Search

HEX ticket question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
HEX ticket question

Hi

Does anyone know, if you buy in person at the ticket desk at Paddington, can you use a railcard to get a discount on the Heathrow Express? (ie annual Gold Card).

Also, can you get your journey to start from the edge of zone 2 (to Heathrow).

Every little helps!

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:16 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
It used to be the case that if you used the normal railway ticket machines (i.e. not the heathrow express branded ones) you could add a railcard in the normal way.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Yes, from the ticket office at both LHR and Paddington, or from the non-HEX ticket machines (none at LHR), or online (not hex.com) and collect from a non-HEX ticket machine/post.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
you can use railcards to get a discount but I think the ticket must be purchased from a manned ticket office

but only from Paddington-LHR or reverse
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:30 am

Using an existing travelcard you have to ask for 'boundary zone 2' to XXX. Needs to be from the desk, machines don't let you change the station of origin. Not sure if possible on Heathrow Express (or Gat Ex for that matter).

Certainly fine on normal trains to Gatwick or Luton. If you have a zone 1-2, buy a ticket from Balham or Honor Oak to Gatwick, which are 2/3 hence your travelcard gets you to the border. No need for the train to stop, unlike the ticket splitting thing.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
the following is from heathrow express website

Railcards

You can use any of the following railcards on Heathrow Express, providing you buy your ticket from the ticket office at Heathrow or Paddington before boarding.

Discount using the Network Railcard or Annual Gold Card is only available on Heathrow Express after 10:00 Monday-Fridays, expect weekends and public holidays.

More information: www.railcard.co.uk/network
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Whenderson
Hi

Does anyone know, if you buy in person at the ticket desk at Paddington, can you use a railcard to get a discount on the Heathrow Express? (ie annual Gold Card).

Also, can you get your journey to start from the edge of zone 2 (to Heathrow).

Every little helps!

Thanks in advance
Hello, and good questions.

Yes, you can add a railcard discount at the manned ticket kiosk at Paddington - no problem at all.

You may only use a London Zones extension ticket in conjunction with a zonal ticket such as a Travelcard (which is I assume, what you're asking). Travelcards are not valid at all on Heathrow Express I'm afraid so that is not an option for you.

It's £13.80 or £22.40 return for you - Paddington to Heathrow, with a Railcard discount.

I hope that's a clear enough answer. I work in the industry and have double-checked my answers using the fares manual so I hope my advice comes with some authority!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have a railcard (not the Network one however) and I use it quite easily from the Paddington end via the machine collection procedure, the National Railway machines work for this. Also in person at the HEX office by the platform. From LHR you need to go to the ticket counter, however the HEXoggers at the International and Domestic arrival areas will also issue railcard discount from their hand held gizmos if you show the card. I've never shown my railcard to the onboard inspectors, however.

I haven't found a way of getting a Railcard discount AND the Heathrow Rewards Avios AND smartphone download, but that's asking for the moon on a stick. At least there's the Amex Avios.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:02 am

If you're wanting to minimise your spend, just do the whole journey by tube. £3 (off peak) or £5 (peak) on Oyster to Z2. If your final destination isn't Paddington then HEx is unlikely to save much time.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by cazoz
Certainly fine on normal trains to Gatwick or Luton. If you have a zone 1-2, buy a ticket from Balham or Honor Oak to Gatwick, which are 2/3 hence your travelcard gets you to the border. No need for the train to stop, unlike the ticket splitting thing.
This is not good advice.

A one-day Travelcard plus a ticket from Balham/Honor Oak Park/wherever to Gatwick Airport is not valid on Gatwick Express or any train that does not stop at the point where you change from one ticket to another. Even if you have a 7-day or longer Travelcard, it's valid only if your train passes through that station so you have to make sure you know which route it's going to go. Expect to be cited for a £39.80 penalty fare (shortly going up to £79.60) if you get inspected on board and have an invalid combination.

Stick to boundary zone tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.