FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   U.K. and Ireland (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484/)
-   -   Help with LHR layover (I know what I want to do) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland/1621886-help-lhr-layover-i-know-what-i-want-do.html)

horse glasses Oct 20, 2014 12:17 am

Help with LHR layover (I know what I want to do)

I will arrive at LHR from CAI on a MS flight around 12:30 on 12/23, departing the next morning, 12/24 at 9:30 on a UA flight.

I have never been to London, so I know I won't be seeing everything. I think I'd rather do some shopping than try to cram a bunch of sightseeing into one afternoon. There are a lot of stores on Oxford St that I've been interested in going to. I'm assuming everything is open relatively late since it's December 23rd?

My only other interest is vegetarian food. The UK has always been light years ahead on meat substitutes and all manner of vegetarian junk food. Any recommendations on somewhere for me to eat and load up on candy to take home are welcome.

Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated. I will be alone and know nothing about how to get around or what hotel would be best. I generally prefer the route of "least likely to get lost or mess up".

rwoman Oct 20, 2014 1:42 am

Originally Posted by horse glasses (Post 23703616)
I will arrive at LHR from CAI on a MS flight around 12:30 on 12/23, departing the next morning, 12/24 at 9:30 on a UA flight.

I have never been to London, so I know I won't be seeing everything. I think I'd rather do some shopping than try to cram a bunch of sightseeing into one afternoon. There are a lot of stores on Oxford St that I've been interested in going to. I'm assuming everything is open relatively late since it's December 23rd?

My only other interest is vegetarian food. The UK has always been light years ahead on meat substitutes and all manner of vegetarian junk food. Any recommendations on somewhere for me to eat and load up on candy to take home are welcome.

Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated. I will be alone and know nothing about how to get around or what hotel would be best. I generally prefer the route of "least likely to get lost or mess up".

Many stores will likely close between 7-8pm. Another shopping option is the Westfield (one in West London, one near Stratford in East London) which usually closes 8-9pm during the holiday season.

As far as loading up on candy, most shops sell candy; is there something specific you're looking for?

The Tube is probably your best bet for transportation - you can get an Oyster card at LHR.

For hotels, what is your budget?

UKtravelbear Oct 20, 2014 2:38 am

Selfridges and Debenhams are normally open until 21.00 every day until Saturday. John Lewis to 20.00 and House of Fraser until 22.00.

Many of the smaller shops seem to close around 7.00 PM.

But all are likely to stay open later in the run up to Christmas.

I know you said you don't want to sightsee but I'd try and check out at least one museum / gallery during your time in London it at all possible. Several of them will have decorated christmas trees and Tate Britain generally has one with some sort of twist.

I don't know any specifically vegetarian restaurants though.

And as to candy what sort are you after? London has a wide range of choice from the mass market cheap US type to artisan chocolates and everything in between.

As to hotels it will depend on your budget but decide soon. Many hotels will be getting booked up with tourists as well as those wanting a bed for the night after the works christmas party to avoid a journey home when worse for wear!

UAPremExecflyer Oct 20, 2014 3:11 am

Vegetarian food in London?
Every Indian always has loads of good options.
As for London, in general, suggest you look at http://www.timeout.com/london among other places

stut Oct 20, 2014 3:49 am

Woodlands is a great veg Indian restaurant down Marylebone way.

Or, if you head out of the centre, the wonderful South Indian chain Saravana Bhavan now has several branches, although in less obvious locations.

Gagravarr Oct 20, 2014 5:36 am

If you want good but cheap veggie food, there's a couple of Vegetarian Indian restaurants on Drummond Street near Euston station that I normally find good. Diwana is one I head to fairly often - looks basic, food is amazing, prices increadible for central London!

Flying Flis Oct 20, 2014 6:55 am

If you want vegetarian food near Oxford Street, then Mildred's is reputed to be one of the best veggie restaurants in London and is only a couple of minutes walk away:

http://www.mildreds.co.uk/

Hamleys and Selfridges will have a lot of speciality candy but if you just want general UK brands to take home, then there is a Tesco at Piccaddily Circus which is open until midnight and will be a lot cheaper than buying from smaller shops or newsagents:

http://www.tesco.com/store-locator/uk/?bID=3093

It is also conveniently located for you to jump on the underground back to Heathrow if you are staying out that way.

Swanhunter Oct 20, 2014 7:49 am

Can I politely suggest you would be out of your mind going near any retail on the 23rd? It is one of the 10 busiest shopping days of the year and Oxford Street will resemble one of the circles of hell. It may be marginally less crazy this year as the 23rd falls on a Tueaday but it will be horrible. My new office is on Oxford St and I am dreading December.

Some excellent recommendations on vegetarian food above. Also check out Nopi and Ottolenghi which offer some really nice veg options while not being purely vegetarian.

stut Oct 20, 2014 8:26 am

Oh yes, Yotam Ottelenghi is rather excellent. If I had space for the mind-boggling array of spices at home, I'd rarely cook anything but his stuff...

VivoPerLei Oct 20, 2014 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 23704724)
Can I politely suggest you would be out of your mind going near any retail on the 23rd? It is one of the 10 busiest shopping days of the year and Oxford Street will resemble one of the circles of hell. It may be marginally less crazy this year as the 23rd falls on a Tueaday but it will be horrible. My new office is on Oxford St and I am dreading December.

Some excellent recommendations on vegetarian food above. Also check out Nopi and Ottolenghi which offer some really nice veg options while not being purely vegetarian.

When we have guests that want to go to Oxford Street my recommendation is to be there at 1000 on the dot. Still relatively quiet at that time in the morning. As the afternoon wears on, forget it. It was a struggle just this past Saturday afternoon.

BearX220 Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am

But as it is OP's only day in London, surely better to grit his teeth and plunge in than just sit in a hotel room out on the Bath Road for 20 hours.

stut Oct 20, 2014 11:57 am

My one tip for coping with Oxford Street during the Christmas rush - don't use Oxford Street. All the major shops have exits on to parallel roads, and these are infinitely more civilised to use. Also beware of Oxford Street, Tottenham Court Road and Bond Street tubes, as these can be quite scarily overcrowded (and occasionally closed as a result).

horse glasses Oct 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Perhaps I should note that I'm a 30 year old American female and I want to go to places like Primark and Topshop - I want to buy cheaply made crap that I see in blogs that is different from the cheaply made crap I can buy at home. :D

Candy, I am not looking for anything expensive. Things you could buy in a grocery store. I am after Starburst in particular, I used to do a candy trade online years ago with someone for UK Starburst, because they had different flavors and they don't use gelatin in theirs.

As for hotel, I would prefer it be under $100usd but that's negotiable if it will provide me some kind of extraordinary convenience. It would seem many of the airport hotels are pretty reasonable right now, but I'm confused on the whole getting to and from them and into London part. I am sure I will want to get to a hotel first and at least drop off my bag before doing anything further.

horse glasses Oct 20, 2014 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 23704724)
Can I politely suggest you would be out of your mind going near any retail on the 23rd? It is one of the 10 busiest shopping days of the year and Oxford Street will resemble one of the circles of hell.

Haha, I have considered this. But I also live in Las Vegas, which is another similar circle of hell.

UKtravelbear Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by horse glasses (Post 23706940)

As for hotel, I would prefer it be under $100usd but that's negotiable if it will provide me some kind of extraordinary convenience. It would seem many of the airport hotels are pretty reasonable right now, but I'm confused on the whole getting to and from them and into London part. I am sure I will want to get to a hotel first and at least drop off my bag before doing anything further.

I'm not sure you'll get anywhere for that budget. $100 = ~ £65-70

For example the travelodge at Vauxhall (right next to the rail and tube stations (victoria line) ) is about £80 on the 23rd December. It is less than 10 mins to Oxford Circus so might count as 'central'

Starbursts - Tesco sell them and there are a few in the central london area - just check the Tesco website.

And if you want to shop in Primark there are TWO on Oxford street!