest batch, one of which MrsStut has, seem very resilient (and I love the progression of the background pictures on the pages).

I keep mine in a travel wallet, which is a wonderful thing - designed for passport, boarding passes, various loyalty cards and multiple currencies, as well as a little store for A4-folded-in-3.
Old Jan 22, 15, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
The gold lettering and design on the covers of passports issued from 2014 are now embossed (instead of just printed) so that they don't rub off as easily.

These passports also have their picture pages in the front to bring them in line with many other countries.

The ID page feels flimsy, as the photograph is printed and not embedded, but is actually extremely difficult to tear (by design).

Not having any laminated pages (and certainly not having a photograph embedded in the page) makes forgery far more difficult.

I think the quality of UK passports has improved drastically in recent years.
Old Jan 22, 15, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Blue,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Not as good as the old Blue ones,written in ink,still have my old one,issued in Canberra,got stopped quite a few times with it,as it had an odd number.....I was younger then....
Old Jan 22, 15, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Her Majesty's Prison UK, parole denied, the flogging continues
Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
No, they are not.
Old Jan 22, 15, 4:09 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
I got a new one last month as almost 10 years were up. There had been no gold lettering left on the cover for the last few years.
Old Jan 23, 15, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
my last one had no gold left on it at all - having the gold rubbing off seems a mark of someone using it regularly and a badge of honour. Having a pristine passport is for once a year, put it in a drawer the rest of the year type travellers
Old Jan 23, 15, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
my last one had no gold left on it at all - having the gold rubbing off seems a mark of someone using it regularly and a badge of honour. Having a pristine passport is for once a year, put it in a drawer the rest of the year type travellers
Quite! Ideally the passport should also have random stickers and slightly bent edges.

Passport covers are just wrong.
Old Jan 23, 15, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Her Majesty's Prison UK, parole denied, the flogging continues
Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Random stickers? The reverse of my passport is totally covered in them. Come on, you need to fly more.
Old Jan 23, 15, 7:45 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Mine has a leather cover which is so nice that I don't want it to get damaged, never mind the actual passport getting hurt. So the passport is in its cover and that is inside a BA WT+ amenity wallet. Which is getting a bit tatty, I really should find a replacement.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: